True story

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Couple weeks back-
Fishing a "no internal combustion motors" lake locally. A dude that was probably late 20s has a nice Lund or something with a big-ass 60 or 75 on it. Literally starts cranking over the motor when everyone at the launch says you can't do that. He's like "oh, my bad." He had a nice bow mount electric motor so he goes out anyway.
A nice forum member that shall remain nameless (you know who are ;) ) politely tells the guy that he could get a ticket even though the motor isn't in the water.

The dude goes on to essentially admit that he thought that internal combustion meant like "in the boat". Like 'internal" to the boat or some damn thought. Like an inboard.... So since his was an outboard..... dude, really? :oops:

Do people in their 20s not know what internal combustion means??? Is this the dumbing down of America?

Fished the same lake yesterday and a family had a nice 14' aluminum with a 15hp outboard on the boat, but not in the water. I was about to say something and I thought...shit maybe he thinks it's not an internal combustion engine. :ROFLMAO: So I kept my mouth shut.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I guess an outboard motor, rail dragster and swamp boat motors would be external combustion engines then? Good to know. Always wondered if "no internal combustion motors allowed" meant you couldn't even have one on board and not use it..

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I guess an outboard motor, rail dragster and swamp boat motors would be external combustion engines then? Good to know. Always wondered if "no internal combustion motors allowed" meant you couldn't even have one on board and not use it..
I think some reservoirs ban shipped motors. I know Montpelier, VT does. No petrochemicals near the water supply.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Couple weeks back-
Fishing a "no internal combustion motors" lake locally. A dude that was probably late 20s has a nice Lund or something with a big-ass 60 or 75 on it. Literally starts cranking over the motor when everyone at the launch says you can't do that. He's like "oh, my bad." He had a nice bow mount electric motor so he goes out anyway.
A nice forum member that shall remain nameless (you know who are ;) ) politely tells the guy that he could get a ticket even though the motor isn't in the water.

The dude goes on to essentially admit that he thought that internal combustion meant like "in the boat". Like 'internal" to the boat or some damn thought. Like an inboard.... So since his was an outboard..... dude, really? :oops:

Do people in their 20s not know what internal combustion means??? Is this the dumbing down of America?

Fished the same lake yesterday and a family had a nice 14' aluminum with a 15hp outboard on the boat, but not in the water. I was about to say something and I thought...shit maybe he thinks it's not an internal combustion engine. :ROFLMAO: So I kept my mouth shut.
We were setting up for the triathlon one year, and Dan's buddy who was in charge of the swim course setup brought his big boat with outboard. The ranger came by to check things out and almost shut the whole thing down. Same explanation "I thought...............".

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
From the 2023 regs.
Internal Combustion Motors Prohibited Fishing
from a floating device with an internal combustion
motor attached is not allowed regardless of
whether the motor is in the water or not.

Also:
Motors Prohibited Fishing from a floating device
with a motor attached is not allowed regardless of

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Years back Lone lake you could water ski…..but you couldn’t fish if you had a gas motor on your boat?? Crazy assed rules, but nobody said the game dept was smart. Not sure what the regs are now. In several gas motor prohibited lakes I see clowns backing their big salt water boats down the launch to run/rinse their motors??

Last edited:

CRO

Steelhead
There are even lakes in WA that have Horse power restrictions. It is ok to have a motor that exceeds the limit on a craft as long as it isnt used.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
King County actually has a very good website for this. Here's a couple snips-
1713735807153.png

1713735846121.png

And this also matches the sign at the launch. There are some dumb exceptions out there for sure, but for 95% of the waters...no motors means no motors. It's not just to limit your speed. They don't want your gas on the lake.

Oh and btw, for all the 20 somethings...an internal combustion engine uses gas. :cool:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I think I have the parts to whip up a steam engine for my drifter. Be right back...

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Update on the family with the nice 14' aluminum and 15hp outboard. They ended up right next to me at Lake Desire last week, still with the outboard on the boat. Out of the water, but on the boat. I told him he could get a ticket for it. He's like "Really? Even with it out of the water?" I said "Yep, they don't want any gas on the lake. Google internal combustion Lake Desire and go to the King County link that pops up." I'm literally telling people how to Google. Haha!

He does just that and says "We're going home. I don't want a ticket." He was very friendly and actually appreciated that I said something. I told him another nearby lake was fishing better so he should just drop the motor off at home and hit it. Not sure if he did that. He complained about having to lift the motor off the boat so I told him he could use the motor at Meridian, Morton and Sawyer, but he seemed like he didn't even know where those were.
Hopefully I saved him a ticket. It got pretty good after he left. The karma bite? :LOL:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
From the 2023 regs.
Internal Combustion Motors Prohibited Fishing
from a floating device with an internal combustion
motor attached is not allowed regardless of

Also:
Motors Prohibited Fishing from a floating device
with a motor attached is not allowed regardless of

Count me in the dumb club. I figured you could have a motor onboard that was gas but not use it and be legal. I was not aware you couldn't have one on the boat at all. I don't own any power boats so not an issue for me but I see folks all the time with a gas motor and just not use it on lakes of this restriction.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Count me in the dumb club. I figured you could have a motor onboard that was gas but not use it and be legal. I was not aware you couldn't have one on the boat at all. I don't own any power boats so not an issue for me but I see folks all the time with a gas motor and just not use it on lakes of this restriction.
Yeah, I get that. Makes some sense as far as limiting speed and noise. The other part though is they just don't want gas on the lake. Would a WDFW officer actually ticket this nice family? Probably not. They would probably just educate since he had it out of the water. King County cop might give one though. Not sure if he had a gas can on board or not.

I know many officers don't like to bust the average Joe if they're not causing harm...and seem clueless.

Speaking of clueless...I think I told this story on the old site. Can't remember. I was clueless one time.

I went duck hunting on opening day one year on Lake Terrell in Whatcom county. It was my first time at Terrell. I had my trusty, but small 7' Livingston and this cheap 25 thrust motor I got off ebay. Had a great day with the mutt, got a few ducks and thought I should come back here next year and get a better blind. You have to hunt from blinds that are on select islands. So it's more organized and limits the sky-busting jackasses somewhat. Anyway...fast forward to the next opening day. Stacy has an upgrade! I have a 12' Starcraft with a 9.9 on the back.

I load up my 95 lb mutt, 30 lbs of decoys and launch in the dark at 4:30am since you can set dekes 2 hours before hunting hours start. We have a great day. I shoot our limit and the mutt retrieves every one of them. We cruise back to the ramp and there's an officer there.
He was very friendly and checks all my stuff. No lead shells, I shot the right ducks, I have the right licenses. He's like "Wow, you're literally the first guy that has everything legal and in order....except for one small detail."
I'm thinking did I get the shooting times wrong and shoot before it opened? He could see the wheels turning. He's like "Go look at the signs on both sides of the launch." I literally walk down the launch and see the signs...both sides "Entire Lake- No wake"

I'm like "Wow, I blew that one! I was cruising in pretty quick." He's laughs "Yeah, you were hauling ass!" He was totally laughing because he knew I was truly clueless. I went on to tell him that this was the first time I had ever had a gas motor at this lake and I launched at 4:30am in the dark and hadn't seen the signs. He was like "well, I believe you and I've had people shooting lead, shooting while stoned or drunk, or both, and one jackass that shot too many ducks. So I'm gonna be nice and let this one slide. Now you know."

Thank you sir! Yes, now I know! Haha!