Tippet spool management

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So we have all been there, tippet coming loose from the spool and forming a small birds nest in a pocket, in the boat bag, or on the bottom of the pram.

So I hope someone has found, tested and endorses the best product, or created a solution to this malady:

• Maxima shark tooth...which size?

• Scrunchy? with needle and line through it?

• samsfx tippet holder?

• Fishing tippet ring elastic fabric spool ring with wire loop

• Hareline tippet spool hands
Or?

Ron

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've had good luck with the shark tooth on regular size seagur fluoro spool. Don't remember which tooth size I picked up though.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What Sculpin Swinger has done is nice. Ive DIY those and they work great. What I dont like about them is the eventual stretch of the rubber, rendering them about useless. Instead of making them anymore, I just use dollar tree scrunchies. If you do this, make sure you get the scruchies that are all one continuous piece, with no band or clip in them. Those bands or clips, can grab onto the line and burn/melt/fray and/or cut the nylon. The scrunchies seem to last about 3 times longer then the tippet spool tenders, probably due to the more robust rubber used.

The scrunchies I shoot for are the wider ones, that have like folded ridges. This style encases the whole spool width. Once on the spool, I pull a tag end out and through one side. I am sorry I am not a techie or I'd post a pictue. The scrunchies I use are about 3/8 inch in width. They are not the narrow ones. They are labeld, Active, "Elastics", "No Snag", "All Day Comfort and come in a 5 pack.

Forgot to mention.....available at Dollar Tree.

Northerns Post below are very close to the ones I find at Dollar Tree.

Have fun.

Bob

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I just use an appropriate size rubber band for the spool width. I sometimes poke a hole in the wide ones I use on spools like Maxima.
They eventually tear, but are cheap and easy to replace.
SF

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Woven scunchies work well and last a long time. (idea courtesy of "Mumbles," a missing but missed member.)

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Having raised two daughters with truly voluminous hair, I have experience with every hair scrunchy known to man!
This kind - ponytail sized, terry-covered ones - work the best as tippet tenders.
They fill the whole spool width, but are soft enough to not damage light tippet. No need to poke holes or anything, just let the tippet tag stick out from under one side.
You might be able to find them in a drugstore, but $7 on Amzn gets you a lifetime supply for you and your buddies...

https://a.co/d/bBaLK6U

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I just keep the ones from the Rio tippet spools.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Having raised two daughters with truly voluminous hair, I have experience with every hair scrunchy known to man!
This kind - ponytail sized, terry-covered ones - work the best as tippet tenders.
They fill the whole spool width, but are soft enough to not damage light tippet. No need to poke holes or anything, just let the tippet tag stick out from under one side.
You might be able to find them in a drugstore, but $7 on Amzn gets you a lifetime supply for you and your buddies...

I wish they would make them smaller for spools of wire on the bench…

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter

I don't buy tippet spools. Will these fit over the larger line refill spools?
Thought I better ask before I buy a hundred of them.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I don't buy tippet spools. Will these fit over the larger line refill spools?
Thought I better ask before I buy a hundred of them.
Not sure how big a spool you mean - might not be ideal for wider spools.
You could get together with @Brute for a package of these - they're a buck apiece and should also work on those pesky wire spools!
1000006520.jpg

Beadalon 25-Piece Spool Tamer Set https://a.co/d/1YgeKl7

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter

just made my order...once received will mail lots of a dozen to those requesting.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I wish they would make them smaller for spools of wire on the bench…
I get it that tippet spools sometimes leave a lot to be desired regarding "management", for me especially Maxima (rubber bands for me) but Ultrawire spools come with a removeable "cap" (for lack a the proper term) that I've found to be good at keeping the wire in place. When tying and I need wire, I remove the cap, cut off a length of wire and run the spool's tag through the caps teeth and put the cap back on while keeping a bit of tension on the wire. Works for me.

IMG_3728.jpg