Uh, do we name the lake? Trip report protocol?

Chadk

Life of the Party
No names. Unless a giant lake with lots of pressure already. Rufus Woods, Chelan, Washington, Puget Sound (not a lake, but same idea).

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
When pondering this, I sometimes ask myself, Is it needed for the narrative? Does it add something important to the story that can't otherwise be described? And then I think about if it's already a highly pressured spot and/or "artificial" fishery and factor that in.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
When pondering this, I sometimes ask myself, Is it needed for the narrative? Does it add something important to the story that can't otherwise be described? And then I think about if it's already a highly pressured spot and/or "artificial" fishery and factor that in.
I like this way of thinking about it.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I enjoy the mystery of a good report without the specific spot being named. That applies to rivers, beaches or lakes regardless of how popular they are.
SF

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
If it's a popular well known spot, there's little harm in naming it. If it's somewhere that you'd prefer to not share with a few hundred of your closest "new friends", I would keep the naming and sharing of specifics to DMs or real life over a beer. Most of the time, I'm not against giving friends location info. But I rarely do it in a public post.

Remember, specifics you leave here will be available for google to show everyone for years and years to come (assuming we do a good job of keeping this place alive).

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In a larger sense, very much this. What I love about trip reports is hearing/seeing the experience that someone had.
Keeping with that theme, these sandhill cranes flew nearby overhead today and landed in the meadow. Fishing was okay but this was the highlight of the morning. They are calling this evening, probably to announce their departure.

IMG_4017.jpeg

RCF

Life of the Party
There is a reason why the board software automatically removes metadata/EXIF location information when pictures/videos are uploaded to the site ---> protect the location of the water being fished. That was implemented/established while this site was being created.

Edited to add: That should set the tone regarding the way the board looks at the way the site looks at providing identifying location information...

Last edited:

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I think it's more a stigma then actually matters. My own thoughts are that big lakes are almost always under utilized by fly fisherman so I'll often post the name because it doesn't matter. Small stuff I don't. I've had incredible lakes posted online by fishing guides, WDFW reports and so on and hardly noticed an uptick in crowds.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I think it's more a stigma then actually matters. My own thoughts are that big lakes are almost always under utilized by fly fisherman so I'll often post the name because it doesn't matter. Small stuff I don't. I've had incredible lakes posted online by fishing guides, WDFW reports and so on and hardly noticed an uptick in crowds.
I've got a GPS tracker on your Jeep.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ultimately, I don't know. Seems like it's acceptable to name lakes that are already generally very well known. Smaller, obscure, and less well known waters seem to be the ones that people would rather they not be named. Chopaka and Pass Lakes are commonly named on this forum, and no one seems to care. However, Frenchman's Pond shall be forever unnamed.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I enjoy the mystery of a good report without the specific spot being named. That applies to rivers, beaches or lakes regardless of how popular they are.
SF
Agreed… even though they’ve been lots of times where I’m dying to figure out where someone was fishing, I don’t want them divulging it to the world.

I actually enjoy sometimes playing detective and cruising Google maps, trying to figure out where someone was.

onefish

Steelhead
Take the techniques and tips and apply them to the water you are fishing. I don't want to know your hot spot, and I sure as hell will not be divulging mine, especially on the inter web.