Tru oil finish

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I have a question about how many coats of tru oil is recommended and are there any preferences. I have built a couple Spey rods and have been happy with the finish just not sure if I’m applying enough coats.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I keep going until I’m bored, maybe 5 or 6, each polished with coffee filter paper.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I usually go to about 10-12 coats myself. I'm not sure if it is more durable or not but I think if you look at the sheen and are happy after 6 or so coats you should be good. I also add a coat of carnauba wax after I am happy with the finished rod.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I use 7 coats wiped on with a piece of paper towel, then after the wraps cure two coats of Birchwood Casey’s gun stock wax as per Tom Bowden taught me. I prefer the satin look over varnish.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I wouldn't go for less than 10 - 12 coats . At that amount you'll get a durable matte or satin sheen. Given that you can put on 2 or 3 coats per day it's really no big deal in terms of time and effort.
If on the other hand you want a full gloss Its a bit more fiddly and time consuming but it can be done.

Kado

Steelhead
10 to 12 coats. I'll put as many as 14 to 20 coats on my saltwater rods. Not really sure if it makes any difference in durability. I do wonder if it affects the 'action' of the taper a little as more coats are added. As you gather the sections together after a few coats have dried, they definitely have that nice 'clack' of a hard surface. I've never thought to apply a layer of wax afterwards but definitely will from now on. Geez....always learning....

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Thanks for the comments I will shoot for 10 and see the rod looks awesome with 8 coats. Now time to mortise the cork and start the handle. Tight lines

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Wondering about Tung Oil ? Does anyone use it or is it not recommended.

Tung oil has it's proponents in the rod making community. It is used as a base or sealer coat under top coats of varnish. It's just no match for varnish as a durable top coat. Tru Oil is a wiping varnish.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I have not had to do that just apply a thin coat with a soft cloth material and let it sit for about 3 hrs. I buff it with the finest steel wool and clean and apply another coat and when your happy with the coats let the rod sit for a few days before wrapping guides.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Not sure I would use it on glass but there are people on this thread that have more experience than me.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Can I use it instead of spar varnish to refinish a fiberglass Fenwick rod?

U-40 Permagloss is what we used back in the shop in the day on fiberglass rods we rebuilt, you wipe on several coats to get the finish you want.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have no idea what you should use but it is definitely not varnish. Tru Oil is a varnish