NFR Trucks?

Non-fishing related

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Considering a low mileage late model truck or SUV, so have question for those with experience or knowledge.
Been reading about lifter failure in the Chevy/GMC 5.3 engines due to their cylinder deactivation, any have personal experience with it?
And regarding the reliability of the Ford 3.5 Ecoboost, which apparently have issues once they start piling on the miles?
opinions welcomed

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Sigh, I also need to start looking for a used truck to replace my old ranger.

Anyone who has a 2010-2018 or so 4wd crew cab F150 or similar they are thinking about upgrading, let me know.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Clearcoat is peeling on my old Tacoma but it just keeps on running.

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
One word:
Toyota
Based on what? Not to say there's anything particularly wrong with them, but they aren't the powerhouse they were 20+yrs ago.

But... trucks probably more than any other product have major brand loyalty all around. Truth is, they have all made mostly good vehicles with a few bad ones in the mix. Hard to go wrong with any of them nowadays. Toyota just ended up being the bottom of my list after a lot of experience and research.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Check out the forums for each brand of truck; they’ll give you a good idea of common problems/major issues. Chevrolet and GMC just stopped sales of all 2024 trucks due to roofs leaking at seams. Their transmissions have had issues since 2008. I wouldn’t want any turbocharged vehicle past warranty.
One reason I bought a Tundra:

jeradjames

Steelhead
We decided to get a new truck. After many considerations and looking around, we looked at what we're replacing: the 1999 Toyota Tacoma. It didn't take long to decide on a new 2023 Toyota Tacoma. They just last; their track record proves it.
Did you sell your 1999? Still have my 2002 Tacoma and a 1998 4runner and can't muster up the courage to get rid of them although it would be nice to have the modern safety features and a bit more get up.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Did you sell your 1999?
Not yet. I got it detailed first, and in that process the heater/defroster fan went gunnysack. So I got that fixed, and then the holidays didn't seem like the best time to place an ad. Now we have mixed feelings about selling the '99 because it looks like new. We will though because the driveway looks like a car lot.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We decided to get a new truck. After many considerations and looking around, we looked at what we're replacing: the 1999 Toyota Tacoma. It didn't take long to decide on a new 2023 Toyota Tacoma. They just last; their track record proves it.
Exactly what I did a couple years back. I know some pundits diss the brakes, or creature comforts, or whatever, but when I had the funds in hand I didn’t have far to look. My father’s Toyota and my brother’s Toyota, and my previous Tacoma ran and ran for many years. This one will too. I specifically wanted the Tacoma size with the crew cab and 74” bed with a canopy, partly to spend the night in. With light camping gear, fishing gear, a light golf bag and dog, I could comfortably go on any length trip.
Believer.

In a somewhat similar boat. Have an early second gen Tacoma with over 300,000 miles on it now. Looking to get a newer rig with safety enhancements and hang on to the Tacoma as well. Quickly found out that limiting yourself to only naturally aspirated engines these days is going to severely restrict your options. Given the state of the mid-size market (price, MPG, capability), I'm leaning towards a full-size now. I've been a Toyota fanboy for a long time, but have wandering eyes and am starting to look outside those walls. Have my eyes on a 2021 or newer F-150 Supercab with either the 2.7 or 3.5 Ecoboost.

The 3.5 Ecoboost is on its second generation after 2017. The earlier versions were somewhat predisposed to carbon buildup on the valves due to being direct injected (a common issue with all direct injection engines, not just Ecoboosts). In the second generation 2017+ Ford revised them to be port and direct injection which has resolved most of that issue. I haven't heard of any major systematic issues with the Ecoboost beyond that. As always, I operate on the belief that maintenance, and to a lesser degree, dumba** luck play a huge role in the longevity of a powertrain. The Ecoboosts have been around the block a few times and are so prevalent that a fundamental issue would have been widely known by now I would think.

I'm curious to know where you've seen reports of issues on high mileage Ecoboosts? Maybe I've missed something in my reasearch. A lot of the complaints I've seen on the newer F-150 Ecoboost platform are usually technology/infotainment related annoyances and then a handful of recalls for oddball things like wiper motors, electronic parking brake wiring, etc.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
In a somewhat similar boat. Have an early second gen Tacoma with over 300,000 miles on it now. Looking to get a newer rig with safety enhancements and hang on to the Tacoma as well. Quickly found out that limiting yourself to only naturally aspirated engines these days is going to severely restrict your options. Given the state of the mid-size market (price, MPG, capability), I'm leaning towards a full-size now. I've been a Toyota fanboy for a long time, but have wandering eyes and am starting to look outside those walls. Have my eyes on a 2021 or newer F-150 Supercab with either the 2.7 or 3.5 Ecoboost.

