Tuna 2022, let the games begin!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Releasing this fish would have accomplished absolutely nothing. This was, by all accounts, the ONLY one of the kind caught in WA waters. It was lost. It was the product of global warming. Who knows. One thing is for certain, releasing this fish would have had absolutely zero impact on their population. I didn't catch this fish but I would have killed it 100 times out of 100.

What exactly would this fish have breed with if released? There are virtually none of them here. What good do you think releasing this fish would have done? I would kill this fish tomorrow, and record books have absolutely nothing to do with it.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Now of course Guy will be trolling a Trey Combs pink popper next season get one.

Thought somebody was playing a joke on me when i read this on the salty dog forum. But apparently I have a kiwi name twin. How's this for pegging the irony meter...

Last edited:

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just curious if anyone got any propwash tuna this year? I didn't give it much of a shot, but suspect it would've worked on our last trip.

For that matter an overall season review/sumaary/observations might be worthwhile to jot down notes for next year.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Got some on clones on hand line and divers close to the boat on another gear/fly combo trip.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Yesterday I ran the last ARSC tuna trip of the season. Luckily I was on Integrity cause the ocean was sooooo not nice. But it was still a great day to end the season.

Being the only boat going can make it tough, but we found some great fishing nonetheless.

The water offshore is still incredible and there are definitely fish left to catch. For us we just ran so many trips that we basically ran out of customers to take fishing and while we could have booked a few more trips it was time to wrap it up. What an incredible season. Im pretty numb to it all at this point but no doubt with a little down time I'll be able to really decompress and reflect on just how incredible it was.

So many folks were claiming it would be a poor albacore season. Just goes to show that there is absolutely no way to predict those things. I've seen periods of stronger fishing than anything we had this season, but this was easily the most consistently good season I've experienced down here.

Again I want to say thanks to all of you who came out and fished with me this season. I learn so much with each fly trip. I feel that I am light-years ahead of where I started a few seasons ago. I love what I do, day in and day out, but our fly trips are just special to me on a whole other level. These trips aren't cheap, and of course there is never a guarantee in fishing, yet so many of you have been willing to come join me out there and it means so very much to me. I hope I was able to help make all of your trips memorable.

Had some truly memorable experiences out there this year. Off the top of my head I think Abigail's popper fish was the top of my list. Both the grab and her reaction to it were just incredible.

I'm more tired than I can ever remember being in my life. Got a few days left of cleanup work down here then headed home for a couple weeks of downtime with my wife. I'll never understand what I did to get so lucky to marry a woman who is so supportive of my passion. She's one in a billion that's for sure, and I'm looking forward to spending some quiet time at home with her.

Huge thank you to everyone! What a friggen season!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Yesterday I ran the last ARSC tuna trip of the season. Luckily I was on Integrity cause the ocean was sooooo not nice. But it was still a great day to end the season.

Being the only boat going can make it tough, but we found some great fishing nonetheless.

The water offshore is still incredible and there are definitely fish left to catch. For us we just ran so many trips that we basically ran out of customers to take fishing and while we could have booked a few more trips it was time to wrap it up. What an incredible season. Im pretty numb to it all at this point but no doubt with a little down time I'll be able to really decompress and reflect on just how incredible it was.

So many folks were claiming it would be a poor albacore season. Just goes to show that there is absolutely no way to predict those things. I've seen periods of stronger fishing than anything we had this season, but this was easily the most consistently good season I've experienced down here.

Again I want to say thanks to all of you who came out and fished with me this season. I learn so much with each fly trip. I feel that I am light-years ahead of where I started a few seasons ago. I love what I do, day in and day out, but our fly trips are just special to me on a whole other level. These trips aren't cheap, and of course there is never a guarantee in fishing, yet so many of you have been willing to come join me out there and it means so very much to me. I hope I was able to help make all of your trips memorable.

Had some truly memorable experiences out there this year. Off the top of my head I think Abigail's popper fish was the top of my list. Both the grab and her reaction to it were just incredible.

I'm more tired than I can ever remember being in my life. Got a few days left of cleanup work down here then headed home for a couple weeks of downtime with my wife. I'll never understand what I did to get so lucky to marry a woman who is so supportive of my passion. She's one in a billion that's for sure, and I'm looking forward to spending some quiet time at home with her.

Nick, the trip with you was a real treat. The fishing was good, I learned a ton myself, and got to see some incredible wildlife. It’s a gift that you’re out there every day.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Get some well-earned rest and enjoy time with your better half.

Looking forward to deconstructing albacore '22, and planning for the 2023 season. We've got 9 months to BS, tie flies, dink around with gear, and fantasize about exotics becoming less exotic.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Thanks to Guy(SilverFly) for being the driving force and ring leader, motivator! And to Captian Nick for the endless season updates and never letting up on his full throttle love for this fishery!
If you haven't fished with Nick yet, do it, the price is worth the entertainment alone!

Though I couldn't pull it off this year I hope to do it again next year. I would love to catch one of those exotics being encountered!

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter

I'm glad I started taking trips with you, I remember just a few years ago this was still some kind of fantasy.

That was a good day of fishing we had on my one trip this year, I love the awesome memories that were made amongst friends. Only a couple of months left until they open the book for next year :)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

I had a great season myself, but still very disappointed I still haven't gone out with you. Really bummed we scheduled on the first weather day in like a month, but such is life. We'll try again next year!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter

While much of my summer fishing was put in hold (including 2 potential trips with you), I really enjoyed hearing about all of the success out there. I can't freakin' wait until next year.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Thank you for several more great trips this summer. More memories of an amazing place. Albacore tuna on a fly rod, from a dream to routine, and your enthusiasm is a huge piece of that transition in attitudes...
I am in awe of your stamina to do this day after incredibly long day with such positive energy. Yes, rest, recharge, get reacquainted on the home front. Dreams and schemes of next summer will start soon enough.
Steve

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I am in awe of your stamina to do this day after incredibly long day with such positive energy.
This is the real reason why we got Nick into first grinding and now roasting his own bespoke coffee. We need him out on the tuna grounds. “Captain Clayton: Grinding Coffee and Grinding Tuna”

In all seriousness thanks to you too, Steve, for all your kindness as well as @SilverFly, and @Nick Clayton for y’all’s roles in fomenting stoke.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
This is the real reason why we got Nick into first grinding and now roasting his own bespoke coffee. We need him out on the tuna grounds. “Captain Clayton: Grinding Coffee and Grinding Tuna”

In all seriousness thanks to you too, Steve, for all your kindness as well as @SilverFly, and @Nick Clayton for y’all’s roles in fomenting stoke.

I'll be working on perfecting my Albacore Blend for enjoyment on next year's trips

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dreaming about next year.

Fishable numbers of BFT are now at the doorstep of the PNW. Big tuna in Central and Northern CA were a thing this year.

Check out this real life "Santiago" scene from Santa Cruz a few days ago. 280# Bluefin and 19' Arima.

1666287375967.png

Last edited: