WA Coast question

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
In the next few weeks a friend and I are planning a road trip along the Pacific Coast to the Ocean Shores area. Never been in that part of WA before. We are planning on trying to dig some razor clams which will also be a first for me. If anyone familiar with that area and or clamming down there and is willing to share some advice on lodging, restaurants or best areas to perhaps find a few clams and if possible fish for some surf perch either here or by PM it would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately time constraints and driving distance prevent any pre-trip scouting or poking around.

Divad

Whitefish
Bennetts Fish Shack for fish n chips.

Buddy & Howies Old Fashioned is a candy shop that’s a staple, homemade saltwater taffy etc.

My best perch fishing there has been Copalis and up. Haven’t done much on a fly tbh, mostly gear.

A nice walk is Damon Point.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
In the next few weeks a friend and I are planning a road trip along the Pacific Coast to the Ocean Shores area. Never been in that part of WA before. We are planning on trying to dig some razor clams which will also be a first for me. If anyone familiar with that area and or clamming down there and is willing to share some advice on lodging, restaurants or best areas to perhaps find a few clams and if possible fish for some surf perch either here or by PM it would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately time constraints and driving distance prevent any pre-trip scouting or poking around.
You might check out Snuggler's Cove (four small cabins) through Airbnb. They aren't fancy but they're right on the Harbor and a stepping off point for Damon's Point, with binoculars you can see the charter boats heading out, pretty sure I saw a few of the tuna boats this pas September. We had fish and chips from Bennett's; very tasty.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I suggest the 18" clam wraith for that time of year. Sometimes when they are shallow you can get away with a 14" sand stalker. Although my favorite is the 16" clam sniper for all around conditions all times of the year. It's truly an all beach shovel. Especially in the mid length handle in ash.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Guns seem to be better at not smashing them up than shovels, you can make them up pretty easy.

Bring waders.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Wow, you’ve shown me my own hypocrisy and now I’m having an existential crisis. Reality is melting around me…..

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Critical razor clam nomenclature: Clam gun is a traditional clam digging "shovel" characterized by a long curved blade that tapers from top to bottom. The best clam guns are made of stainless steel and can have either a short or medium length ash handle and are extremely hard to find. Last I heard a hardware store in Ocean Park, near Ilwaco was one of the few stores that carried them. A clamming "tube" is frequently wrongly referred to as a clam gun, instantly identifying the speaker as an uninformed novice. Or at least uninformed. And few can wield the traditional gun with the swiftness and effectiveness as Mrs. Salmo.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Critical razor clam nomenclature: Clam gun is a traditional clam digging "shovel" characterized by a long curved blade that tapers from top to bottom. The best clam guns are made of stainless steel and can have either a short or medium length ash handle and are extremely hard to find. Last I heard a hardware store in Ocean Park, near Ilwaco was one of the few stores that carried them. A clamming "tube" is frequently wrongly referred to as a clam gun, instantly identifying the speaker as an uninformed novice. Or at least uninformed. And few can wield the traditional gun with the swiftness and effectiveness as Mrs. Salmo.
Humbled further….i use a tube….Im a fricken tuber

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Clam tubes are the indicator of the beach. But to be candid, I have one of the finest, thin gauge stainless with an air release tube within. It's fun to use, but doesn't demonstrate near the skill and finesse of an expert gunner.

Reactions: JS

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Clam guns are certainly easier for a beginner IMO. Make sure to get to the beach of choice at least 1.5 hours before the low tide. Often times newbies will concentrate on the sand shrimp areas further up the beach. Generally speaking you want to spend your time bellow the shrimp beds. If you start digging up shrimp move closer to the water line.

If using a gun make sure to slightly angle your gun towards the water. Find the clam hole, position gun over hole and angle slightly towards the water as you push the gun down. This will result in less smashed clams (which are perfectly fine to eat but the sand will stick to them making them harder to clean).

Also remember (if using a gun) to lift with your legs and keep your back straight! Clam guns can ruin a back. Use short jerky pulls using your legs and keeping your back and arms straight. Trust me on this.

I wouldn’t try fly fishing for surf perch right now. With gear use a stout long rod that can handle 3 or more ounces of lead. Pyramid sinker in 3 oz is a good choice. Two 3 way swivels about 16-20 inches above the sinker and short leaders off of those to your bait or flies. Small 1.5-2 inch orange shrimpy flies work well instead of bait and you will not have to mess around with sand shrimp or clam necks.

Be careful on the beach when surf perch fishing. Always keep your eye on the water and don’t wade out too far. Some guys get crazy with it and it’s just not necessary. Good luck!

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Clam guns are certainly easier for a beginner IMO. Make sure to get to the beach of choice at least 1.5 hours before the low tide. Often times newbies will concentrate on the sand shrimp areas further up the beach. Generally speaking you want to spend your time bellow the shrimp beds. If you start digging up shrimp move closer to the water line.

If using a gun make sure to slightly angle your gun towards the water. Find the clam hole, position gun over hole and angle slightly towards the water as you push the gun down. This will result in less smashed clams (which are perfectly fine to eat but the sand will stick to them making them harder to clean).

Also remember (if using a gun) to lift with your legs and keep your back straight! Clam guns can ruin a back. Use short jerky pulls using your legs and keeping your back and arms straight. Trust me on this.

I wouldn’t try fly fishing for surf perch right now. With gear use a stout long rod that can handle 3 or more ounces of lead. Pyramid sinker in 3 oz is a good choice. Two 3 way swivels about 16-20 inches above the sinker and short leaders off of those to your bait or flies. Small 1.5-2 inch orange shrimpy flies work well instead of bait and you will not have to mess around with sand shrimp or clam necks.

Be careful on the beach when surf perch fishing. Always keep your eye on the water and don’t wade out too far. Some guys get crazy with it and it’s just not necessary. Good luck!
I just saw @Salmo_g comment about guns (tubes). I’m talking about tubes in my post above FYI 😁

• Haha
Reactions: JS

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Envious…..
Haven’t dug any razors since the 70’s.
We always dug near Iron Springs back then.
One of the activities along with surf perch I plan to rediscover when I retire and have more time.
SF

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wow, you’ve shown me my own hypocrisy and now I’m having an existential crisis. Reality is melting around me…..

Breathe deep. Just remember noble quarry like the razor clam deserve the best. I always go semi formal with a collar as well.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
TBH, I have mostly used a generic pointed shovel, but I went a few years ago with some people that had tubes and they smashed far fewer clams than I did. I wish I had more time to get better at it.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
TBH, I have mostly used a generic pointed shovel, but I went a few years ago with some people that had tubes and they smashed far fewer clams than I did. I wish I had more time to get better at it.

A skilled clam artists presents fifteen perfectly unmolested clams sand free beside a shovel at the end of a session. He then goes home to wash his gear, oil said shovel handle and blade. Once done he proceeds to clean the limit with fine scissors.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
A skilled clam artists presents fifteen perfectly unmolested clams sand free beside a shovel at the end of a session. He then goes home to wash his gear, oil said shovel handle and blade. Once done he proceeds to clean the limit with fine scissors.
I’ve bore witness to the skills of an experienced clam scissorer….it’s a true wonder!