Vermont Info

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Thursday morning I fly out to the Land of Zak to help out with an aging parent. I'll be out there for nearly a month in order to give my sister a break.

I'm telling myself I'll have at least one free day per week and/or a couple hours per day here and there. I will be in the area of Stowe and Montpelier.

I head home April 16th so I will miss trout season....which is a bummer....but I saw carp and crappie are open year round. Anybody know whether or not it would be worth shipping some gear out? If beneficial, I figured I could mail out an old set of waders, boots, and my Wilderness Lite float tube.

Weatherwise, Punxsutawney Phil seems to have taken a big dump out there cuz I think there's still snow on the ground and there's snow forecast at the end of next week.

All that said, anyone in the know have an opinion and/or maybe a pointer or two? Would it be worth it? Or should I just be happy with some hiking, sight seeing, and mailing out some fly tying supplies?

Thanks in advance,

Mike d

• Love
Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I miss Vermont trout fishing!

Most Vermont rivers and streams are open year round for C&R trout fishing with flies:

https://www.eregulations.com/vermont/fishing/index-of-rivers-streams

Weather conditions and ice may impact fishing opportunities, though!

I suggest calling (and/or stopping in at) the Stowe Fly Rod Shop (https://www.flyrodshop.com/) for up to date advice and fishing reports.

Last edited:

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Great minds think a like! I was just checking out their website and saw as of Feb 28 people were fishing the rivers and having fun.

Guess I’ll be giving the shop a call to get current info…yay👍

Reactions: Zak

kmudgn

Steelhead
Check out Green Mountain Adventures in Middlebury, or The Fly Rod Shop in Stowe. The Stowe shop is more focused on fishing as the GMA shop is more of an "all around" sport store, but they do have a fair amount of gear and are about 2 blocks from Otter Creek. They also cater to the "Hackey sack" crowd, but its Vermont so you can't complain.
VT Fish and Wildlife HQ is in Waterbury and they have good info on fishing spots too.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
My knowledge is all 40 years old and my favorite shops are long gone, but my memory is that any where you can access moving water there's fish to catch. Maybe some of the best blue-lining anywhere, but then I had some time and inclination then.