Trailer problem

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
3 year old Karavan trailer. Noticed this the other day while it was sitting in my driveway.
20240410_074030.jpg

This is a shot of one of the risers and mounting brackets for the bunks. All 4 are bent towards the stern of the trailer, and skewed like this. Anyone seen this before?

CRO

Steelhead
It kinda looks like the large nut has backed off allowing the that L bracket to tilt.. Maybe the bolts werent tightened all the way when built.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It kinda looks like the large nut has backed off allowing the that L bracket to tilt.. Maybe the bolts werent tightened all the way when built.
That's a great observation. I've been wondering how this could have happened. I think that nut is supposed to allow some rotation of the bunks, Maybe I need to replace with a ny-lock or a larger bolt and double nut assembly.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
your bolts loosened up so the brackets got leveraged from the rearward boat weight on the bunks as the boat was launched and retireved...each year when preparing my boat for winter, I invariably find some loose bolts on the trailer from being driven on our mountain roads..

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
your bolts loosened up so the brackets got leveraged from the rearward boat weight on the bunks as the boat was launched and retireved...each year when preparing my boat for winter, I invariably find some loose bolts on the trailer from being driven on our mountain roads..
I agree but wonder if the boat was trailered a time or two without the bow being snug in the trailer's bow cradle?

OP - I agree, that 90 degree bent flat bar should rotate some with the bunks as they follow the hull when floating or trailering your boat. I wonder if a nylon washer between the flat bar and it's support piece would allow you to tighten the connection and still have rotation? Good luck.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Good info here. I also have a tendency to throttle off the bunks at times rather than get out and back the truck up further. I wouldn't think an outboard motor would have that kind of torque, but it is a 60hp. If that connection allowed the bunks to slide back and stress those connectors?

I plan to gingerly trailer the rig to a nearby lake, tie off to the dock and work on the trailer in the lot. I'll need to move the bunks an inch or so to get away from the worn out existing screw holes and will go with a ny-lock nut or longer bolt with double nut. With any luck I'll have time to chase a few planters around the lake. It'll be a good spring shake down cruise.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
With the lag bolts being pulled from the bunks and the riser appearing to be bent toward the stern you may want to do a re-set of the bunks. The area of the lag bolts is compromised and will likely cause you a major assache at the worst possible time. Not sure the size of the vessel but based on 60 hp I’m assuming 16-18’ I doubt it was a launch or load issue. I’d buy a new bolt & riser kit from Karavan based on the “all four are like this” description and reset the bunks at least 8” from original location based upon the damage at the “below water level area.” I say this based upon my experience launching loading and delivering boats for some pretty high end manufacturers/dealers.
Good luck going forward. Cheap money vs an alternative issue.
DSC_0741.jpegIMG_2241.jpeg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
changing position of bunk boards can change how they support the hull, whereas replacing bunk boards is inexpensive. Douglas fir works fine, and topping it with poly skid plates instead of carpet makes launching and retrieving much easier.