Twenty-three dollar surfperch

I finally caught one of the dang things! I’ve tried maybe three times before and always felt like I am on a fool’s errand. But after scoping this stretch of beach all week, I finally bit the bullet, bought the one day out of state license, got my 8 weight and 300 grain streamer express ready, and set my alarm for 5:30. I woke up at 5:10. Sweet, time for a leisurely coffee before I wader up and stroll up the beach to the deeper, steeper spot I’ve been watching.

Getting there about an hour before high tide, I was quickly reminded of how intimidating the Pacific Ocean surf can be, and how challenging it is to fly fish it. Line management line management line management and timing timing timing. The beach looked good, I guess, based on reading about surfperch fishing. It has the most structure to it of all this stretch—scalloping, rocky and steep-ish.
Up the beach:6E1DCB0F-B0F0-414D-8E42-48317C0688CE.jpeg
Down the beach :
17D4C1E8-B669-4D9B-961E-CBA71D46E55B.jpeg
After an hour of nuthin, I had that fools errand feeling and so I took a break, ate a couple hard boiled eggs, and switched to a slightly lighter and all orange egg yarn fly. It wasn’t long before I laid a decent cast out into the retreating water right before a smooth wave face that I got a tug back and a decent wiggle on the ol’ TFO 8 weight warhorse. I was pretty pleased and decided to take this fish home to try. Maybe if Oregon offered a $15 one day CnR license I’d have bought that and released the fish...
A445B121-196C-4D15-A565-699A38B0E388.jpeg
That kept me going for another hour where I tried to replicate that same successful presentation. I made a few that felt pretty good but no more luck. The sun is out and it’s a beautiful day so I left to check in with the fam; last full day here.
Surfperch snacks later! And the skunk is finally off my PNWFF beanie! I was beginning to wonder about that thing...but it’s redeemed.
EEAE5E89-F892-4F11-ADFA-0BD442ECC491.jpeg

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice job!!! And a decent size too! Took me a very long time to let go of the "fool's errand" feeling without a carton of sand shrimp. I think there's actually an advantage with fly gear in that you're covering a lot more water. Even if the casting range is limited, but that's only shown me they can be much closer than I ever thought.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Almost all the online material says the 2 hours before and 2 hours after high tide are what you want to target. This week there were nice daybreak high tides.
What about low tide fishing around big structure—all the rocks and bluffs and swirly intertidal stuff?

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
When I used to gear fish them a bunch I’d have some killer days on the low incoming tide. Either straight beach or with big structure. Finding a good trench can reward you and it’s easier with limited scouting time at the low. It’s a bit sketchy though and you really have to pay attention to your exit plan as the tide rolls in. I found myself in almost nipple deep water one time as I was heading back to the beach. Didn’t pay attention to the fact that I had crossed a pretty wide depression on my way out to the trench. Scary stuff for sure.

I’ve also had some great days on the fly where fresh meets salt. Think bigger trench. Congrats on your fish!!!

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
When I first looked at your photos on my phone, I was wondering why you put the fish in your hat. That slime would ruin it forever 😅

Nice work! A friend just returned from the WA coast with some tales of surf perch. He used a drop shot bait rig with Berkeley gulp leeches.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
a drop shot bait rig with Berkeley gulp leeches.
I've tried that so many times when I've gone to the beach with the family....for some reason I always do better with flies (not gonna stop me from taking my spinning rod & some Gulp worms on family trips to the beach though).

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Nice work! I've tried northern OR coast before but no luck, only place I've caught them was at Carmel-by-the-sea area in CA.
Pacific surf is no joke, made me feel grateful for the Sound.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
5e2748af610be.image.jpg

I had a really fun day years ago catching Surf Perch on the California coast using "Sand Fleas" that I caught and used for bait.

There are recipes for tying them online. I'd bet they would work well.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
You might be inspiring me to go give Perch Surfing another go. I've never had any luck down here in Humboldt, CA. I think I just periodically fired up to try going for them, but I never hit the conditions very well. Nice work!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Well Matt I have to hand it to Microsoft bing image creator, the below image is created with prompts of "black and white, ansel adams style, beach, fly fishing, tetons, cumulonimbus, sun breaks the prompt I didn't use was surf perchView attachment 62340
Somebody tell that creepy, horribly disfigured creature that there’s some weather moving in. Time to head for the mountain cabana.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Congrats on the surf perch! I bought some saltwater spinning gear last year hoping to give it a try but haven't made it out yet.