The 3.5 Ecoboost is on its second generation after 2017. The earlier versions were somewhat predisposed to carbon buildup on the valves due to being direct injected (a common issue with all direct injection engines, not just Ecoboosts). In the second generation 2017+ Ford revised them to be port and direct injection which has resolved most of that issue. I haven't heard of any major systematic issues with the Ecoboost beyond that. As always, I operate on the belief that maintenance, and to a lesser degree, dumba** luck play a huge role in the longevity of a powertrain. The Ecoboosts have been around the block a few times and are so prevalent that a fundamental issue would have been widely known by now I would think.

I'm curious to know where you've seen reports of issues on high mileage Ecoboosts? Maybe I've missed something in my reasearch. A lot of the complaints I've seen on the newer F-150 Ecoboost platform are usually technology/infotainment related annoyances and then a handful of recalls for oddball things like wiper motors, electronic parking brake wiring, etc.
101k miles on a 2016 3.5 ecoboost. So far no issues. No towing and doing oil changes every 5 or 6k at the dealer. We haven't done the 60k(maybe its 90k? I dunno) "maintenance" yet as we don't have the funds.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I ended up in a similar place to @sleestak. I did my research and was conflicted between an F-150 and a Toyota (Tundra or Tacoma). I finally went with the F-150 with the 2.7L eco boost. If there were Rangers available, I would have considered one of those as well. The F-150's have better freeway mpg than the Toyotas and the vehicles in general have been updated more recently. I probably wasted more energy and time on a win-win situation. Either option would have fit my needs. One intriguing ad-in in the F-150 that I purchased was a 120V plug in the bed of the truck, potentially convenient for camping. And the dealer threw in free Line-X bed liner. Plus, we qualified for a 2.9% loan from Ford. FYI, in Washington, it is illegal to charge a pre-payment penalty on a loan.
The downside was that the dealer had NO interest (only offered $500, but they would have just wholesaled it anyway) in our potential trade-in, a 1997 manual 4Runner with 217,000 miles. So, I'll be selling that privately.
Steve

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I chose a Tundra after driving my friends 2006 in Alaska. Despite having 200K miles on it there were no rattles or noise driving the 4 miles of washboard gravel road from his house to paved roads, it had no oil leaks and, according to him, used no oil between 5K mile oil change intervals.
Contrast to my 80K mile 04 GMC with defective heads (5.3) that have microscopic pores in the castings which, when warm, expand and allow water into combustion chambers and oil, slowly eating bearings. GM is aware of the issue and refuses to acknowledge as by the time it shows the vehicle is out of warranty. Also rattled from new on rough roads.
All trucks have issues, Toyotas just have less and seem to be built for longevity, at least to me. Read the forums, very few mechanical issues compared to the big 3.

RCF

Life of the Party
So far everyone is discussing trucks. @SurfnFish also included SUV as an option. He would need to look at how often a truck is really necessary for his activities. If I had to do it all over again I would go the SUV route. Short-beds are just that ---> come up short IMHO. Except for getting some loose material e.g. bark or trip to dump, a SUV would be more than satisfactory to suit my needs. Having more room for people and equal amount to haul stuff makes sense. Just some food for thought...

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Real world mpg for the 3.5l f-150 has been 16 mpg. No where near their advertising. I have tried various shenanigans including driving like a grandma and it always ends up around 16.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I chose a Tundra after driving my friends 2006 in Alaska. Despite having 200K miles on it there were no rattles or noise driving the 4 miles of washboard gravel road from his house to paved roads, it had no oil leaks and, according to him, used no oil between 5K mile oil change intervals.
Contrast to my 80K mile 04 GMC with defective heads (5.3) that have microscopic pores in the castings which, when warm, expand and allow water into combustion chambers and oil, slowly eating bearings. GM is aware of the issue and refuses to acknowledge as by the time it shows the vehicle is out of warranty. Also rattled from new on rough roads.
All trucks have issues, Toyotas just have less and seem to be built for longevity, at least to me. Read the forums, very few mechanical issues compared to the big 3.
What you're talking about is mostly that era and prior. Get in to the newer gens, like 2010+, they're on a lot more equal footing overall, and may even be an edge on GM / Ford. RAM seems to be too all over the place for me.

Again, Toyotas are fine, but the others have caught up to the reputation they built in the 90s and 00s.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
So far everyone is discussing trucks. @SurfnFish also included SUV as an option. He would need to look at how often a truck is really necessary for his activities. If I had to do it all over again I would go the SUV route. Short-beds are just that ---> come up short IMHO. Except for getting some loose material e.g. bark or trip to dump, a SUV would be more than satisfactory to suit my needs. Having more room for people and equal amount to haul stuff makes sense. Just some food for thought...
SUV with a trailer for occasional use would of been much more useful for us but we panic bought at a time when there wasn't much for choices and we needed a bigger safer vehicle for the baby.

Reactions: RCF

cchinook45

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Considering a low mileage late model truck or SUV, so have question for those with experience or knowledge.
Been reading about lifter failure in the Chevy/GMC 5.3 engines due to their cylinder deactivation, any have personal experience with it?
And regarding the reliability of the Ford 3.5 Ecoboost, which apparently have issues once they start piling on the miles?
opinions welcomed
Nissan Frontier