Trout Fishing in Merwin-Yale-Swift reservoirs ???

Westfly Refugee

Steelhead
Looking for some low elevation options until we can access the high country lakes.
This series of reservoirs on the Lewis River are popular with the kokanee trollers, and for folks chasing muskies in Merwin, but what about trout?
At the lower end of Merwin, on the north side there's several small bays with tribs flowing in that might have some shallows.
Anybody put their pontoons in and kick around these reservoirs for trout?

Westfly Refugee

Steelhead
On Central Oregon's East Lk, toward the end of the season i heard it was frustrating 'cause they couldnt keep kokanee off their small nymphs.
Being so early and the water cold, maybe the Merwin kokes aren't too deep....I'm just fishing for a wiggle ... definitely would not mind bringing home some kokes.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
On Central Oregon's East Lk, toward the end of the season i heard it was frustrating 'cause they couldnt keep kokanee off their small nymphs.
Being so early and the water cold, maybe the Merwin kokes aren't too deep....I'm just fishing for a wiggle ... definitely would not mind bringing home some kokes.
I have no clue on that fishery...Someone does because that's the vast majority of the fisherfolk out there.

For more legit trout fishing opportunities out that way, you may want to head further up to the top res. Many of those upper Lewis fish will drop down and feed in the lake.

Paul_

Life of the Party
Swift is more known for trout than the other two reservoirs, but it doesn’t open for a few months.
I fish Merwin a lot for Kokanee (not fly fishing) and do not catch many trout.

If you want good to great trout fishing this time of year head a few more miles north on I-5. Then take the Castle Rock exit and drive 43 miles east until you hit a big lake below a volcano.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Speaking of Merwin, about 40 years ago I drove up to the park at the low end to fish for kokes but it was cold and windy and folks were hiding behind tarps and sitting by warming fires. So I left and drove up to another park and found it empty except one guy. It was before fly fishing. The one guy had only one arm, the left side just being a short stub that ended before the elbow. He would cast with his right hand and stick the pole under his left stub and start reeling. He was catching fish with nearly every cast. With a lure that looked like a white and red tuning fork. I asked to join him and he was a friendly guy so I started casting my bait ( I confess, a worm) and in nine casts I had my limit of 8 nice kokanee. I drove up to Jack's store which had since burnt down and bought a bag of ice and put them on top of my catch in the cooler. Drove back and caught 8 more. It was my last illegal act but it worked by filling up my smoker, They didn't go to waste. But if I wanted to target trout then Swift would be the best bet. The post by Paul is better yet.