Ungulate ID?

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Hey y'all -
I'm not a hunter and don't encounter WA's ungulates very often. This little guy was in the yard of a cabin on Hood Canal today; broad daylight, munching a blackberry bramble, no fear of us. It was foaming heavily at the mouth (maybe the thorns?)
Is this a young elk of some kind? I've never seen a dark bodied, long-haired deer like that (other than moose...which it is not!) No sign of an adult around.
Just curious - thanks!
20240101_194110.jpg
20240101_141514.jpg

Reactions: Zak

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Little blacktail with an unusually dark heavy winter coat, which seems weird as we’re having such a mild winter. I had some does wander thru our yard today and they all had much sleeker coats on.

The foaming mouth is disconcerting, I sure hope it’s not rabies! Though I’m guessing there are other explanations, maybe ingesting a toxin of some sort. Hope she pulls thru whatever is ailing her.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
last time I saw a foaming mouth like that was after I suggested to a girl friend maybe it was time we considered dating other folks

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
It may have AHD which causes foaming of mouth, etc. It’s a respiratory disease that stands for Adeno…I dunno. Been hammering gaggles of deer and different species for the past five or more years.