SFR Two years out....Retirement

Sorta fishing-related

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Can’t help you, if my wife would agree I’d leave Washington in a flash…
Ya, if not for family, even my wife is really close to being done and to fed up with Washington. Looking a little east or maybe south.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I retired at 62 and I was told I would be bored.
Well, what I found was that I wonder how I ever found time to work.
I lived in the Wenatchee area for over 20 yrs then another 8 after retirement.
I never liked living in Wenatchee and when my wife said her friend was moving to the Roseburg, OR area, I said let's check it out.
Best thing I ever did was moving here.
We made a bundle of $ selling our home there and buying here.
Great neighbors, black tail deer, wild turkey, hawks, eagles, skunks, and other fun wildlife.
I don't talk politics, or religion with my human neighbors.
One of the things I have learned is "that no matter where ya go, you will be there"

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Dan,
As you know, after I retired at 66 from a Hanford contractor I was back at work part-time with Energy Northwest within 6 months. I couldn't wait to retire for the last 10 years of my career, but when I did I found myself in a foreign land. Having moved from our homeland of Western NY, I now had lots of time but no close friends to spend it with. That is, fishing friends. When the call came to help out at Columbia Generating Station, I felt relevant again, which shocked the hell out of me. I never would have imagined that would even be a thing, but it was powerful.

Then comes Covid and working from home, which I loved, and our daughter's mental crisis, we found ourselves parenting our grandson. Fortunately, we can afford to raise another kid, but it certainly doesn't allow the freedom one expects in retirement. So I finally thought the need for this fulfillment was out of my system when I left Energy Northwest (again) in mid-2022 only to get another call from the Hanford contractor looking for my help. In April I started a six-month contract which I hope to leave early by the end of next month. At 72 I REALLY think it is time, this time, to retire.

Everyone is different and there may be times you actually miss the work environment. Resist it and find a volunteering gig. It will probably scratch that itch and feel good at the same time. Also, don't be afraid to retire and make bold decisions while your young enough to recover, but as many have recommended, be sure to plan for the eventuality of limiting mobility and health issues. We can't stop aging, only be prepared to do it gracefully.

Good luck!

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
Boy, great thread. Just sat through the 'get ready for retirement' seminar this morning where I work and it was very intimidating. The nice lady had a slide on the alphabet soup of Medicare and it was pretty scary. I turn 62 this summer, my wife is 64, and our financial people say we are on track for me retiring at 65. My wife is already down to two days a week. A few things we realize and are talking about.....

We live in southeast WA, the Clearwater is 30 min away, and in 5 to 6 hours we could be near the coast of WA or OR, or way into MT, so we really like where we are at.

We really enjoy hiking, snowshoeing, XC skiing, and camping, and find our area has all of that for us. We would like to get out of here to someplace warm around Feb!

I lived in Bellingham for college and my job / hiking passion takes me to the North Cascades every summer. My dream was to retire there but that place has just get much too big for us. Plus, alot of you from the westside build up huge equity in your homes over time, while housing is much cheaper over here on the east side. We could not buy a shack in Whatcom county with the $$ we would get out of home here. Our solution is to upgrade our travel trailer from a 24' to something much larger and spend time in Whatcom county, the OR coast, etc.

This thread is very eye-opening. We are really looking forward to retiring, but it is a bit intimidating. But a buddy of mine who retired about ten years ago told me just do it as fast as possible. A big piece of advice was that you will never feel like you have enough money, but just retire and dont worry about it!

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
I have not yet retired but my job is to help people achieve retirement. I have been at it for 25 years and many of my clients have been retired for 20 years or more. Most people love being retired but some DO NOT and they find themselves living in misery with regret about leaving their career. I have seen all sorts of issues de-rail people's retirement but many of them are unique. Assuming you have solved all the money issues there are a few reoccurring themes that I have seen over the last 25 years.

1- Men in particular, tend to underestimate the self-worth/purpose that comes from their career. I rarely see women struggle with this, but some do. Those that find a new mission seem to be very happy.

2- Some folks struggle with the extended time that they find themselves spending with their wives post career.

3- Everyday is a Saturday but that might not be the case for the people you want to hang out with.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have not yet retired but my job is to help people achieve retirement. I have been at it for 25 years and many of my clients have been retired for 20 years or more. Most people love being retired but some DO NOT and they find themselves living in misery with regret about leaving their career. I have seen all sorts of issues de-rail people's retirement but many of them are unique. Assuming you have solved all the money issues there are a few reoccurring themes that I have seen over the last 25 years.

