vices?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Currently working with a Renzetti Traveler and a Nor-Vise. The Renzetti is a bit lightweight for my tastes, and whereas a big fan of the Nor-Vise when I was tying salmon and steelhead flies, even with the midge jaws in seems overkill for 12's and smaller.
What's your current fave?

RCF

Life of the Party
I mainly tie trout flies. Regal Medallion (30+ years) when at home. Dyna-King Squire when traveling. The Squire is a bit light, even with the base, but still meets my needs when out in the woods.

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've been tying on my Peak Rotary vise for maybe ten years now. I'm happy with it.

Divad

Whitefish
I too have the Peak with standard jaw, it’s a little blunt for smaller flys but will work. Whereas the Regal tapers to a finer point/lower profile and accommodates a wider range of hooks. The one handed clamp is also pretty dang nice.

I’d go Regal.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Currently working with a Renzetti Traveler and a Nor-Vise. The Renzetti is a bit lightweight for my tastes, and whereas a big fan of the Nor-Vise when I was tying salmon and steelhead flies, even with the midge jaws in seems overkill for 12's and smaller.
What's your current fave?
Funny you should ask…IMG_3842.jpegI’ve been tying on a R Traveler the last couple years…so I’m bringing it up to Wa this year since I received this as a birthday present…

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I absolutely love my HMH Standard, but I need to get a couple of parts to fix it. In the interim, I'm using a Regal, which I am really growing to love. Just outstanding.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Oh, my vices are far worse than coffee and fly tying...I am a bit more successful keeping them in check these days. Usually.

But as far as vises are concerned, my Dan-Vise gets about 80% of my business, my Nor-Vise the remainder. The offset jaw removes any other inherent disadvantages.

Dragon Mo

Keep Calm - Drink More Whisky
Forum Supporter
Currently I'm using a Mongoose. Prior to that I had a Dyna King Barracuda which I came to hate and despise. Before that an original Regal which I liked but no rotary function. The Mongoose just plain works, especially after lubing it with some silicone grease. I do lust after the Renzetti Master vice but have so far fought off the urge. Oh, and then there's the Laphroaig Cask Strength...

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Regal Medallion C Clamp, for the last 38 years. Ties everything I've ever needed from #26 Dries to Bass Flies. Caveat...I dont fish Saltwater. I dont tie Tube Flies. I dont tie Musky Flies.

The C Clamp model allows a person to raise and lower the height of the Jaws. This becomes more important the older you get due to loss of eyesight. ;).

The Pedestal models can not be adjusted for height. The C Clamp Model fits BLM, NPS and USFS Picnic tables.

Originally its was considered expensive.........today, I think it is very, very reasonable for what you get. Plus American made.

Have fun in the search.

chief

Carper
Forum Supporter
The Regal Medallion with two sets of jaws, regular and big game, covers all of my needs.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I enjoy my Stonfo Transformer. I also have a Renzetti Traveler.

The Stonfo has easily interchangeable jaws (standard, streamer and tube fly) via a coupling and that functionality works well and is usefull. Quality and functionality of the vise itself is great. The one downside is the base. It’s plastic garbage that’s too light. The vise itself also uses different thread size than most vices so aftermarket bases are usually not compatible. I got around it by buying a marble tile from a flooring store, adding some foam to the bottom and mounting the vise on it.

IMG_4586.jpeg

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I've been using a NorVise for about the past 12 years, and added the new shank jaws a few years ago. Before that I tied on the same Thompson Model A vise I used for about 50 years (one of the original Thompsons). Don't see me using anything but a NorVise (though I much prefer the far more convenient Ekich bobbins over those from NorVise....you just pop in the spool the thread comes on).

Last edited: