vices?

kmudgn

Steelhead
For my first hundred years I tied with a Thompson A, the next 100 with an HMH standard, and now with a Renzetti Presentation. I too found the Traveller "too light". Having a full rotary vise was something I did not know I needed until I got one.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
For my first hundred years I tied with a Thompson A, the next 100 with an HMH standard, and now with a Renzetti Presentation. I too found the Traveller "too light". Having a full rotary vise was something I did not know I needed until I got one.
Then for the third 100 years you'd really enjoy a true rotary NorVise! 😄

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
I prefer having a base rather than a C-clamp. Also an extended height rod. With my big mitts for hands I find it easier due to more room. I like the stability of a C-clamp but room is more important to me. Also several of spots I frequent, e.g. RC in MT, C-clamps do not fit and the base allows it to sit on top of the table or bench.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Interesting to see the variety of preferences here.

I used to use a regal and loved it but decided to go a different route. I have a renzetti traveller and I like it well enough for traveling but at home I prefer a clamp vs pedestal base.

Currently using dyna king trekker. Surprised at how much I really like that over previous vises. The jaws are stsrting to get messed up but just ordered a new set and was told the newer metals are much stronger so this won’t be an issue. Regardless for the use it doesn’t bother me buying a new set of jaws.

I rarely use the rotary feature as its intended but really like it just to reposition the fly at times to see what I’m doing.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@RCF,

If I understand you correctly, you are saying you like the stability of the C Clamp but It doesn't fit ( open wide enough to grab onto) some Campground Tables..is that right? I ran into that a few times, especially on the older picnic tables, at USFS camps. I just take a small, thin piece of wood or plastic, think a cheese cutting board and C Clamp onto that. I then put some weight onto the back of the board, "affixing" it the table top, via gravity. A chunk of firewood or a sweet rock does the trick. Just an idea. I too find the C Clamp models more stable when tying. Saves me money on buying a travel vice.

Bob

Reactions: RCF

krusty

Forum Supporter
One thing about NorVises, they do not function well as travel vises. The thread post is an integral component of the NorVise system, and it works best if it's attached to the same base as the vise itself. While NorVise markets a set of C-clamps that fit onto both the thread post and vise, they don't work all that well (IMO). So most keep those two components permanently attached (thru-bolted) to some sort of big base (NorVise sells bamboo and stone bases for that purpose). Very sturdy, but ungainly for travel, although it makes the system usable on any flat surface in a home.

For years I carried a small flytying setup when camping....but really found that the emphasis on trying to mimic some observed hatch was vastly over-rated, especially if you have a good selection of flies on hand. I found that I'd much rather be fishing than sitting at some campground picnic table or in the camper. If they're not hitting at all it's unlikely you're going to 'cook-up' some mimicking killer hatch pattern 'on the fly'.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
When my 45+ year old Thomson B finally wouldn't hold a hook a few years ago I tried a few vises (Renzetti and Mongoose), but bought the Regal Revolution C clamp untried. It's a great vise, probably never need another. My other vice, well, not today.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
@RCF,

If I understand you correctly, you are saying you like the stability of the C Clamp but It doesn't fit ( open wide enough to grab onto) some Campground Tables..is that right? I ran into that a few times, especially on the older picnic tables, at USFS camps. I just take a small, thin piece of wood or plastic, think a cheese cutting board and C Clamp onto that. I then put some weight onto the back of the board, "affixing" it the table top, via gravity. A chunk of firewood or a sweet rock does the trick. Just an idea. I too find the C Clamp models more stable when tying. Saves me money on buying a travel vice.

Bob

You understood correctly. I also find having a base model provides greater height than a C-clamp. I actually do not mind having a couple of vices. When the kids come home and want to tie with me the second vice comes in very handy.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Huge fan of Nor-Vise for tying larger flies, spins thread onto a hook in a flash, gets the bobbin out of the way onto the side post when spinning dubbing, tied hundreds of saltwater flies with one. Just need the space for the 14" vice/post separation. Nothing spins easier with a flick of two fingers. When my son shows up for the summer, he's grabbing mine to get some tying time in.
I looked at Peaks, nice vise, and a handle can be added to the 'spin' shaft for easier spinning, would think they would include it.
The machining on those Renzetti Masters...like how Smith used to make their revolvers.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Huge fan of Nor-Vise for tying larger flies, spins thread onto a hook in a flash, gets the bobbin out of the way onto the side post when spinning dubbing, tied hundreds of saltwater flies with one. Just need the space for the 14" vice/post separation. Nothing spins easier with a flick of two fingers. When my son shows up for the summer, he's grabbing mine to get some tying time in.
I looked at Peaks, nice vise, and a handle can be added to the 'spin' shaft for easier spinning, would think they would include it.
The machining on those Renzetti Masters...like how Smith used to make their revolvers.
I think NorVise 'pointy' shank jaws work much better than their little 'articulated' jaws. Manages to hold a wide variety of hook sizes and provides good hook access.

The biggest challenge for new tyers (especially those having used conventional vises) is getting used to a retracting bobbin and the thread post.

Watching one of Norm's demonstration videos (may the gracious gentleman rest in peace) really shows how well his NorVise system works!

Last edited:

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
Vices?
Yes, :unsure: I have a few, but that's a subject for another thread.

For fly tying I'm still using my 1990 Dyna King Professional C-clamp with standard and midge jaws. Broke the original standard jaws around '96 and haven't had any other "operator error" mishaps since. Solid unit.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
I have the shitty Orvis intro-to-fly-tying kit vise circa 2004. I see more recent kits have upgraded to a fancier model. The model I have grasps the hook just fine and I can make stuff that catches fish on it no problem. It's got all the bells and whistles you would expect- ie none- and if this vise was a vehicle, it would be a still working Monkey Shit Brown Chrysler K Car like one depicted below. They would describe it on Antiques Roadshow, the Vise that is, as near worthless junk, worth more for the pig iron than any other reason.
1711666391347.png

KFCDAVE

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I got a Peak probably around 7 or 8 years ago and it still functions like new. I typically don’t tie any small flies but when I do it does its job!

Reactions: Zak

krusty

Forum Supporter
I have the shitty Orvis intro-to-fly-tying kit vise circa 2004. I see more recent kits have upgraded to a fancier model. The model I have grasps the hook just fine and I can make stuff that catches fish on it no problem. It's got all the bells and whistles you would expect- ie none- and if this vise was a vehicle, it would be a still working Monkey Shit Brown Chrysler K Car like one depicted below. They would describe it on Antiques Roadshow, the Vise that is, as near worthless junk, worth more for the pig iron than any other reason.
View attachment 108596
I always enjoy a good post that demonstrates what a truly profligate first world wastrel I truly am! 😁