Used reels from Japan?

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I've been trolling the internet in search of an 8/9 weight reel, and as part of it, I also looked at the auction site. I was shocked to see how many reels I could buy, "used", from Japan. You could almost plug any reel into the search bar, and sure enough, there'll be scads of them available from Japan.

Rhetorical question: How did Japan get all the great reels?

Serious question, how does one avoid buying one of those reels that's being resold in the States?

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Seems they do it with a lot of stuff that commands a healthy price in the US. Vintage bicycle parts (Shimano, Campy, etc.) are common, also vintage motocross gear, old Bell Moto III helmets, etc. They certainly don't give any of it away.

flybill

Life of the Party
I've been trolling the internet in search of an 8/9 weight reel, and as part of it, I also looked at the auction site. I was shocked to see how many reels I could buy, "used", from Japan. You could almost plug any reel into the search bar, and sure enough, there'll be scads of them available from Japan.

Serious question, how does one avoid buying one of those reels that's being resold in the States?
Why do you want to "avoid" buying a resold reel? I've had a lot of Japanese clients and customers that have amazing gear, well above my means at the moment.

I would love an old school reel for my CND Solstice 14' 3" spey.. I haven't looked recently, but wouldn't hesiste on a "reel" that's resold.

Just my opinion! Good luck!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
They place a high value on quality. They purchase and collect top quality foreign products; musical instruments, fishing gear, cycling, photography, clothing (jeans)... And when the quality of the foreign products falls off they produce better products domestically.

And there is a cost for quality in the design, materials, and craftsmanship of products. It becomes a value proposition. And when it comes to resale, well...
They certainly don't give any of it away.
^^^^

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
There's a ton of nice flyfishing gear, much of it vintage, for sale in Japan via ebay. I have bought a few items, like some older Sage rods and Hardy reels. I was amazed at how fast the items arrived even coming from overseas. Just as quick as a domestic purchase. Though the shipping is typically a bit more $.

One interesting thing I do notice is that the same exact item will be listed in separate auctions by different sellers with slightly different strategies (some might have a Buy It Now or make offer option, etc...) I guess the sellers / pawnshops over there collaborate on their inventory and whoever can sell the item first gets the dough.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy again from a seller in Japan.

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
There's a ton of nice flyfishing gear, much of it vintage, for sale in Japan via ebay. I have bought a few items, like some older Sage rods and Hardy reels. I was amazed at how fast the items arrived even coming from overseas. Just as quick as a domestic purchase. Though the shipping is typically a bit more $.

One interesting thing I do notice is that the same exact item will be listed in separate auctions by different sellers with slightly different strategies (some might have a Buy It Now or make offer option, etc...) I guess the sellers / pawnshops over there collaborate on their inventory and whoever can sell the item first gets the dough.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy again from a seller in Japan.
Thank you for that. It's what I ran into, also - same pictures, different sellers, different prices, different strategies. It's what caused me concern. I can see how your supposition could be what's going on, and I should have thought about that first and the possibility of counterfeit items second.

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Why do you want to "avoid" buying a resold reel? I've had a lot of Japanese clients and customers that have amazing gear, well above my means at the moment.

I would love an old school reel for my CND Solstice 14' 3" spey.. I haven't looked recently, but wouldn't hesiste on a "reel" that's resold.

Just my opinion! Good luck!
See the above. I thought the items could be counterfeit because the same item was being offered by lots of sellers. I should have considered Merle's assumption before wondering if there was something nefarious going on.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Thank you for that. It's what I ran into, also - same pictures, different sellers, different prices, different strategies. It's what caused me concern. I can see how your supposition could be what's going on, and I should have thought about that first and the possibility of counterfeit items second.
I sure hope that is what is going on and that it's not scammers. It's just a theory I came up with to explain why I was seeing the multiple listings, all from the same geographic area. I can't recall if any of the items I've bought were ones that actually had multiple listings or not.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They (Japan eBay items) have been around for some time now and I’m sure if there were scams involved there would be very little fly gear being offered from Japan today. Lots of gear and lots of dollars for that gear.

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I sure hope that is what is going on and that it's not scammers. It's just a theory I came up with to explain why I was seeing the multiple listings, all from the same geographic area. I can't recall if any of the items I've bought were ones that actually had multiple listings or not.
I like your assumption. It beat my suspicious nature by lightyears.

Just dropping in to say that I purchased a SA System II (older English-made model) recently from a seller in Japan on Ebay. The quality was exactly as imaged/described and was at my mailbox in one week - would not hesitate to do so again.