1- Men in particular, tend to underestimate the self-worth/purpose that comes from their career. I rarely see women struggle with this, but some do. Those that find a new mission seem to be very happy.

2- Some folks struggle with the extended time that they find themselves spending with their wives post career.

3- Everyday is a Saturday but that might not be the case for the people you want to hang out with.
truth...

I loved the business's I built with the sweat of my brow, and the first couple years I second guessed if I left too early from something I loved...but in hindsight now, I am so thankful I left when I did...

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
So much has been covered here, so I'll just add this.
If you'd like to talk homes in upscale 55 plus communities, I've owned five of them, they're kind of like potato chips, once you start, it's hard to stop.

I think that makes me fairly well versed on the subject.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
Bellingham if you like massive amounts of homeless, drug abuse, and crime. Other than that, from a wide angle lens it’s pretty. Not political, purely factual. When my two young boys are grown, I will be gone and not coming back. It’s not the Bellingham I grew up in. I think Anacortes may be a bit nicer.

Last edited:
I cannot really contribute to this thread, but I will be following with interest as I will be retiring at the end of this month. I am trying to figure out if I will be staying in Washington or relocating.
Congratulations Bruce and thanks for all your help over the years with my Scientific Collection Permits. I will follow you next year into retirement too.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I retired at 70 (thanks to @iveofione and another close friend who constantly hectored me to retire) and have been retired for about 1.5 years. My wife retired almost 10 years ago. It was quite an adjustment for both of us, and would have been even more problematic had we retired at the same time. Both our jobs were stressful, though very rewarding, and it's been a slow process to reorient the mental energy once focused on work....but neither of us were ever sorry we retired. It's just a big adjustment, though made much easier since our finances were well in order. No debt is a prime requirement.

I also think it's much easier for us folks that have a lot of hobbies...I know quite a few people who moved to retirement communities who just vegetated and went rapidly downhill because they never developed non-work interests...or much of a reason to do anything at all.

Many people dream of moving upon retirement to places that they've only visited during the best of seasons, do so, and find there's a whole 'nuther side' to the 'off-season' that may not constitute paradise.

Also known quite a few retirees relocate to be near children/grandchildren, only to find them moving to other locations for work or their own interests. There's a common misconception among aging parents that one's offspring really desire that their retired parents become a much larger part of their own developing lives. They're rightfully quite busy navigating their own way through life without a couple of needy geezers hanging around all the time offering increasingly irrelevant life advice.

Finally...find a residence in which you can 'age in place', with medical services reasonably available.

Nothing wrong with 'living the dream' at retirement...unless that dream isn't tethered to reality.

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I have nothing to contribute on the retirement end, but just a thought that occurred to me while reading the OP.....

I would suggest, in the best way I can word this, to expect some changes in your relationship and to maybe find a way to focus on that end of things as well. I have to imagine that entering retirement will be a massive transition for the both of you under any circumstsnce. Moving in together full time could potentially be another interesting transition for two independent people used to more or less living on their own. I don't have any idea how to smooth that transition but it jumped out at me and figured it was worth mentioning. Lots of changes going on, all for the good of course, but just trying to suggest that to not lose sight of the big changes that will be occurring in your relationship with your spouse as well. I spend six months out of the year basically living away from my wife, and I know for us there is this strange honeymoon period when I get home in the fall that is also mixed with an adjustment period as we both have spent the last six months basically living all alone. It's never a bad thing but I do find myself getting some anxiety and stress at times during that first week or two back and I know it's the same for my wife.

I hope this is received in the manner intended. Not a judgement on your relationship whatsoever, just imagine that it would be easy to kinda forget about those changes while dealing with the anxiety and all of an upcoming retirement.

Best of luck as you approach what must be an exciting and slightly scary time of your life! I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible for you guys and you enjoy a long and happy retirement filled with good times and hopefully lots of tight lines!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have nothing to contribute on the retirement end, but just a thought that occurred to me while reading the OP.....

I would suggest, in the best way I can word this, to expect some changes in your relationship and to maybe find a way to focus on that end of things as well. I have to imagine that entering retirement will be a massive transition for the both of you under any circumstsnce. Moving in together full time could potentially be another interesting transition for two independent people used to more or less living on their own. I don't have any idea how to smooth that transition but it jumped out at me and figured it was worth mentioning. Lots of changes going on, all for the good of course, but just trying to suggest that to not lose sight of the big changes that will be occurring in your relationship with your spouse as well. I spend six months out of the year basically living away from my wife, and I know for us there is this strange honeymoon period when I get home in the fall that is also mixed with an adjustment period as we both have spent the last six months basically living all alone. It's never a bad thing but I do find myself getting some anxiety and stress at times during that first week or two back and I know it's the same for my wife.

