Tire chemicals and coho

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

NCL

Just Hatched
Just heard a news story this morning that a tribe has filed a law suit over this issue. It was also reported the tire companies are looking into alternative preservatives. The story also stated this chemical has been in use for over 6 decades and is used in multiple rubber products

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Mandated composition changes would be an exceptionally heavy lift considering over 75% of the tires used in the US are made offshore, most in China, and the industry already spends heavily lobbying Congress and federal agencies fighting against chemical restrictions.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I did have one question regarding this.
This chemical seems to really affect coho. Does it also affect other species such as chums?
Thanks for any input folks can provide.
SF

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
This chemical seems to really affect coho. Does it also affect other species such as chums?
SF
They seem to be more resistant/less vulnerable.

Chucker

Steelhead
SF

There’s a ton of info on this out there. As I recall, it affects coho the most, then chinook and sockeye, then chum and pinks.

Given the toxicity of this chemical, a ban is really the only reasonable solution. The tire industry has alternatives that they can use. But even if it was brought in now, the effects would still be there for decades.

VMP

Steelhead
SF
See below for the EPA notice, which states: "A ubiquitous tire rubber-derived chemical induces acute morality in coho salmon (Tian, et.al. 2021) that concluded mass pre-spawn mortality of coho salmon is linked to 6PPD-quinone found in stormwater runoff, and Urban roadway runoff is lethal to juvenile coho, steelhead, and chinook salmonids, but not congeneric sockeye (French et. al. 2022)"

Also link to the publication refered in the petition (French et al. 2022), that concludes in part : "On the basis of these initial findings, the Salmonidae appear to sort into roughly three categories of vulnerability to 6PPD-q acute toxicity: high (coho salmon and brook trout), low (chum and sockeye salmon, Arctic char), and intermediate (steelhead/rainbow trout, Chinook salmon)." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9476652/

And some graphical info from the French et al. (2022) paper below.
1699291333604.png

1699291362778.png

As others have said, there is quite a bit of information available on this online. A ban and transition to alternatives could take a while if if happens at all, in the meantime there are mitigation options (such as runoff control, stormwater management, etc) that should be considered and hopefully implemented.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
See below for the EPA notice, which states: "A ubiquitous tire rubber-derived chemical induces acute morality in coho salmon (Tian, et.al. 2021) that concluded mass pre-spawn mortality of coho salmon is linked to 6PPD-quinone found in stormwater runoff, and Urban roadway runoff is lethal to juvenile coho, steelhead, and chinook salmonids, but not congeneric sockeye (French et. al. 2022)"

Also link to the publication refered in the petition (French et al. 2022), that concludes in part : "On the basis of these initial findings, the Salmonidae appear to sort into roughly three categories of vulnerability to 6PPD-q acute toxicity: high (coho salmon and brook trout), low (chum and sockeye salmon, Arctic char), and intermediate (steelhead/rainbow trout, Chinook salmon)." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9476652/

And some graphical info from the French et al. (2022) paper below.
View attachment 89270

View attachment 89271

As others have said, there is quite a bit of information available on this online. A ban and transition to alternatives could take a while if if happens at all, in the meantime there are mitigation options (such as runoff control, stormwater management, etc) that should be considered and hopefully implemented.

Here is some additional work they are doing in my area after a large construction job to combat flooding. I hope this helps the water quality of the creek.

Some past work.

IMG_5371.jpegIMG_5372.jpegIMG_5373.jpeg
SF

Zak

Legend
There’s a ton of info on this out there. As I recall, it affects coho the most, then chinook and sockeye, then chum and pinks.

Given the toxicity of this chemical, a ban is really the only reasonable solution. The tire industry has alternatives that they can use. But even if it was brought in now, the effects would still be there for decades.
Better treatment/infiltration of stormwater runoff from roads would help, too.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
1 billion end-of-life tires are generated every year. Not a small problem...
View attachment 89298

If I remember correctly, they were using ground up old tires as road surfaces at one time. Like mixing it in with asphalt or something?
SF

Chucker

Steelhead
If I remember correctly, they were using ground up old tires as road surfaces at one time. Like mixing it in with asphalt or something?
SF

“Crumb rubber” is what they call ground up tires. It has been used in all sorts of inappropriate things, because it’s abundant, cheap, and can’t be recycled into new tires. The place I have seen it the most is as a filler in astroturf playing fields. The kids call the crumbs “teleporting killer nubbies”, because they stick to everything and get everywhere!

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Here is some additional work they are doing in my area after a large construction job to combat flooding. I hope this helps the water quality of the creek.

Some past work.

View attachment 89274View attachment 89275View attachment 89276
SF
That looks really good, how did it do Saturday November 4, 10 Am till 11 Am the rain we had a few miles south was nuts!

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
That looks really good, how did it do Saturday November 4, 10 Am till 11 Am the rain we had a few miles south was nuts!

No idea Boot, but I bet it did better than my front flower bed which a good portion of it washed way……
That was some heavy ass rain. The local chums liked it though, as it allowed them to make it over the beaver dams.
SF

Tallguy

Steelhead
Seems pretty obvious that something like tires should definitely be made from only non toxic chemicals. But basic common sense never really seems to overcome doing whatever is most profitable, and making sure you do some toxicology tests on your chemicals is certainly not profitable at all.