WA Chinook on the fly 2023 Season

Hello,

I am a new resident to the new PNW (WA) from Ohio and I am looking to put some hours in the (potentially futile) pursuit to catch chinook on the fly. I live in a Tacoma suburb and was considering taking my PAC 1400 raft through some lower stretches of the Nisqually here soon (I am a DOD civilian). I know there are not a lot of people targeting chinook on the fly, but from my observation there appears to be a small group of individuals who fly fish for them and have success. If there are any people here who have experience/wisdom with chinook on the fly who would be interesting in fishing with me, I'd love to take you out on my raft and wet some lines.

I'm not solely focused on the Nisqually either, it just seems to be the closest river to me that gets strong pushes of chinook. I am definitely open to traveling a few hours for an opportunity to fish with someone for chinook. I'm also not opposed to hiring a guide and would consider throwing down 50/50 with someone. I fished with Jim Kerr back February and I know he is a good option for salmon. If anyone on this forum also would want to chime in on some pointers (swinging vs stripping, fly selection, from the bank vs in the boat) or any stories on catching WA Chinook on the fly, that would be greatly appreciated.

As for me, I am a 34 year old male who just moved out here with his girlfriend. I work in healthcare (mental health/clinical social work). I have around 8 years experience swinging flies for (GL) steelhead and have made the trek to the OP x4 times before I moved here. I think I'm a pretty easy guy to get along with and am looking forward to making some fly fishing connections out here.

Thanks in advance!

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Welcome and good luck in your endeavors.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Dude.... good luck. If you're bent on swinging them, best bet is near the salt on unpressured fish during the outgoing tide. In clearish (not too clear) water in the right cloud cover and over lots and lots of fish, it's a maybe. Could be a better bet off the beach than on the swing, but large chinook are relatively rare off the beach.

I also insist on swinging one up, and it's a lot of casting. Like a lot of casting. And sometimes a bull trout.

Being open to other salmon species would up your swinging odds.

Go get you some!!

Divad

Whitefish
Welcome to the PNW and the forum. The nisqually can be a little fickle to shuttle with the tank bridge entrance now blocked all the way up to reservation road.

The goal is to play close to the hatchery. Pull out for base access is just below the public access, that is still there. Now to enter you must go through post to get to the tank bridge, making that launch a waste of time. The powerhouse entry is your best bet now, just takes longer to get to the good water.

Common courtesy to wave at any upriver traffic on the Nisqually with knuckles facing them, folding your index, ring and pinky towards your palm.