Turkey Power Swap - CANCELLED

"Thanksgiving is an emotional holiday. People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year - and then discover once a year is way too often!" - Johnny Carson

This is an over the holiday, 1st of the new year swap. The flies will not be due until Wednesday, January 10th, 2024 so we can 1) AVOID the holiday season - your families can appreciate this, and 2) AVOID the holiday mails - those USPS ponies need the break!

WE have Mr. Lacey Gee to thank for this swap because if it wasn't for this founder of the Waspi Fly Company, we might be using marabou the same way that we use Jungle Cock! Marabou gets its name from the Marabou Stork - where these feathers first came from. For those tyers out there with grey (or no!) hair might remember that Jungle Cock was illegal to have back in the '70's without a proper bona fide. The marabou stork was going down the same route - over harvested because of its feathers! If it wasn't for Mr. Gee finding out that turkey marabou acts the same as the feathers of the stork, we might be paying Jungle Cock prices for marabou - if we could get it at all!

Flies for this swap have to be tied with marabou OR other turkey feathers as a material. The registration for this swap closes on Monday, December 4th, 2023 and, as mentioned, flies are due to me by Wednesday, January 10th, 2024. This will give more than a month to register as well as more than a month to finish your flies after that! We need a minimum of 6 tyers and the swap is open to up to 12 total registrants. It is open to ALL level tyers and new faces, including anyone new to tying/swapping is most welcome! As always, I will share a fly tying gift or two with all swappers. When you register (or shortly thereafter, please include the name of the pattern that your going to tie - we DO NOT want see a whole bunch of olive Wooly Buggers!

ALL SWAPPERS - remember to include the 5 basic items needed for each swap - your flies each with it's own toe tag, sent in a swap box, with a SASE included (so you get your set of flies back!), all included in your sending envelope. If you'd like to SPOIL the swap host (ME!), please include your screen name on each of the last 4 needed items.

If you are new to swaps and/or fly tying please contact me and let me know so I can give you any assistance to make your swap a great experience!

Lastly, and most importantly, HAVE FUN! That's why we took up this hobby!

Kim

1- Flybill
2- Long_Rod_Silverrs
3- ++++++++++++++++++++++cancelled due to lees than 6 tyers registered++++++++++++++++++++++++++
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Marabou doesn't get me excited. What about flies using any material off a Turkey? I kinda want to do that bi-visable swap I noticed going on at the other place, but I would have to create an account. 🤷‍♂️

Marabou doesn't get me excited. What about flies using any material off a Turkey? I kinda want to do that bi-visable swap I noticed going on at the other place, but I would have to create an account. 🤷‍♂️
I hear you my friend! An oversight on my part and this swap is open for ANY turkey feathers in the pattern - no leftover dark meat please!:sick:

Kim

My limited imagination keeps me from thinking of anything but feathers/feather parts being used. If there are other turkey materials out there they will meet the theme as well

Divad

Whitefish
Turkey flats make great intruder props and winter heading is just around the corner! 🦃🎣

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I'm already in another contest for the months of November & December so I'm going to have to sit this one out. Not enough free time unfortunately.

With the holidays, family getting together, shopping....OK I'll let you off this time!

Kim

You and yours have a great and memorable holiday season!

Well the Thanksgiving story DID involve the native Americans! You are in and most welcome!

Have you ever heard of the Indian Streamer? It's a must have fly in many boxes around the Great Lakes area. The pattern was based on a lure the Iroquois (and possibly the Algonquin) used in this area. It was simply a sun dried and bleached avian bone with a cord running through the bone and a gorge, the a bone hook and later a metal hook (via trading). It worked because the bone would cause cavitations when drawn through the water. Here's a fine example from Norm's site (he ONLY ties fine examples!). Here's the site - https://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2017/04/indian-streamer.html.

Kim

flybill

Life of the Party
Well the Thanksgiving story DID involve the native Americans! You are in and most welcome!

Have you ever heard of the Indian Streamer? It's a must have fly in many boxes around the Great Lakes area. The pattern was based on a lure the Iroquois (and possibly the Algonquin) used in this area. It was simply a sun dried and bleached avian bone with a cord running through the bone and a gorge, the a bone hook and later a metal hook (via trading). It worked because the bone would cause cavitations when drawn through the water. Here's a fine example from Norm's site (he ONLY ties fine examples!). Here's the site - https://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2017/04/indian-streamer.html.

Kim
Well, even I can tie those up!! Interesting though.. now I have to decide what to tie.. probably something articulated.. or on a tube.. heavy streamer.. olive.. not sure beyond that!

OK and thanks to Flybill for breaking the ice on this winter swap :rolleyes: (Sorry about that!)

Now lets get some more tyers to join in! Remember all you need to tie is a pattern that involves some turkey feathers/feather material - marabou, flats, tails, biots.... The world is your oyster BUT there is one hard and fast rule in all my swaps - HAVE FUN!

Kim

Well, even I can tie those up!! Interesting though.. now I have to decide what to tie.. probably something articulated.. or on a tube.. heavy streamer.. olive.. not sure beyond that!
No problem! There is time and simply let me know when you decide and I'll note it down for you on the site.

Kim

flybill

Life of the Party
1699631691785.png
Something like this with some blue and black in it! I love it when a plan comes together!

The Patriotic Marabou! FlyBill edition.. or a variety of Dennis Dickson's Cop Car! Haha!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
There is LESS than 2 weeks left to register for this swap and there is only ONE
person registered. There is a MINIMUM of 6 people needed to run this swap!
Can we get at least 5 more people interested in this swap - the flies are not
due in until next year!! All you need tie is a pattern with turkey in it to participate.
I'd really hate to cancel this swap!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kim

BTW - Registration closes on Monday, December 4th and the flies will be due in by January 10th.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'll add for anyone considering, Kim does a great job with the swaps. The last two, there was some fun little extra goodies included. Not saying that's gonna happen every time, but aside from getting some pretty awesome ties, there's the allure of a possible bonus tid bit.