Wading Boot Insoles?

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket insoles for wading boots. I've developed plantar fasciitis and a heel spur on my left foot over the past year, and it sucks. I'm using various insoles in my street shoes, but I'm not sure how well they would fare after some time on/in the river. If anyone has dealt with a similar situation, I'd love to hear how you handled it.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I put them in every pair of shoes I wear - including my wading boots. Once I found which pair worked for me I purchased several sets. They are mostly plastic, foam and some synthetic material and don't seem bothered by immersion in water.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I put them in every pair of shoes I wear - including my wading boots. Once I found which pair worked for me I purchased several sets. They are mostly plastic, foam and some synthetic material and don't seem bothered by immersion in water.
I have done the same thing as _WW_ stated, just used the same insole as my street shoes and it's been great.
Thanks for chiming in guys. I'll try what I'm already using.

I've had a couple bouts with plantar fasciatis - NO FUN!!! On the advice of my doc, I started wearing "Superfeet" insoles in all of my shoes that will accommodate them, including wading boots. I haven't had a problem in years. I also started a regimen of stretching my feet leaning in against a wall when I get up in the morning.
EDIT: I use the most serious of the Superfeet insoles.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Stretch for sure....for a quick fix raid your old shoes for insoles with the thickest heel cup, cut the insole in half, insert into your wading boots on top of the existing insoles, it will both cushion and provide a lift to reduce pressure
Ran facility operations for a podiatric medical school for two decades, tried custom orthotics for my problem feet from a bunch of companies, Prolab in CA hands down the most comfortable. Superfeet work for many who don't have other problems such as low or high arches.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I've had a couple bouts with plantar fasciatis - NO FUN!!! On the advice of my doc, I started wearing "Superfeet" insoles in all of my shoes that will accommodate them, including wading boots. I haven't had a problem in years. I also started a regimen of stretching my feet leaning in against a wall when I get up in the morning.
EDIT: I use the most serious of the Superfeet insoles.
Had the same problem a few years back...and started wearing Superfeet insoles....as advised by @Jojo. Worked like a charm.

Xoxo

Had the same problem a few years back...and started wearing Superfeet insoles....as advised by @Jojo. Worked like a charm.
OH @krusty …. i love when advice I give works!!! I just knew it totally worked for me. Even though i got over my plantar fasciitis years ago i still buy a new pair of (I use the orange ones) SuperFeet once a year ! I’ve never had it come back.

Xoxo

SuperFeet are expensive but they are worth the money! You can always pull them out of one shoe and move them to another if you don’t want to buy multiple pairs of Superfeet. At first it was kind of weird to get used to the hard heel, but now i can’t stand to not have them in my shoe.

Edited to add: _WW_ is right too. Water doesn’t affect them @ColinShots . I ran in the them for years and got them soaking wet at times. Just know that if you take them out and then use them in other shoes, like walking shoes you will probably want to replace them after about a year.

Last edited:

ARecher

Smolt
Not exactly the same situation but maybe it'll help someone else...Year before last, i was using bootfoot neoprene waders. After fishing the beaches all summer/fall and a few trips to rocky river environs, I developed some pretty bad tendonitis in my ankles. It went away with some rest (off season) and wearing "Powerstep" inserts in my everyday shoes. It took quite a while though as we normally walk our dog a few miles every day. Last year I got stockingfoot waders and some decent boots and didn't really have that problem. It can be pretty debilitating. Driving home from the river a couple of times I was hardly able to use the brake pedal with my right foot. Avoiding that condition has become pretty important to me. My Powerstep inserts have gotten wet a few times (not fishing). Dried them out and they were fine.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Last year I had plantar in my right foot and it was so painful that any weight on the foot was just excruciating and walking was difficult. Crutches were needed at one point. I read everything I could on plantar, asked questions and tried different methods to correct it. One of the things I did was buy Superfeet but for me they didn't work and I got better results from just regular inserts. I'm sure they will work for most people but for my foot with a very high arch they just didn't work out. I am not knocking them and suggest an insert that works for you, you may need to try a few before you find the one that works.

