Upcoming Carp Clave...Boardman, Oregon

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
If John Montana ain't there, is it really a Big C carp clave?

Speaking of which, anyone heard from him? Seems like he's been off social media for a bit.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well... I guess I'm sorry for bringing it to attention.
Mods, please feel free to delete it if you would like.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I cleaned the posts up including my own posts. Let's share the event and people can make their own judgements about it. Not a path I/we usually take with these matters, but let's just try to keep the drama at bay if we can.

Not everyone has great feelings about this event for a number of reasons, but I don't think this is the place to air dirty laundry.

chief

Carper
Forum Supporter
Things must have gotten out of hand after I went to bed last night. I didn't think my post was that out of line. Just expressing irritation for hotspotting. First time I've ever been censored on a forum. I will leave it at I don't have great feelings about this event.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Things must have gotten out of hand after I went to bed last night. I didn't think my post was that out of line. Just expressing irritation for hotspotting. First time I've ever been censored on a forum. I will leave it at I don't have great feelings about this event.
yeah, wasn't meaning to censor but it is coming off that way. Despite agreeing myself, it was going in to a bad place fast so wanted to right the ship. Sorry for doing that, it's not how we usually operate.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Haven't seen many "I went to my favorite carp spot today and it was taken" posts.

Have seen a "we are using your money to pimp your posts at a industry show" recently.
Is this a dig at Evan planning to promote the site at the Albany NW Fly Fishing Expo?
I have zero issues with that. This site isn't getting a ton of new members from what I can tell, but none of us are going to get any younger or hipper, nor live forever. I love all y'all but we could use some new blood to keep things fresh.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
There's carp in a ditch 3 min from my house in a farmers field. What's so special about boardman? They gotta meet somewhere.

Reactions: WT!

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Is this a dig at Evan planning to promote the site at the Albany NW Fly Fishing Expo?
I have zero issues with that. This site isn't getting a ton of new members from what I can tell, but none of us are going to get any younger or hipper, nor live forever. I love all y'all but we could use some new blood to keep things fresh.
If you build it they will come... sorry that was last century. Here's the deal! You have to actively promote and recruit. Go where the people are till you build a self sustaining momentum. This is the smartest use of "donations" if you want the site to pay for itself. We make most of our money going to shows and events, where the people are.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
If you build it they will come... sorry that was last century. Here's the deal! You have to actively promote and recruit. Go where the people are till you build a self sustaining momentum. This is the smartest use of "donations" if you want the site to pay for itself. We make most of our money going to shows and events, where the people are.
Just being an online forum pretty much makes us dinosaurs of the last century. There's a small percentage of fly fishers who are goofy enough to come here on the reg. It makes sense to cast a wide net when only a few of the people you promote to are actually going to show up here even once.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
There's very, very little money involved in the show attendance. Less than we pay per month on the server.

chief

Carper
Forum Supporter
yeah, wasn't meaning to censor but it is coming off that way. Despite agreeing myself, it was going in to a bad place fast so wanted to right the ship. Sorry for doing that, it's not how we usually operate.
No worries, I understand you have a challenging position moderating the discussions on the forum.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
This site isn't getting a ton of new members from what I can tell, but none of us are going to get any younger or hipper, nor live forever. I love all y'all but we could use some new blood to keep things fresh.
We get new members. It's a slow, but steady, trickle. But as you note, a community like ours needs to make sure that we don't stagnate as people leave the hobby, move on to other sites, etc.

So we have to keep an eye out for budget ways to promote ourselves to folks who might want to come hang out and add new perspectives/stories/knowledge to the site.

And more than that, how can we pass on all the awesome existing knowledge of all the current members without having someone new to pass it on to?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
There's very, very little money involved in the show attendance. Less than we pay per month on the server.
What I'm trying to say not very clearly is having a booth at a fly fishing show is a very good and effective use of donation money compared to other things.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
What I'm trying to say not very clearly is having a booth at a fly fishing show is a very good and effective use of donation money compared to other things.
Well that blows to hell Josh's and Evan's plans for hookers and blow!
I just figure Billy has that covered regardless.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Dean -
Thanks for sharing, no need to apologize or have the mods delete this thread.

I have similar feelings as Chief about "hotspotting" this fishery. He and his buddies have figured out something and they don't need or want to share it with the world wide internet. Chief is right that these fisheries (I'm trying to remember how you spelled it out, Ross, but the post was deleted) won't do well with mass angling pressure. Ask me how I know*.

The half dozen times I've been in the Boardman area (just driving by, not scouting carp water but looking at it.....) it has been so windy it was hard to keep the SUV in a straight line. Maybe they'll get blown out on their hotspot day?

* There's a super nice island and at really high water, a shoal, on the PRD pool. It became too popular for me and has been guided for carp. It's public water. The bigger issue than fishermen is development along this stretch of the river and the use of kayaks, SUP's and the dreaded and damnable PWC's zipping around the holding water. The last few times I've boated to this structure, I couldn't find any carp. An anomoly? Maybe.

Last edited: