U.S. drafts plan to bring grizzly bears back to Washington’s North Cascades (WAPO)

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Kinda wish I'd had one on 1 trip near Mt Adams where this tree was next to an ideal spot to hang my hammock.
View attachment 112060
Lying in my "bear burrito", I was awakened just as dawn was beginning to break by a loud, totally unfamiliar sound for about 15 minutes.
The recording doesn't do it justice. While it's funny now 😄, from the volume I perceived it was close. Combined with the echo effect through the trees from two different directions it was rather unsettling. 😨

I've seen and heard the show/display of a Common Nighthawk several times in the mountains around Snoqualmie/North Bend. It was very intriguing and unlike anything that I had ever heard before.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I've seen and heard the show/display of a Common Nighthawk several times in the mountains around Snoqualmie/North Bend. It was very intriguing and unlike anything that I had ever heard before.
They are around us all the time in summer...we watch them from the back deck.
Goatsuckers they used to be called.
Cool birds

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Or someone with a gun shaking while lying in a bear burrito!

1714161869613.png

regarding nighthawks, we were camping at Hovenweep in southern Utah. Middle of nowhere, but kept hearing that distinctive semi-truck braking sound. Asked the ranger why we could hear truck noises without a road nearby, and he pointed out that it was a nighthawk display. They dive, and when they pull up it makes that sound.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They should be charged with manslaughter if someone dies....
😁
From the 30's all the way into the 70's deer stocking was a commonly used method of repopulating habitat in many states by the various game departments.
I think the statute of limitations is up for those involved in those stocking programs, and those deer are all dead, so....all off the hook I am guessing.
:)
Didn’t know that hatchery deer were a thing, did they clip the tails ;)

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Oh great! Now ultra-light hikers are going to have to add pounds to their hiking kit for bear spray and a 10 mm Glock. That's equal to the weight of a tent and sleeping bag!
And now those expensive "heavy" bear canisters to boot. What happened to the days of just taking a slower-footed hiking partner along plan? That was usually plenty enough needed safety.

Last edited:

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Whoa now...
Don't throw those tin foil hats away quite yet...

They are still changing the weather and talking to lizard people up there.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Whoa now...

You guys joke around like that's not what's actually happening.

Reactions: Zak

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I had a full head of hair before I spent quite a bit of time in the Slana-Mentasta area. Now I don't have it anymore.

Not sayin' it was HAARP......but it was HAARP.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had a full head of hair before I spent quite a bit of time in the Slana-Mentasta area. Now I don't have it anymore.

Not sayin' HAARP was the cause...but it was due to diabolical machinations of HAARP.

Bob Lazar is my uncle. Actually one hell of a fly angler.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
Shots on target are what counts…and familiarity with the weapon. Few relish the thought of heading to the range and firing a box or two of .454, .44 mag or .500 rounds once a month. More 10mm & .45’s with hard cast ammo are being carried these days…
Speaking of carrying in woods. While horse packing I carried a Ruger 44 magnum.
Not for the bears, but to put down a hurt horse or the person I was riding with if they became to annoying.

JudyM

Steelhead
Whoa now...

I kind of go deaf when it comes to conspiracy theories. I'd rather hang out with Skunk Works.