U.S. drafts plan to bring grizzly bears back to Washington’s North Cascades (WAPO)

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What my Cuz up in Juneau texted me back after I texted him about the Griz being "transplanted": "Brownies eat black bears. So, where you find brownies, you don't find many black bears. They are at the top of the food chain."
Brownies are nearly three times the size of grizzlies. Black bears will try to avoid the grizzlies anyway.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Let's just be really real for a minute. No offense intended to anyone but if you can't handle real I feel sorry for you cause blunt gets to the bottom of things quickly.

It's always those that don't have to deal with the consequences of these types of things that are all for them. The typical pro predator individual is either a dot com urbanite who fancies themselves an outdoor type by hiking popular trails and maybe getting that sea kayak out on a windy day or they are on the governor appointed game commission masquerading as an unbiased expert in such matters. Their net time in areas where interaction with a grizzly is possible is net near zero. Therefore they are comfortable with their edgy opinions on what is right and environmentally just. They are essentially out of touch with the realities of many things.

Many who are against such things are so for selfish sporting reasons. And they fear for their safety. Most hunters I know that are of the predator hunting variety harbour a fear of these animals. However slight, primal, or buried in the subconscious their hinting is a means to atone and exercise this instinct. Some are overly concerned with the realities of the matter and out of touch in their own ways.

Then there's people who do spend their time in the woods. Maybe making a living there and dwelling there without the common lifestyles enjoyed by most. These people see the whole issue and debate as idiotic and will ultimately be who ends up in conflict with the hatchery bear spirit animal some Seattleite loves so much. It's a waste of time, money, and frankly will probably be a boondoggle of epic proportions for no gain. The habitat is there but the Bears can't show proper passport to get South of the 49th? Again, I don't get it. It's feel good bullshit to reintroduce them. This isn't Yellowstone and conflicts are absolutely inevitabe. It won't be because dot com Gary is out for a rugged hike in the cascades though. It will be some poor hungry bear wandering into a feedlot or rural town only to be paperwork filled, observed, then shot. Then a bunch of nerds will study the shit out of it literally and we can all feel good about the amazing science and rewilding we are doing? It's a crock of shit with berries and seeds included. But hey somebody got their feel good thing and didn't have to deal with it. They probably will weigh in via Facebook though on how heartless the shooter was and how they are disappointed in the wdfw for not doing "the right thing."

There's more productive things to worry about and spend conservation dollars on even if it is "free" federal money. It's time to face reality. If grizzlies were able to make a living in the cascades they would be doing it and likely are in numbers that can be supported.
My concern for the guy who has to kill one in WA is the legal mess he’ll likely find himself in.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Jet ski?...we almost bought a house on Bainbridge years ago...I was going to get a jet ski...
Nope, Kayak and a 17 foot BW Whaler. Never been on a Jet Ski. Jet Sking in a wet does not seem all that appealing!

Islander

Life of the Party
Recently, I keep hearing people say that black bears are more dangerous than grizzlies.

“If a grizzly attacks you, you’re in its way. If a black bear attacks you, you’re in its stomach.”

I’ve inferred that black bears are less likely to attack you, but you’re screwed if they do. Is that how it works?
This is correct. Since moving to Wyoming and talking with people who actually spend a lot of time in wilderness areas hunting and fishing, not people who sit at a desk and publish studies and write policy. These folks, their friends and relatives, have a huge amount of real time bear experiences and the rule is: if a grizzly attacks you, playing dead (if you can’t shoot it first) will save your live. If a black bear attacks you, fight like hell because it will eat you.
839D6D0A-961E-494E-87CB-4FA0B487F3ED.jpeg
This pic was taken by a good buddy of mine on a hill above one of my favorite lakes in the Beartooths.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not directly related to the Cascades introduction but an interesting read.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Yeah totally, lots of grass and pesky ranch land destroying elk to munch on!
It's been some time since I read Steve Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage", a historical document about Lewis and Clark and their encounters with grizzly bears on the plains. Yeah, those pesky ranch land destroying elk! Isn't it missing elk (@Billy) that started this thread? ;-)

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Not directly related to the Cascades introduction but an interesting read.
Migrating for protein...feel like we have talked about this before😁

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
It's either a male or a female bear which may or may not be migrating for food purposes...😁
🤣 Ok. Young horny male bears (boars) looking for some sexy female bears (sows) and a territory to call their own. Testosterone is one helluva drug.

Is Montana short on protein? Honest question.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
It's either a male or a female bear which may or may not be migrating for food purposes...
Following the berry migration would be my guess . . .