Washingtonians- Do you like where you live? Either way, why?

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
Grew up in Ballard, bought my first home in Marysville, sold after 5 years and moved to Yakima. I’ve been here for almost 18 years. For an outdoor guy there is plenty for me to do around here. But I’m ready to move on.

The wife and I recently bought property just out of Oroville. that’s going to be the end game for me. We will be retiring out there in the next 5 to 6 years.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks for all the great input guys. The good news is I think there are plenty of places in our beautiful PNW to retire in. I think the Mrs and I have some Airbnb, VRBO and camping to do in the next few years!

Chris Bailey

Dirt Sniffer
Forum Supporter
At the moment my ideal vacation home is a 4x4 F350 Diesel-Dually with a big-ass truck camper on the back, which is handy for accounting purposes because it'd probably cost as much as an old-fashioned cabin-in-the-woods.....
I have an old fashioned cabin in the woods and you can definitely find one for less than the cost of that truck/camper combo. After spending most of my time up there doing repairs and maintenance over the last couple years, I frequently find myself wishing I had the camper instead. The flexibility would be nice, but it's nice to have a place to call your own. The cabin is definitely part of my retirement plan, but since mine is in the national forest there are a lot of restrictions on use and they are definitely second homes. My cabin is on HWY 410 a couple hours' drive east of my house in Seattle so it provides some balance to the urban environment. I like Seattle, but I grew up in Yakima and still need some of that dry heat or decent snow on the other side of the pass. I'm about 10 or so years from retirement and don't see this balance changing for a while.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
Bellingham always wanted to be like Seattle. Now it is except smaller.
Lots of crime including gunplay and gang drive by shootings.
Lots of homeless people. A huge drug community that fuels the crime problem.
Lots of rich transplants that have caused the price of real estate to be made unaffordable for the people with average incomes.
Daily crashes and backups on I-5 at rush hour. Yes, there is a rush hour.
Everything to do is south unless you want to go to B.C.
Fishing the beaches pretty much sucks.
Some decent bass and put and take lake fishing.
Other than that it's just ok.
64 years living here. Wish I could turn back the clock.
That’s a spot on summary. Bellingham/Whatcom County is beautiful from a wide lens, but so are many other places around the country, just different features. I was born, raised, moved away for 14 years and came back. Bellingham has really grown… some good things came, some real bad things came. Urban planners have failed to plan for growth… eg traffic. Homeless/Crime/Drug abuse/Mental instability issues really plague downtown and any other place within walking distance of a public transportation stop including our parks. As I sit here at McNastys and have a McDouble, the heat showed up to deal with a homeless dude verbally abusing the staff. The BPD’s hands have been tied by the politicians/voters, and now we have much more nonsense. Like I said, it is a beautiful area, but if it weren’t for being close to family, I would pull the ejection handle and be gone tomorrow.

JayB

Steelhead
That’s a spot on summary. Bellingham/Whatcom County is beautiful from a wide lens, but so are many other places around the country, just different features. I was born, raised, moved away for 14 years and came back. Bellingham has really grown… some good things came, some real bad things came. Urban planners have failed to plan for growth… eg traffic. Homeless/Crime/Drug abuse/Mental instability issues really plague downtown and any other place within walking distance of a public transportation stop including our parks. As I sit here at McNastys and have a McDouble, the heat showed up to deal with a homeless dude verbally abusing the staff. The BPD’s hands have been tied by the politicians/voters, and now we have much more nonsense. Like I said, it is a beautiful area, but if it weren’t for being close to family, I would pull the ejection handle and be gone tomorrow.

A fair amount of my ruminating about where to retire is dedicated to trying to find to find places in the overlapping zone of a Venn-diagram where one circle says "Places I want to live" and the other says "Places where the government will enforce the law as necessary to provide safe, clean, orderly public spaces, and will likely continue to do so for the next 20 years." The overlapping zone is small, and shrinking much more quickly since the rise of remote work and dramatically increased outmigration from California.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
wifes niece in Boise Idaho complains about the number of Oregonians that have moved in the past three years, driving up housing prices and adding to the congestion...a neighbor did so last summer, sold for well over asking to one of the Californians moving into Oregon...when the Idahoans sell out because of the damn Oregonians ruining their state and move to Montana, Old Man can complain about them damn Idahoans moving in and ruining the state..

Yak

Just Hatched
We went from Woodinville to Wenatchee area for retirement and is nice. Live in East Wenatchee with a beautiful view looking west.

Weather - dryer, warmer (too warm at times), smoke from fires at times. Colder winters with snow but Mission Ridge is close for good skiing.
Medical - decent but for Medicare limited to Health Alliance. Look into this one as other locations will have other choices. Many more in Western WA.
Fishing - Yakima 1 hr in light traffic. Many other smaller rivers & streams. Good lakes and then there is the Columbia.
Typical grocery stores but is an agriculture area so nice fruit and veggie stands (and good climate to grow your own).
A lot of growth in the area and real estate reflects it with increasing values. Also some higher traffic on the main arteries in town. New bridge over Wenatchee river coming so may help but will have construction hassels while it is being built.
Nice parks, trails etc for walking, biking etc.
Access to the Cascades from the East is really nice compared to the traffic routine coming from the west.

TylerSadowski

Just Hatched
I suggest either Redmond or Kirkland. only 30 min drive east from Seattle. Easy access to the freeways to get to Puget Sound and quick access to the freeway to get to eastern WA for the state’s better trout and bass waters.
Just don't attempt to do this during rush hour, you will go nowhere fast. Been in Kirkland 37 years and although the Eastside is great place to live its overpriced, almost doubled population in 10 years and is now home to all the big tech companies and all the problems that comes with. Not to whine but too much of a good thing is what's happening here. Totem lake has been turned into dense apartments and condo living but it is close to evergreen medical facility which is only growing and 405 is right there. The culture definitely has changed too, lots of teslas, luxury goods etc nothing wrong here again but rapid change and our weird culture to begin with makes you happy to be born here and already have friends and family.

Last edited: