Walk and Wade salmon net recommendations

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Lost my landing net yesterday to the river. Looking for replacement recommendations. I'm basically looking for something that has as big a hoop as possible while still being able to hang it on my back. Recommendations/advice appreciated. I estimate my old net was like 14"x19" which was too small for bigger coho. Pic is what I had.

20231027_103644.jpg

Divad

Whitefish
Frabill Floating Landing Net in 17x22 or 19x25. The webbing is a nice balance of strength and weight, I’ve put chinook, coho, pinks and steelhead in mine.

For chum I’d get the thicker/heavier rubber mesh like the one you photographed.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I prefer to handle them as gently as possible, so I use a net to keep them out of the rocks and sand. I’ve seen them thrash and beat themselves on the beach when someone lands them without a net, and it doesn’t look good for them at all--not to mention making it harder to release them gently. It's an opinion, but if we are supposed to wet our smooth, soft, hands before touching them to protect the slime coat I can only imagine that scraping them on rocks and sand and then letting them dash themselves on cobble is bad too, so to me it's worth it to carry a net. But, this is beside the point. You’re asking for net recommendations, not for us to weigh in on whether people should use nets or not.

I like the fishpond's mid-length boat net when wading. Not necessarily advocating spending fishpond prices, but the basket and handle size was what I was in the market for and fishpond was what I found easily. Basket is 25" x 16" if I recall correctly, and I think the handle is about 14". I don't like using anything with a smaller basket for salmons because here's what a salmon-sized rainbow looks like in the next basket-size down (I think it’s 12x18x12):
IMG_6128.jpeg

And here’s what a good-sized coho looks like in the mid-length boat (less bend in the fish):
1699969308575.jpeg

Edit: Clarity

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I prefer to handle them as gently as possible, so I use a net to keep them out of the rocks and sand. I’ve seen them thrash and beat themselves on the beach when someone lands them without a net, and it doesn’t look good for them at all--not to mention making it harder to release them gently. It's an opinion, but if we are supposed to wet our smooth, soft, hands before touching them to protect the slime coat I can only imagine that scraping them on rocks and sand and then letting them dash themselves on cobble is bad too, so to me it's worth it to carry a net.

I like the fishpond's mid-length boat net when wading. Not necessarily advocating spending fishpond prices, but the basket and handle size was what I was in the market for and fishpond was what I found easily. Basket is 25" x 16" if I recall correctly, and I think the handle is about 14". I don't like using anything with a smaller basket for salmons because here's what a salmon-sized rainbow looks like in the next basket-size down (I think it’s 12x18x12):
View attachment 90649

And here’s what a good-sized coho looks like in the mid-length boat (less bend in the fish):
View attachment 90651

Edit: Fixed a bunch of spacing issues.
Yup. Handling as gently as possible is the goal. Fish are partially in the water while in the bag (if they are going back). How long down does the net hang on your back. I remember you having a few inches on me when we met.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yup. Handling as gently as possible is the goal. Fish are partially in the water while in the bag (if they are going back). How long down does the net hang on your back. I remember you having a few inches on me when we met.
It depends on how I hang it, but it never interferes unless I’ve got it stuffed in the waistband of my stripping basket. On my back via backpack or slingbag it hangs down to belt-high. It's about 45” long, and I like to mount it with a Gear Keeper and magnets so the handle sticks up and the net doesn't hang too far down. I look like fat Thor, but picture Conan the Barbarian's sword-on-the-back for how I'm carrying it.

You’re welcome to borrow it anytime if you’d like to try it out. Recently I have been using nets I’ve made.

onefish

Steelhead
No need whatsoever for a net, bring the fish into 6-18 inches of water, grab leader ( don't let go once you have grabbed the leader ) slip out hook, turn fish back into deeper water, some fish can be gently supported by the wrist of the tail while they recuperate, repeat.
Don't remove the fish from the water for hero shots, don't drag it onto the beach, don't bother to figure out how long it is, just release it as quickly and gently as possible.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
No need whatsoever for a net, bring the fish into 6-18 inches of water, grab leader ( don't let go once you have grabbed the leader ) slip out hook, turn fish back into deeper water, some fish can be gently supported by the wrist of the tail while they recuperate, repeat.
Don't remove the fish from the water for hero shots, don't drag it onto the beach, don't bother to figure out how long it is, just release it as quickly and gently as possible.
I'm going to respectfully disagree. Landing nets allow you to substantially shorten the fight which is better for the fish. Additionally coho come in looking something like this after rolling and it's often not adequate to just "slip the hook out" and let them go on their merry way. Man-tangled-in-cables-blog.jpg

Pescaphile

Steelhead
This is how it's done. The fish stays in the water and you usually don't even need to touch the fish at all. If a fish rolls and wraps in the leader like Coho are wont to do, just unroll it. If the leader is snagged it'll usually be in their gill plate or/and behind their pectoral fins and, if it is, a little flick rearward on the leader in these places while unrolling and it'll come free right away. This is much easier to do and easier on the fish than unrolling it in a net and there is no need to play the fish longer than would be necessary to get it ready to be netted.