UV fluorescent materials

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
At the NWExpo, I sat with a gentleman tying truly wonderful flies out of common, but not necessarily common materials. Fascinating. One of the things he showed me was a very fine white fiber that fluoresced brightly when using his uv light. He had an interesting way of acquiring that fiber which he showed me as well. And he opined that some thread like this might enhance flies in stillwater.

First, I'm stunned at the generosity of this gentleman, and frankly everyone at the show in freely sharing techniques and materials in tying. Sorta makes you think we might have some redeeming value as a species.

But, on the way home I thought about UV fluorescent materials in nature and by now I've google searched for uv fluorescence in existing tying thread and materials.

Not to ask for a revealing revelation, but do any of you incorporate UV fluorescent materials in tying specifically for that property? Should a guy, any guy, say, think that might improve one's catch rate? Or are most of the materials that fluoresce that you use simply coincidental to that material, i.e. some silk threads. Or have you noticed at all?

I'm gonna get out my UV light and scan my tying stash.....just to see

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
At the NWExpo, I sat with a gentleman tying truly wonderful flies out of common, but not necessarily common materials. Fascinating. One of the things he showed me was a very fine white fiber that fluoresced brightly when using his uv light. He had an interesting way of acquiring that fiber which he showed me as well. And he opined that some thread like this might enhance flies in stillwater.

First, I'm stunned at the generosity of this gentleman, and frankly everyone at the show in freely sharing techniques and materials in tying. Sorta makes you think we might have some redeeming value as a species.

But, on the way home I thought about UV fluorescent materials in nature and by now I've google searched for uv fluorescence in existing tying thread and materials.

Not to ask for a revealing revelation, but do any of you incorporate UV fluorescent materials in tying specifically for that property? Should a guy, any guy, say, think that might improve one's catch rate? Or are most of the materials that fluoresce that you use simply coincidental to that material, i.e. some silk threads. Or have you noticed at all?

I'm gonna get out my UV light and scan my tying stash.....just to see
The FNF (and some Hareline) Jelly materials used to tie blobs fluoresce quite brightly, which may account for their effectiveness. Water scatters but doesn't absorb UV (though suspended particles will diminish UV penetration depth due to shadow effect).

Last edited:

Buggerbob

Just Hatched
I don't specifically tie with fluorescent materials, its more coincidental. Because of that, I can't say if that property enhances my catch rate on a specific pattern. Good question though.

BB :unsure:

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I tie because the fluorescent stuff just speaks to me on occasion.
There is a book (might have been one of those “what fish see” books) that had color plates with various regular colors, what the fluorescent colors look like, and at various water depths.
Dry but interesting read and observations… 😉

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For most of my steelhead flies, I try to use a UV material or two. Does it help? I don't consider myself a skilled enough steelheader to really know. But there are some out there who think color is VERY important for steelhead flies (there are also guides who think it doesn't matter too much other than being visible, so go figure). Some steelheaders also are big believers in hot spots or color contrasts to get a fishes attention and make them decide to grab the fly.

It doesn't cost too much extra, so I figure it can't hurt, and it might help a steelhead notice my fly.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
I ran a uv light on some of the flies I’ve tied recently and found more uv materials than I expected. Beads, thread, and as you mentioned, the fnf. Don’t know if it makes any difference or not, but this pink thread lights up underneath the squirmy worm body. IMG_5805.jpeg

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
FWIW - Jerry Buren (passionate chironomider & author) from Marysville, re-tied most all of his vast chironomid arsenal using fluorescent orange beads a couple of years ago after being given a fluoro-beaded chirony (& the reason for using it) by a seasoned & sage fisher while he (Jerry) was on his regular May trip up to BC's Dragon Lake. And, that's alot of flies😉😉.......

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I dunno. I don’t get hung up on it though I do regularly use certain things like Uni fl. Hot orange thread heads. But a lot of fish were caught before artificial UV anything. Now certain natural materials fluoresce as well, but do fish food sources? And in what ways, what patterns?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
This video was posted on the old forum when materials were discussed.
SF

kmudgn

Steelhead
UV materials were all the "rage" maybe 10 years ago, or so. Allegedly, they are attractive to fish who supposedly see more in the UV range. I never really saw any data that convinced me that UV ties were "better". All is anecdotal and I suspect mostly generated by the marketing departments of the material houses. My anecdotal response is "meh".

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
This video was posted on the old forum when materials were discussed.
SF

Thanks, Brian! The host of the video certainly has a few "small" flies.

I'm unsure of the science of UV in regards to trout (salmon, steelhead) being able to discern UV color (visible wavelength fish can see but we as humans can't?). I do think that material suppliers are adding UV to help sell more materials (yeah, I've bought some of it). One thing I do LOVE about UV are the resins we cure with our lights; not because of their UV light qualities; I like how durable some flies can be made, how they shine, how we can build up heads, bodies, incorporate mylars and fairly quickly make durable encapsulated fly bodies.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Tying with UV material is more for our sense of entertainment than anything, and to get us to buy stuff-worked on me! :)
I've heard somewhere adult trout and salmon don't really see UV as they did when they were fry. I do like bright fluorescent/GITD stuff before first light though, it does get their attention way better than drab natural colored flies.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I think one thing about UV fluorescence is being missed; the light you (and presumably the fish) see when a material is 'fluoresced' by exposure to UV is not UV, but rather light in the visible spectrum.

UV light from the sun penetrates fairly well in water, and the light emitted by some 'fluorescing' pattern components would be in the visible spectrum, not UV.

Perhaps some of those flies may function in a manner similar to many attractor flies.

We have no idea what food a fly represents to fish for many successful patterns...and sucess is overwhelmingly measured in anecdotal terms in this arcane sport anyway.

We're talking about critters that occasionally eat sticks, tippet rings/swivels, matches, and cigarette butts. And what natural fish prey has a propeller like a Pistol Pete fly?

Last edited:

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Tying with UV material is more for our sense of entertainment than anything, and to get us to buy stuff-worked on me! :)
I've heard somewhere adult trout and salmon don't really see UV as they did when they were fry. I do like bright fluorescent/GITD stuff before first light though, it does get their attention way better than drab natural colored flies.
Black (flies) has worked for many years in low light…even before fluorescent materials/colors. 😉

krusty

Forum Supporter
A pic, taken under UV light, of a couple of flyboxes I'm populating that will fit inside the small Hobie bin under the cockpit hatch. Expected the UV blobs to fluoresce brightly
but surprised that the orange tungsten beads did so as well. 20240312_113417.jpg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Black (flies) has worked for many years in low light…even before fluorescent materials/colors. 😉
Agree too :) I often use black flies in lakes before first light and it works well, but I like bright flies in the salt, not sure how that came to be :) maybe water clarity can be an issue …
Just goes to show fish can see so damn well!

krusty

Forum Supporter
ProTip.....

NEVER expose hotel/motel room surfaces (even at a high-end suite at a luxury resort) to UV light in the presence of your spouse...who will probably not wish to spend the evening in what appears to be a gruesome CSI crime scene or a bedroom at the Hefner Mansion.

And you'd best handle the TV remote with surgical gloves.

In fact...don't even think about doing this at home...lest you be forced to engage in an extended fit of fanatical (but largely fruitless) cleaning.

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
An early researcher on this subject, Reed Curry passed away about two weeks ago.
His book , The New Scientific Angling - Trout and Ultraviolet Vision Published in 2009 was a ground breaker. This idea spawned research into ultraviolet camouflage, in which he secured a patent, and advanced an interest in ultraviolet photography, a field to which he contributed meaningfully by developing and creating ultraviolet filters