Tips to dry out wading boots

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter
I have some older Patagonia boots that take forever to dry. It’s not a huge deal but I’d like to avoid mildew and or other smelly shit from propagating in there.

Does anyone have any tips besides putting them in front of a fan? Or to not worry about it?

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
That's pretty handy. When I got my first redwing loggers for work, the guy at Saager's put a peet dryer on the counter and said you want this too, along with a new tin of mink oil, and showed me how to care for them. That Peet's is now probably under a nickel a month pro rated. Probably saved even more by prolonging the life of the boots over 40 years (got that april '92?). Didn't really have the extra $ then, but glad I did it.
The Peet does work well. I saved a little (to a lot depending on prices listed) of $, and the forced air dries even the leather upper Chotas in around 4 hours.

I took the 10 year old *Chotas* to Ardessons Shoe Repair (y)(y)
to have some stitching redone and they gave me a sample tin of Obenauf's LP to use on them. I also use it on my old school Alico full grain, Norwegian welt hiking boots

1645117320096.png

Last edited:
I like and use Peet's as well but for leather hiking boots that I don't want to dry out so quickly, I use these ("The Ronning"), which work pretty good,
albeit slow.

Attachments

• 20220302_101648.jpg
    20220302_101648.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 2

Tobe Hagge

Just Hatched
I use a peet dryer for boots but for other equipment (neoprene gloves and hood), I throw them in an electric food dehydrator set to 95F, which is the same temperature as air coming out of the peet dryer. If you happen to have a food dehydrator and are willing to throw your boots in it, I bet it would work.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
The Peet does work well. I saved a little (to a lot depending on prices listed) of $, and the forced air dries even the leather upper Chotas in around 4 hours.

I took the 10 year old Chacos to Ardessons Shoe Repair (y)(y)
to have some stitching redone and they gave me a sample tin of Obenauf's LP to use on them. I also use it on my old school Alico full grain, Norwegian welt hiking boots

View attachment 5681

That Obenauf's is good stuff!

Chucker

Steelhead
I saw a Peet dryer at a friend's place, then used one at a cabin I've stayed at and it works pretty well.

I looked around and the prices seemed a little to ridiculously high for a simple passive convection boot dryer.

I found a site like this one but only needed-wanted a 2 boot manifold.

So I sketched this out. I found the 2-speed dual temp hair dryer at the Goodwill for under $5 and the total for parts was under $30.
View attachment 5652

View attachment 5653

View attachment 5654
I used a rubber T so it would have some flexibility for the size of the hair dryer nozzle.
I didn’t glue the T to the boot tubes so I can take it apart to stow in plastic wash basin I use for my boots when traveling - we've been staying at a cabin @ Hood Canal for a few days.
I used masking tape to block the heat switch so I can't move it to the high heat position. The temp at the top of the tubes is 80° F.
After rinsing it takes ~4 hours to dry these *Chota* boots, less for my Korkers.
I would be worried using a hairdryer continuously on for 4 hours. Hopefully the safety shutoff would kill it before it melted down though. I think I might put a timer in the loop and cycle it on and off.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Make sure to be careful if using any high heat source to dry your boots or putting them to close to a heater or fireplace as it could cause the glue to break down and the boots to start falling apart. Unfortunately that happened to a pair of mine in the past.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Used Peets for years...gentle yet effective. Fast drying is rough on footwear.

Peets aren't cheap but they're very durable, and made in Idaho.

Last edited: