Uni knots

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For over 30 years the Uni knot has been my go-to favorite for over 90% of my tie-ons. I like that it can be loosened slightly and work as a loop knot or tightened and used conventionally. After tying thousands it is easy and quick and it's only downside to me is that it uses a little more tippet than a Davy knot.

Today I watched a video of a guy tying this knot and was surprised to see that he was taking the tag end through the loop 5 times. For all these years I have used 3 times through the loop and never more. I don't recall any failures at the knot, those are usually further up when a triple surgeons knot was poorly tied.

How about you guys, how many times through the loop for your Uni knots.? Two has worked at times but I am more comfortable with three and wonder how many others are using. Also known as the Hangman's knot or more popularly-the Duncan Loop.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

Mtnwkr

Steelhead
4-5, depending how cold my fingers are. Uni and double surgeon covers 99% of the knots i tie.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
The way I shake now a days, I couldn't tie any of those knots. I try to get things done without many turns of the tippet. The Davy knot is simple for me as is the double surgeons knot. Or any other knot that is simple. I've also gone back to the clinch knot. The least amount of turns the better. I just make sure that the knot is tight. It sucks to be handicapped.

I saw an interesting use of the duncan loop knot when nymphing or multiple fly subsurface fishing. Tie all the flies with the duncan loop knot but don’t snug it to the eye. Leave a little loop so that when a fish hits it will close the loop. If you just hookup briefly but lose the fish, you can at least see which fly he hit because that will be the fly that the loop is closed up tight to the hook.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I had to look up the Davy knot. Wasn't familiar with that one. I like the uni-knot but don't use it too often. Pretty much non-slip loop (if I want a loop) or improved clinch to connect flies for me. Then blood knot, double uni, or triple surgeons to connect sections of line depending on my mood. Perfection loop for loop to loop though a surgeons loop works fine there too. I use 5+ turns on the clinch, non-slip loop, and uni.

Uni is a pretty solid one-knot solution I suppose. Though it doesn't keep a reliable loop for subsurface stuff. I'm tying a loop knot for 90% of my fishing.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
3-4 for me.

But I rarely use it except for double unis. For flies, it's just clinch and non-slip loop...for most of the stuff I fish, that ends up being a non-slip loop.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Steve Huff double figure 8 loop knot could be an alternative for heavier tippets