Walleye on the fly

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
You stole my thoughts about being humbled (and impressed) by @Northern , @Billy and @RichS's persistence and their catch (not a little jealous). Today I sat at my vise and tried to, uh, compose a walleye fly, tied up something awful and then remembered I have a gear box of warmwater tackle. I pulled out five jigs, stripped off the rubber and am going to try and come up with something that a walleye (or catfish or perch or carp or trout or bass or....) might bite.

I know exactly where Billy was fishing from his last post: heading their Friday morning before the big freeze hits Friday night. Fingers crossed. (I'm tempted to be a dirt bag and sneak a night crawler onto one of the "flies".)
When one goes down the path of the Pink Nighty, one changes. Could be better, is probably worse, but the change is unmistakable.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
If you can get them down, may not hurt to try some larger baitfish patterns.

Growing up, I always caught my biggest ones on decent sized rapalas. Hell, tie in some rattles to really make it interesting.
Dude, even the little guys will smack those bandit shallow plugs like crazy. Always blows me away when you hook a 12” walleye on a 6” stick bait 😂

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Solid work here (y). Always love to see a new species targeted with fly rods. Especially when getting "deep" is the concern. Modern, deep sinking lines like the Airflo Depthfinder should make easy work of putting flies at walleye depth. Maybe not the 500 and 700gr lines we use for tuna, but I'd think the 300 would get the job done on an appropriate weight rod. Another deep water fish in that category I'd be interested in are lake whitefish.

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
Anyone ever target them with any consistency?

If so what flies have work? Tactics and strategies?

I've got a lot of lakes around me with Walleye and have spent zero time fishing for them. Starting to ponder😁
I‘ve seen a friend of mine catch them, walleye, regularly on traditional grey ghost streamers, trolled on a very slow meander.

on other waters, this streamer has caught me pike minnow. : (

Jay

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Happy to report some continued success! I found the fish again in around 15-20 feet of water off structure with baitfish around. Water temps are down to 49 degrees and the air temp was only 45. Surprisingly I also found a good bass bite. Ended up with two keepers a 20 incher which was fat as can be and a 16 incher also a nice fat fish! Success on a craw jig and a baitfish jig again off my type 5. Caught a bunch of nice smallies mixed in.

1000007248-01.jpeg

1000007299-01.jpeg

1000007251-01.jpeg

1000007303-01.jpeg

1000007289-01.jpeg

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Happy to report some continued success! I found the fish again in around 15-20 feet of water off structure with baitfish around. Water temps are down to 49 degrees and the air temp was only 45. Surprisingly I also found a good bass bite. Ended up with two keepers a 20 incher which was fat as can be and a 16 incher also a nice fat fish! Success on a craw jig and a baitfish jig again off my type 5. Caught a bunch of nice smallies mixed in.

View attachment 88868

View attachment 88870

View attachment 88867

View attachment 88869

View attachment 88872
Awesome! Please post pics of the fillets 😋

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I forgot to take a picture but I just cooked the walleye in a skillet with a little butter, lemon pepper and spices. Sides included some candied carrots from my garden and rice. Came out very good!View attachment 88965
Yum. Been a long time since I've had walleye, but I remember thinking it was like a freshwater rockfish.

Wild "rice" was the classic Midwest side dish.

Kamishak Steve

Just Hatched
Walleye can definitely be caught on flies in Central WA, and even some nice ones, but as with anything, the trick is locating them. As is typical with walleye, they are normally on the bottom, typically most active at dawn or dusk, and often prefer a light wind chop to break up the surface. As for flies, i havent found them to be especially picky, I have caught them on crayfish patterns, and baitfish imitations. The key seems to be more which line you are using and how well you are able to fish the bottom, rather than pattern. Shoot me a PM and i can dial you in on some spots where they are available.

Attachments

• IMG_5527.jpeg
    IMG_5527.jpeg
    686.5 KB · Views: 26
  • walleye.jpeg
    walleye.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 24