vices?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Had to look up definitions of two words. Not sure if it was worth the effort, or not... LOL
That reminds me...I must instruct my ghillie to acquire some Grade AAA hummingbird skins for my favored size 24 Adams hackle. He's a lazy shiftless bastard but, nonetheless, a family retainer for decades.

Last edited:

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We get to see a ton of vises here in the shop, I would say in terms of overall customer satisfaction and the feedback we have gotten in the last several years two vises really stand out. Renzetti Traveler C2203-R and the Stonfo Transformer. Both are phenomenal options and we sell a lot of both vises! I (josh) tie mostly on a Renzetti or Regal and Pete the other owner of Spawn ties on a Stonfo!

mickey rat

Vermin
I use a Renzetti Traveler too, but swapped out the jaws to the midge size as I tie a lot of 22 size crap for my son in CO. I can still tie everything else I need with the same jaws.

onefish

Steelhead

I love everything about this vise except the base. I removed the base plate, filled it with #7 lead shot and reattached the base plate. I now love everything about my stonfo! I tie everything rotary style.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Not the cheapest, but a great option for someone looking for a more robust base. I've had one for three or four years I'd guess and its the best base I've ever had

I absolutely love mine & it's a helluva lot cheaper than it's copycat, the "new" Abel.

Takeum

Smolt
Currently working with a Renzetti Traveler and a Nor-Vise. The Renzetti is a bit lightweight for my tastes, and whereas a big fan of the Nor-Vise when I was tying salmon and steelhead flies, even with the midge jaws in seems overkill for 12's and smaller.
What's your current fave?
Heck,,,I’ll buy your norvise if you decide to sell it, I make crappie jigs and need it to do multiple jigs daily

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I first bought a Price Vice at Kaufmann’s in the 80s (left). Then (theoretically) upgraded to a Renzetti Presentation 4000, mid 90s. As you see, it has the screw vs lever, which I’m fine with. I do love the Renzetti, but for aesthetics the Price is at least it’s equal. I set the Price up here, but use it only as a traveler. In truth I’m not a prodigious tyer, so both are under used. I have big big plans though (again). I also have a C clamp for the Renzetti.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 16

Bob N

Steelhead
What you have with the Price vise is a base clamp that can hold on 1/8 thick material or the ubiquitous forest service table that is 6 inches thick.