U.S. drafts plan to bring grizzly bears back to Washington’s North Cascades (WAPO)

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Oh great! Now ultra-light hikers are going to have to add pounds to their hiking kit for bear spray and a 10 mm Glock. That's equal to the weight of a tent and sleeping bag!
We carried a 454 Casull in AK...if you want to make an experienced Alaskan lapse into total mirth talk about carrying a 10mm for bear. Even a Casull is considered inadequate...so it appears Rob will have to clutch a 12 GA with slugs as he listens fearfully to noises outside his tent at night.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
We carried a 454 Casull in AK...if you want to make an experienced Alaskan lapse into total mirth talk about carrying a 10mm for bear. Even a Casull is considered inadequate...so it appears Rob will have to clutch a 12 GA with slugs as he listens fearfully to noises outside his tent at night.
Thread drift: In recent years the advances in hard cast ammo has produced several incidents in AK and MT where 10 mm has taken down grizzlies. It's now considered preferable to the former standard 44 magnum, and 10 mm holds more rounds, 10 - 15 instead of 5 or 6. Another advantage of the 10 mm is that it is a lot faster to get back on target than the 44 due to much less kick. I'm not saying 10 mm is better than a 12 GA, but it is now a proven alternative.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thread drift: In recent years the advances in hard cast ammo has produced several incidents in AK and MT where 10 mm has taken down grizzlies. It's now considered preferable to the former standard 44 magnum, and 10 mm holds more rounds, 10 - 15 instead of 5 or 6. Another advantage of the 10 mm is that it is a lot faster to get back on target than the 44 due to much less kick. I'm not saying 10 mm is better than a 12 GA, but it is now a proven alternative.
Shots on target are what counts…and familiarity with the weapon. Few relish the thought of heading to the range and firing a box or two of .454, .44 mag or .500 rounds once a month. More 10mm & .45’s with hard cast ammo are being carried these days…

krusty

Forum Supporter
Yup, I've heard that, and both are pathetic in terms of ft pounds. I've got Glocks, and I often carry Glock 30 .45 when hiking bear country (Salmo-Priest, with an estimated 40-50 grizz population as measured by hair follicle genetic testing)...along with bear spray.

Honestly...the best defense is being noisy.

Last edited:

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Pretty sure the deer already are in popular recreation areas? Does this warrant removing them?
They should be charged with manslaughter if someone dies....
😁
From the 30's all the way into the 70's deer stocking was a commonly used method of repopulating habitat in many states by the various game departments.
I think the statute of limitations is up for those involved in those stocking programs, and those deer are all dead, so....all off the hook I am guessing.
:)

krusty

Forum Supporter
They should be charged with manslaughter if someone dies....
😁
From the 30's all the way into the 70's deer stocking was a commonly used method of repopulating habitat in many states by the various game departments.
I think the statute of limitations is up for those involved in those stocking programs, and those deer are all dead, so....all off the hook I am guessing.
Yes...but those damn beekeepers gotta be held responsible for all those anaphylactic shock bee sting deaths. And don't get me started on contrail caused lightning deaths.

Flymph

Steelhead
OK, it's going to take 60 - 100 years to establish a sustainable population. Who on this forum will still be alive or physically able to hack into the bush for a "rare" encounter with brother bruin in 60 years? All this of course if recovery even works, crazies don't kill them off before they get a chance to repopulate, disease, or the Soap Lake Militia spreads its evil tentacles further and further throughout the NW!:ninja:😬

Last edited:

Mossback

Forum Supporter
I have a friend who has bees, he grew up the son of a beekeeper in Idaho, who trucked his bees to farmers around the Henry's Fork by St. Anthony in the 30's -50's.
Interesting stories from him, many involving getting stung.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
^^^^we need names and we need to see their papers^^^^^

.....lawsuits waiting.

A non native bee sting worth millions.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I have a friend who has bees, he grew up the son of a beekeeper in Idaho, who trucked his bees to farmers around the Henry's Fork by St. Anthony in the 30's -50's.
Interesting stories from him, many involving getting stung.
Childhood acquaintance became an ardent beekeeper as an adult...got stung a fair bit with no problem...until the final sting that closed down his windpipe and choked him to death within minutes.

I tell you...a bald-faced hornet nest hanging above a stream is far more terrifying than any bear. If disturbed their attack is truly a force of nature.

Last edited:

krusty

Forum Supporter
People have real problems assessing relative risks associated with hazards.

Alaska, with a population that heavily recreates in areas with high bear densities, has a fatal bear attack about every other year.

On the other hand, Washington has, on the average, slightly more than two vehicle traffic deaths per day, which we're apparently quite comfortable with.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
I get stung at times, spending as much time in gardens as I do. Was deadheading some flowers at home a few years ago, got stung in the eyelid 3 times, that was a good one
Another time I was clearing an area for a new planting with an excavator, and doing some hand work to level it out after clearing and got 21 stings from a ground hornet posse that found my behavior quit unacceptable.
Good times to be sure.
I don't hate bees, but hornets and wasps can GFT..
🤣

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
...so it appears Rob will have to clutch a 12 GA with slugs as he listens fearfully to noises outside his tent at night.

Kinda wish I'd had one on 1 trip near Mt Adams where this tree was next to an ideal spot to hang my hammock.
1714157273463.jpeg
Lying in my "bear burrito", I was awakened just as dawn was beginning to break by a loud, totally unfamiliar sound for about 15 minutes.
The recording doesn't do it justice. While it's funny now 😄, from the volume I perceived it was close. Combined with the echo effect through the trees from two different directions it was rather unsettling. 😨

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Personally, I’m more worried about ticks and snakes.