SFR Unloading boat dilemma?

Sorta fishing-related

Flymph

Steelhead
Not getting any younger and and unloading 12ft Smoker is not getting easier. I have a Yakima boat rack on top of a canopy mounted on pickup. All boat launches have a a downward slope of varying degree. I park perpendicular to the slope as backing up to the water presents problems of boat sliding off too quickly. The issue now is the tilt of the truck/canopy/rack as the boat is carefully guided off and down. This can get tricky at times and has resulted in minor injuries to me as well as the boat.

Perhaps a portable ramp for one tire to square the rack?? Any thoughts from those over 70:) would be greatly appreciated.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Take a younger person along with you help with the unloading and loading chore. And share the joy of fishing.

I still fish solo a lot, but I have some younger fishing partners. I like to have one of them along when I take the Lund out. I can unload it OK, but it's nice to have a younger person winch it back on the trailer at the end of the day. I'm also wanting them to learn to drive the boat in case one day I keel over on the river. Then they can drive the boat and me back to the ramp, and Backhoes R Us can take over.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think FishyJere has it wired. No need to risk it.

If you need leveling done, look at Lynx Levelers for RV's. I use these all the time on my camper. You can customize the square block levelers to adapt to various slopes. They are super stable. Amazon has them at very reasonable prices. As an added bonus, they store in a very compact bag.

Bob

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Think about changing to a different watercraft....perhaps an inflatable or a pedal kayak like a Hobie or Old Town with forward and reverse capabilities. At 72 I can easily load/unload a 12' Hobie transported in the bed of my Tacoma, and wheel it to the water with a scupper cart. Of course an inflatable is even easier.

As we age using a truck canopy rack to transport a heavy boat gets increasingly difficult and dangerous. For many years I transported a 17' canoe on a truck canopy top rack and comfortably dealt with it on my own (hell, I frequently parked a good distance from the launch point and just carried it on my shoulders with a yoke pad....but those days are far behind me now).

Of course there are all sorts of mechanisms and systems to simplify the task, but the more complicated things become always increases the likelihood that the inconvenience means they'll be used less and less.

The suggestion to find a younger fishing partner is excellent, but from a practical perspective most retirees prefer to fish weekdays to take advantage of fewer folks recreating during the work week...and it's likely the younger partner is still chained to a job. You could find another retired old fart to assist, but it's quite possible they'll not like dealing with an extended weight-lifting adventure every time you want to go fishing.

Last edited:

kmudgn

Steelhead
I have a 14 ft. Sportspal/Radisson canoe. It weighs 38 pounds and has a 750lb capacity. I load/unload it myself from the rack on top of my Tacoma. Very stable in the water as well. I also have a motor mount and with a 30lb trolling unit it goes like mad. Plus, its a hell of a lot cheaper & lighter than many (most?) of the fancy kayaks sold today.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Different watercraft or a trailer.

My little 12ft is on a trailer and I can't imagine trying to wrestle it off the top of a canopy. A kayak fits in the back of most trucks so easily.

How big/busy is the water you fish? Could you get away with one of those pond prowlers? Or even a 1040/1236 jon boat that could go in the back of the truck? One of those Dogfish boats maybe?

dep

Steelhead
have you considered getting a small trailer?
this is a 4x8 trailer and the boat I am getting lake ready.
I just ordered the ramp kit for the 2x6 boards I plan to use and I will be carpeting the boards for the boat to slide easier.

Attachments

• boatin trailer.jpg
    boatin trailer.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 27

RCF

Life of the Party
As we get older, we should of learned by now ---> work smarter, not harder. Our bodies tell us this much more as we age ---> me included.

I have been looking for a boat for over a year. It is always trade-offs including: capacity, weight, and comfort. I have owned pontoon boats and they have comfort and weight advantages but not capacity. I own a Livingston and it is great for capacity but the weight and comfort (damn hump) are not good. I have owned inflatables and they are good for capacity and weight but are not comfortable even with a telescoping seat. So I have resigned myself I need an additional boat, just for me.... Lighter weight (under 100 lbs.), good weight capacity (375 lbs.), and can fit in my truck bed. I am looking at 2 different ones this week that fit the 'bill'. Looking forward to pulling the trigger soon.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
have you considered getting a small trailer?
this is a 4x8 trailer and the boat I am getting lake ready.
I just ordered the ramp kit for the 2x6 boards I plan to use and I will be carpeting the boards for the boat to slide easier.
What is that boat? It looks like one old man could wrestle it pretty easily.

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I see these in use often: https://boatloader.com/
I’ve been looking into these. Just ran in to an older (than me and I’m old) gentleman up in BC using his new boat loader for the first time. He didn’t seem to have a problem, even being the first time, so that impressed me.
There are lots of video of folks diy ing these. What we need is an enterprising member of this forum to come up with a kit to retrofit a loader onto an existing lumber rack and an inexpensive 12v wench. Or even one of these:
A 10’ aluminum boat weighs just over 100 lbs.
I’d bite

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not sure if something like this would help you, but it might. The height of your truck might make it more difficult with the lifting involved.
Back in the day, we had a set-up like this for our 12 foot fiberglass boat that we carried on top of our station wagon.
At the top of the post, my dad installed what looked like a outboard mounting bracket that would turn 360 degrees on the post.
We had a set of small wheels up on the bow. That allowed us to wheel the boat around if need by the handles on the transom. When we'd hit the launch, my dad would turn the boat over and lift the transom onto the bracket. Tighten the bracket down on the transom just like an outboard then lift the bow up and swing it around to the top of the car. Worked like a charm and wish I had pictures of the set-up. I believe Eide has something similar, though with a roller. We bought that boat in the mid 60's and my 95 year old uncle still owns it. It even survived falling out of truck on I-90 at 70 mph. ;)
SF

Edit
This is very similar to what we used.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
One of the most common injuries for aging adults are rotator cuff tears, and there is no easier way to get them than wrestling overhead loads at awkward angles.
If you can't utilize a trailer (a swing arm hinge makes a big diff in garage storage), then look for the lightest solution that does not require lifting anything over chest high.