What did work was the other things I tried. I bought the foam wedges that you stand on to stretch your feet and used them daily. I did stretches before bed and again in the mornings. I filled a bottle with water and froze it then rolled my foot on it several times a day. I avoided going barefoot or just in my stocking feet like the plague and put inserts in all of my shoes. The thing that seemed to put me over the top was the purchase of a new pair of fleece lined Krocs. I started wearing these almost full time as they brought me so much comfort. Now almost a year later I have been pain free for months without a hint of discomfort.

It is unclear just which thing finally got rid of the pain but I would suggest learning as much as possible about plantar from many sources and trying everything possible to get rid of it. It can be beaten with the right procedure.

Under the best of circumstances, it will often take months for the pain to subside completely. This makes Ive's recommendations so valuable. Learn what you can, wear proper shoes with inserts/insoles, and do physical therapy (stretching, etc.). The pain is always worse in the morning and as your foot loosens up the pain diminishes, but never really goes away.

Most people sleep with their toes extended in a direction away from their torso. This position shortens the tendons under your feet and contributes to plantar fasciitis. Simply lying on one's back, the weight of bed covers imposes this position. One recommendation for bad cases is to wear a boot that keeps your foot in a 'normal' right-angle position relative to your leg while you sleep.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Same here, but I use the abeo inserts that you could get from the Walking Company (RIP). I need an insert with a higher arch, and if I could just put a golf ball in my shoe I'd be happy. Anyway, the abeo inserts have delaminated a little from the water, but still hold together enough. Superfeet are good, too, and should be more durable in water.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Last year I had plantar in my right foot and it was so painful that any weight on the foot was just excruciating and walking was difficult. Crutches were needed at one point. I read everything I could on plantar, asked questions and tried different methods to correct it. One of the things I did was buy Superfeet but for me they didn't work and I got better results from just regular inserts. I'm sure they will work for most people but for my foot with a very high arch they just didn't work out. I am not knocking them and suggest an insert that works for you, you may need to try a few before you find the one that works.

What did work was the other things I tried. I bought the foam wedges that you stand on to stretch your feet and used them daily. I did stretches before bed and again in the mornings. I filled a bottle with water and froze it then rolled my foot on it several times a day. I avoided going barefoot or just in my stocking feet like the plague and put inserts in all of my shoes. The thing that seemed to put me over the top was the purchase of a new pair of fleece lined Krocs. I started wearing these almost full time as they brought me so much comfort. Now almost a year later I have been pain free for months without a hint of discomfort.

It is unclear just which thing finally got rid of the pain but I would suggest learning as much as possible about plantar from many sources and trying everything possible to get rid of it. It can be beaten with the right procedure.
It's good to hear that something actually helped you. I'm stretching 4 times a day (I have calendar reminders set so I don't forget). My doctor mentioned the ice bottle, but I haven't tried it yet. But, I have a bottle in the freezer now... I'm also avoding walking barefoot. I have some Adidas cloudfoam slides that I wear around the house, and I found that the Adidas boost shoes have helped with my heel spur becuase of how soft they are (I'm sure the New Balance freshfaom would be similar). I'm still working on finding the right insole. I've used Superfeet before, but I really feel like my heel needs some extra padding now due to the heel spur. Honestly it's like walking on a nail. I guess it's all trial and error until I find something that works for me.

ARecher

Smolt
I have no loyalty to this company but they seem to have a number of configurations. Might be worth checking out. I went with the neutral arch "pinnacle" series as a place to start for my problems. I saw this brand recommended in a really old thread on a fishing forum. I think the person recommending them was a podiatrist (don't quote me on that). Good luck.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
If you find something that works for you but you don't want to get it wet, put it on between socks before you pull on your waders. That's what I used to do until I forgot one day and just shoved them in the boots. since they survived getting wet I just kept putting them in the boots. In fact my wading boots have their own set sized appropriately.