Useless ruler on new Fishcat 4 DLX stripping apron

LostCreeker

Just Hatched
I just got a new Fishcat 4 DLX float tube which is a definite upgrade from my 10 year old faded blue Fishcat 4, however, the ruler numbers on the stripping apron are black on black and useless. I'm planning to attach a legible ruler to the stripping apron bar and wondering if anyone has tips on how best to do that.

RCF

Life of the Party
Can you just get a waterproof permanent marker and use existing ruler by marking it up?

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Other thing you could do is tie orange thread or yarn at one inch marks in the mesh.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Are you SURE it isn't a manufacturing error? All the photos of the Fishcat aprons show white lettering.

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 2.47.06 PM.png

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
My apron is like that, with black indicator marks, but I turned it over and relaced the adjustable strap so the adjuster is on the bottom and does not grab the line when I cast. I can't remember the last time I measured a fish, they are all wonderful.

Islander

Life of the Party
My stripping apron is the same. Kind of looks like the numbers and lines are just pressed into the plastic. Measure net it the way to go.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
you could just get a bump board if you want the most accurate measurements....

You could also hold it up to your rod to give a good idea. On my musky net, I have marks at 36", 40" & 48" that works very very well.

FlyRod

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Measure net. Keep 'em wet.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I use the Shaka method…my Shaka is exactly 8” long…I get excited when I get three shaka’s on a trout…

onefish

Steelhead
There are 4 grades of trout that can be determined by eyeballing them and keeping them wet, tiddlers ( under 14 inches), decent(14-17inches), nice( 18-22 inches), really nice 23+. Your take on the parameters of the 4 grades is likely different than mine but does it matter if a released fish is size X?

wetline dave

Steelhead
Take the time to train yourself to measure by sight. totally accurate no but you can get darned close. Get your handy dandy tape measure and look at things and "quess" how long it is and then measure. It won't take long to determine fairly accurately how long something is.

Practice makes perfect.

Does it really matter how long is a fish really.

Dave