Tying Tube flies on a Regal Vise

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I own a Regal rotary and tie a lot of tube flies. Right now I need to run the head of the vise up at an angle to allow the pin I tie on to pass through the jaws in order to get a good hold. At that angle, spinning the vise just to see the bottom of the fly results in a caddy-wompus motion that's annoying.

This is pricey, but looks like it would be the bees-knees: https://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-18073-regal-fly-tying-vise-tube-head.aspx?vid=53865 Anyone got one; like it; don't like it?

Looking at the HMH tube tool too. That would at least rotate in a concentric circle around the vise' axis. But I like to tie on Pro Sports Fisher flexi-tubes. Seems like their pins(mandrels) are custom sized for HMH tubing.

Thanks in advance
Erich

Last edited:

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I own a Regal rotary and tie a lot of tube flies. Right now I need to run the head of the vise up at an angle to allow the pin I tie on to pass through the jaws in order to get a good hold. At that angle, spinning the vise just to see the bottom of the fly results in a caddy-wompus motion that's annoying.

This is pricey, but looks like it would be the bees-knees: https://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-18073-regal-fly-tying-vise-tube-head.aspx?vid=53865 Anyone got one; like it; don't like it?

Looking at the HMH vise too. That would at least rotate in a concentric circle around the vise' axis. But I like to tie on Pro Sports Fisher flexi-tubes. Seems like their pins(mandrels) are custom sized for HMH tubing.

Thanks in advance
Erich
Erich....give Mitch at Two Rivers Fly Shop a call. He ties on a Regal and possibly tube flies. See if he has tried that tube head and/or could let you try one out at the Albany Fly Tying Expo in March??

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I don't have this but for the price almost think it would be worth a shot! Good reviews and $6.95 for a cost...

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I have a 30+ old Regal and have used the HMH tube adapter in it for years. It has worked fine, but it’s kind of done in my jaw opening spring tension in due to the thickness of the part you put in the vise. It’s way thicker than any hooks I’ve ever tied on. The vise still works, but I have to kind of manually close it for it to hold a hook. I have another head, so I should probably send this one in to be serviced.
If I tied tubes more often, I’d go the needle route that @Eastside suggested.
SF

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I don't have this but for the price almost think it would be worth a shot! Good reviews and $6.95 for a cost...

no brainer for $7.

flybill

Life of the Party

I have a Regal, and have this and another needle that steps up. I'll find both and take a picture. Don't go with those first two options, unless you want to spend the money or tie a ton of tube flies. I want to see the Regal adaptor in person, but wouldn't pay anywhere near that $170!!