Tips for curing bird skins - preserving for fly tying?

Westfly Refugee

Steelhead
The last few waterfowl seasons I've been collecting a lot of CDC and other feathers for various fly tiers.

This season, I plan to also preserve whole skins for myself. The online how-to instructions that I've found just use two applications of Borax.
After thoroughly removing all the fat of course. I'm wondering about using something that really cures the skin so it looks like the skin on the commercially sold necks and saddles. Maybe sulfite such as that used in egg cures? Anyone have any proven technique they can share?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I have had this urge, but talked myself into trimming off what feathers you want and into a ziplock bag. A lot less hassle. Other then that, don't have any tips for skinning.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Borax leaves a nice dry skin. Waterfowl are hard because they have a lot of fat, which you reslly need to scrape. One boraxed for a few months, ziplock bag and into the freezer it goes for a few months. Works for me.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I just use a 50/50ish mixture of Borax and salt.

My end product looks nothing like a commercial skin but I’m okay with that.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I did a pheasant this last year, scraped the skin clean, stapled it outstretched on a board and covered in 5050 borax/salt for several months. The skin is dry and no shriveling or smell, but it's not hard like you'll find in a store.