Tuna 2022, let the games begin!

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I only make one overhand turn with heavy material and when going under 30lbs I make two turns if that helps.

Bagman

Steelhead
Somehow I managed to be the only one to hook fish and lose them (2). Weird day, but still fun as hell!

Got bellies drying right now before going into the smoker.

I definitely need another (thinner) filet knife plus more skill on that side of things.
I have had a few come unpinned and Im still trying to figure out how a fish can hit a fly that hard and not have the hook come out the other side of his head. 🤔

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Okay @Nick Clayton said the August addition of Northwest sportsman mag had a article on fly fishing for albacore. Can anyone tell me where I can buy it?

You shouldn't have to look far to find a copy. I found the July edition in the magazine section at Safeway. The July tuna article is about Mark Coleman who operates the charter Nick works for. There is a blurb on pg. 134 with a mugshot of Nick holding a fly caught tuna. And a quote "Later this summer Northwest Sportsman will feature albacore on the fly with Captain Clayton." No pressure, but I would assume this will come out after a few of our fly trips have been out.

Bagman

Steelhead
You shouldn't have to look far to find a copy. I found the July edition in the magazine section at Safeway. The July tuna article is about Mark Coleman who operates the charter Nick works for. There is a blurb on pg. 134 with a mugshot of Nick holding a fly caught tuna. And a quote "Later this summer Northwest Sportsman will feature albacore on the fly with Captain Clayton." No pressure, but I would assume this will come out after a few of our fly trips have been out.
I saw a pic of the cover of the August mag and it did have a few words about the fly fisherman catching tuna on the fly. I did ck SW but didn’t see it. Guess I will just need to wait bit longer

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I saw a pic of the cover of the August mag and it did have a few words about the fly fisherman catching tuna on the fly. I did ck SW but didn’t see it. Guess I will just need to wait bit longer
I assumed the copy I bought was the current issue. I'll have to check another magazine rack.

Grandpa Jim

Steelhead
I subscribe to Northwest Sportsman. Received the August copy 2 days ago. "Fly Fishing On Steroids" article is on page 47 with a crazy pic. Great article!
I've seen Northwest Sportsman for sale at local Safeway.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I subscribe to Northwest Sportsman. Received the August copy 2 days ago. "Fly Fishing On Steroids" article is on page 47 with a crazy pic. Great article!
I've seen Northwest Sportsman for sale at local Safeway.
That's the perfect title!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use the standard gamakatzu octopus hook. On the trailer material I use fire line that I double up so the hook tracks strait and if I remember right it is 50lb. Recently we were trolling for coho and the water was colored and the normal sparser stuff was not getting attention. So I put one of these on and we started hooking up with coho. I also noticed something new which definitely caught my attention was the spawn fly head causes a nice fluttering action on the troll. At the right speed it looked like it might be putting out some vibration which could explain why it’s seems to get more attention when next to other patterns. This is just an observation that might be worth looking into by anglers that get more time on the water.
Dennis, I haven't used Fire Line. Is it stiffer than standard braid? I ask because I've had similar issues with tuna coming unpinned as @Bagman and @clarkman have had. Saw it happen myself last week.

Bagman

Steelhead
Just to let you know I’m not using a stinger fly for tuna. Yet I can still loose fish guess it just take no how I’ve even done it with yellow fin tuna and skip jacks. Hell I even lost a albacore on a strip, so I can do it at least two different ways

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Dennis, I haven't used Fire Line. Is it stiffer than standard braid? I ask because I've had similar issues with tuna coming unpinned as @Bagman and @clarkman have had. Saw it happen myself last week.
mine was directly on the big game shank rather than via braid.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just to let you know I’m not using a stinger fly for tuna. Yet I can still loose fish guess it just take no how I’ve even done it with yellow fin tuna and skip jacks. Hell I even lost a albacore on a strip, so I can do it at least two different ways

So I'm reading that you're just set up for a statistical correction in a few weeks. ;)

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
mine was directly on the big game shank rather than via braid.
Hmm, wonder if that's the same "stiff shank" issue (;)) that I've had with the squid flies tied with tandem hooks on epoxied wire. I mean how the hell does a 30mph grab on dual 6/0 Siwash hooks not stick?

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Talked to some guys at the launch today that went out of La Push about 25 miles on Thursday and quit early because they limited in a few hours. They said they were in 61 degree water.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I went in my tying room and i use doubled 20lb fireline. And when said and done it ends up being 4 strands and to the hook. The hook tracks with the shank and doesn’t droop down when cast or trolled. I like the material better than wire as with coho they can mess the wire up. Here are some pics that I posted on the old site if this helps answer some other questions.6B638816-0470-49D6-BE92-BA1D701A9440.jpegEF2CC3D4-0188-44F9-9BD2-A7EADB294B5A.jpegD20BD9E0-51D0-4AA7-97E1-9622131736C0.jpeg1047351B-E209-4232-AD26-4B549E1BAC04.jpeg6B638816-0470-49D6-BE92-BA1D701A9440.jpegEF2CC3D4-0188-44F9-9BD2-A7EADB294B5A.jpegD20BD9E0-51D0-4AA7-97E1-9622131736C0.jpeg1047351B-E209-4232-AD26-4B549E1BAC04.jpeg997709B9-EDAC-4F8C-A8EF-63C60DA12085.jpeg21C9BD70-4D2F-443B-84FE-4671CC8F9F2B.jpeg69A618AF-8F3D-4701-B3DA-DC0BFF5BEEAD.jpeg39A6CCDE-558D-4918-903B-2E7EE857508C.jpeg3AE22DE4-E818-4659-BA55-3E5CF913504D.jpeg3329EA99-9B8C-4FE3-BAF5-7E1773B4FBC0.jpeg