I hope this is received in the manner intended. Not a judgement on your relationship whatsoever, just imagine that it would be easy to kinda forget about those changes while dealing with the anxiety and all of an upcoming retirement.

Best of luck as you approach what must be an exciting and slightly scary time of your life! I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible for you guys and you enjoy a long and happy retirement filled with good times and hopefully lots of tight lines!
I've known a few fishing guides that are married and spend the season away in AK...it's almost like being in the military and being deployed...

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I've known a few fishing guides that are married and spend the season away in AK...it's almost like being in the military and being deployed...

Growing up my step dad was a commercial fisherman in Alaska so he was gone for 4 months or so then home for 2 or 3. I watched my parents go through that transition every season.

My mom always said the reason their marriage worked at the time was because of that schedule. He'd get home and it was honeymoon all over again. Then a couple months later when they were sick of each other, off he'd go lol.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is an awesome thread with lots of good advice (one of the reasons I love PNW Fly Fishing). I retired 7 years ago at age 59 and we were fortunate to purchase our dream home on the Oregon Coast before home prices went stupid.

What I would emphasize is to make time to exercise your brain. There are lots of way to do this so whatever works for you. My dad, who's 92 years young is sharp as a tack and still does a crossword puzzle every morning at breakfast. I have childhood memories of him cutting the puzzle out of the morning newspaper and clipping it on a clipboard (he was a track coach) before working on it.

Best of luck to this new, exciting chapter - you will love it!

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I had lots of pre-retirement anxiety around what I would do with my time. My thinking was: how much can I ski, fish, wing foil? It turns out I can do it as much or as little as conditions, desire, and ability will allow.

I was worried about not having anything of substance to do and might end up wasting my time. As it turned out, I've been a volunteer in two high school programs (although we're off for the summer) and do a weekly stint at the local food bank. I got very involved in the local Rotary Club and joined the Board of a local non-profit wind sports advocacy group. That still leaves lots of time to read, binge Netflix and indulge my love of fly fishing, winging and skiing. Life is pretty good!

I'm still early in my transition from work (2-1/2 months) and am just starting to 'let go' and just enjoy each day. I don't miss 'being' my profession, and I DON'T miss working!

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Congratulations Bruce and thanks for all your help over the years with my Scientific Collection Permits. I will follow you next year into retirement too.
You are very welcome :)

Until a replacement is hired, my boss will be taking over my duties. If you do have some SCP questions before you retire, feel free to ask and I will help you if I can.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
A slightly different take:
I was fortunate enough to be able to retire at 51, which roughly coincided with my daughters going off to college, so my amount of free time went from 0 to 70 pretty fast.

I assumed that I needed to do many of the things others here have mentioned - keeping busy, forming a routine, volunteering, joining groups to stay socialized. I did those for the first couple years - until Covid hit and a lot of the social/volunteer things were curtailed - and I realized how much happier I was not doing those things.
With the exception of The Mayfly Project (a handful of half day outings per year, mostly interacting with kids, which is a joy!) I realized that every meeting I had filled me with dread, not satisfaction. I have since switched my support of various causes from giving my time to financial support, and am much happier.
My advice is to be honest with yourself about yourself. If you are not now a people person, retirement will not change that. If you hate travel, love problem-solving, hate weeding the garden, love or hate being alone, or love working toward goals alongside your fellows...that's not likely to change. Most folks retire so they can do what they like, so be honest about what that is, and don't let societal expectations define it for you!

No matter how much or how little time you decide to spend with other people, if that's time you look forward to, it shows, and makes their lives better. If you're only doing it because you feel you should, your presence may not be the positive thing you intend. You can't spread joy you don't have.

Spend some time now really thinking about what gives you peace and what gives you anxiety, and don't worry about whether the world sees you as "useful." If both you and your spouse thrive on time apart and that makes your shared time more enjoyable, don't force yourselves to have a more "conventional" relationship. Let yourselves be you, and be happy.

I sincerely believe that in the divided, anger-filled political environment in which we are currently living, each and every person who is not actively radiating stress is helping to keep our society from melting down. It's as good a retirement goal as any!