Tingling fingers/hand when flycasting

Silvercreek

Freshly Spawned
I am 53, and never have had this...

I bought a new 4 weight and went to lawn cast it, after about 10 minutes I got tingling/numb fingers and hand on casting arm. I have had this in the past when painting with a brush for long periods of time but never when fishing? Carpal tunnel?

Does anyone else have this condition and if so what do you do? Brace?
Thanks
Griswald

I bet the cork grip on the new fly rod is a different diameter/size than your usual rod. I suspect you will find that it is smaller, forcing you into a tighter grip.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Pain, I wake in pain everyday. I have learned to live with it. My legs ache, my knees are shot. My back is fucked. And to top it all off I take nothing for it. If I'm feeling pain, it means I'm still alive. That's a good feeling.
Go find a Bed, Bath, and Beyond and find one of those massage machines for your back that you can put on your easy chair. Make sure it does heat, because that makes all the difference in the world.

I got mine several years ago, because I was suffering from a crazy bad back pain episode. Had to lean into the pain to work the shit out, but I was good by the end of a week. Hella cheaper than seeing a therapist in the long run.

Your legs? Super Feet arch supports work wonder. Even any kind of foot massage device can work wonders, even those ribbed spindle roller things.

I’ve had to work through all kinds of back, leg, knee, foot, hands, wrists, fingers, etc issues throughout my blue-collar career—all since I turned 24. I’m 61 now. Plenty enough injuries between. I think I have a good idea about what I’ve found to work, with and without surgery. And I’ll still learning.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
@OMJ
For your knees, have you looked at the newer generation knee braces? They are leaps and bounds past what WalMart or Walgreens sells. And, hey, at your advancing age, there's no shame in using them, either.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
@OMJ
For your knees, have you looked at the newer generation knee braces? They are leaps and bounds past what WalMart or Walgreens sells. And, hey, at your advancing age, there's no shame in using them, either.
I was told by a doctor not to use them things. You rely on them and every thing goes to hell. I did ask about them though. My right knee has no cartledge in my knee. My left knee has about 70% left. But it's been picked on lately. Got movement there. Ever since I went down in the tub, If I move wrong or bend it to tight it pops out of place. I then have to sit down and stretch out my left leg and relax. That helps it go back in. When it's out of place I can't walk on it. To much pain.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I get ya.
Have you been offered a knee replacement? Not trying to get personal, i just know that its often an option for those in your situation.