Upcoming Carp Clave...Boardman, Oregon

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A lot of drama with this fishery, and it hasn't even blown up yet. I do wonder what things will be like when more guides decide to do this, and other people with boats, seems like it could get crowded fast. Guess it at least ups my odds for chasing the three summer steelhead that return to Portland July-August.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I went through my bookshelf last week and came upon a book I had never read and being curious read to forward and decided I had come across a very interesting read. "The coming of the pond fishes" was written by a Ben Hur Lampman in 1946. A Captain John Harlow had sailed a ship from Maine to Porlland in 1851 and eventually settle in Troutdale and operated a ferry across the Sandy River. The only fish he and other settlers of the time had was salmon trout and sturgeon. They longed for some of the fishes from back east and the old country and for Harlow the fish he was most interested in bringing here was the "wonderful carp" He had a shipment of "German Carp" he called Wonder fish to rival the native trout and salmon. The first shipment was put on display at the Failing fish market and "enthusiastically viewed by many of the local citizenry. this was in May of 1880. Captain Harlow put 35 carp in his pond in Troutdaly to multiply which must have worked very well since the following spring a flood allowd about 3000 of them to escape. After some years the excitement wore off and a fish that considered a very fine table fare eventually became for sale for $5 a ton to be used as fertilizer. The second chapter dealt with shad. I haven't finished the book but chapter headings tell me I'll be reading about bass, crappies, catfish and other sunfish. I'll try to get this done and bring it to the PNW booth for display. It's an autographed copy and I'm not sure how I obtained it but I suspect it was from an old friend, now passed, that was an antique dealer. I'd like to know if anyone else on this forum has read this book or even heard of it.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah I'm in Clarkston. All our boat ramps in town, every bay and backeddy on the snake river. Every spot the current slows down and Temps get a little warmer. Or would you prefer gps locations
If I was closer I would concentrate on the Pikeminnow and related bounty.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I went through my bookshelf last week and came upon a book I had never read and being curious read to forward and decided I had come across a very interesting read. "The coming of the pond fishes" was written by a Ben Hur Lampman in 1946. A Captain John Harlow had sailed a ship from Maine to Porlland in 1851 and eventually settle in Troutdale and operated a ferry across the Sandy River. The only fish he and other settlers of the time had was salmon trout and sturgeon. They longed for some of the fishes from back east and the old country and for Harlow the fish he was most interested in bringing here was the "wonderful carp" He had a shipment of "German Carp" he called Wonder fish to rival the native trout and salmon. The first shipment was put on display at the Failing fish market and "enthusiastically viewed by many of the local citizenry. this was in May of 1880. Captain Harlow put 35 carp in his pond in Troutdaly to multiply which must have worked very well since the following spring a flood allowd about 3000 of them to escape. After some years the excitement wore off and a fish that considered a very fine table fare eventually became for sale for $5 a ton to be used as fertilizer. The second chapter dealt with shad. I haven't finished the book but chapter headings tell me I'll be reading about bass, crappies, catfish and other sunfish. I'll try to get this done and bring it to the PNW booth for display. It's an autographed copy and I'm not sure how I obtained it but I suspect it was from an old friend, now passed, that was an antique dealer. I'd like to know if anyone else on this forum has read this book or even heard of it.
So, it turns out that "californication" (making Oregon look like where you came from) has been around since the beginning!

I'm sure if prepared properly, carp could actually taste pretty good, but I still can't imagine it tasting as good as a spring chinook or sockeye. Maybe the abundance made them think it was worthless.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So, it turns out that "californication" (making Oregon look like where you came from) has been around since the beginning!

I'm sure if prepared properly, carp could actually taste pretty good, but I still can't imagine it tasting as good as a spring chinook or sockeye. Maybe the abundance made them think it was worthless.
From what I've read I think you're right. There was abundance in those days that no longer exist.