Tierra del Fuego, Chile adventure

I am brand new to this site and I hope you enjoy this post. I am so fortunate that I get to explore and fly fish new places around the world. But even more that I get to share these experiences with others who are as passionate as myself. I am always looking to find the next great place that hasn't yet been discovered. This is becoming more and more difficult with the population growth and the power of the internet. My criteria this time was long days because I lived in Alaska and loved the summers, great potential of untouched water, and no people! I decided on the southern most tip of Chile where new roads have just begun opening up new areas to fish. If you have read my previous post you will see that I have spent quite a bit of time in South America, but never this far south.
In short, the people, culture, fishing and discovering new places is what I live for. This will have been my 15 trip to South America and perhaps my best. I flew into Punta Arenas and connected with a local operator who customized my trip. I had access to private estancias, beaver ponds, hidden laguna, public rivers and explored new places that have rarely been fished. In the first 10 days I saw no other people and the fishing although could be challenging was amazing in terms of location, size and quality of the experience.
I caught rainbows, native browns, sea run browns, and king salmon. Some places we boated too, some we drove while other we walked for miles. The weather was cool and breezy the first several days, but mild and calm as the trip progressed and we could fish until 11:00pm! I compare this experience to fishing Montana 100 years ago! In fact, I am planning on going next year and invite my fellow PNW to join me. There are three key take-aways if you want to have an incredible experience. Be positive and flexible, be competent with a single handed rod a plus if you can spey, and be open to adventures. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_6610.jpeg
    IMG_6610.jpeg
    676.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6400.jpeg
    IMG_6400.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6300.jpeg
    IMG_6300.jpeg
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6760.jpeg
    IMG_6760.jpeg
    639.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6705.jpeg
    IMG_6705.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_6646.jpeg
    IMG_6646.jpeg
    618.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_6600.jpeg
    IMG_6600.jpeg
    568.4 KB · Views: 132
  • PHOTO-2023-12-11-11-12-50.jpeg
    PHOTO-2023-12-11-11-12-50.jpeg
    519.9 KB · Views: 127
  • PHOTO-2023-12-11-11-12-53.jpeg
    PHOTO-2023-12-11-11-12-53.jpeg
    625.1 KB · Views: 126
  • PHOTO-2023-12-11-11-12-50.jpeg
    PHOTO-2023-12-11-11-12-50.jpeg
    963.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 5f63cc8c-de2d-41b6-a08b-6894a3e7d781.jpeg
    5f63cc8c-de2d-41b6-a08b-6894a3e7d781.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_6511.jpeg
    IMG_6511.jpeg
    624.9 KB · Views: 155

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Some of you may remember Muknuk from the WFF site; had some great TRs there. I just had a lengthy conversation with him and am excited to be considering a trip using his advice and contacts. He’s very generous and the real deal, we’re lucky to have him here.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ah, @muknuk , the memories. Remember your posts from the old site. Lots of good memories.
Two of us would fly to Santiago in the 80&90s spend a week with a friend there then drive to Orsorno and fish the rivers from Rio Gol Gol south to Coyhaique area. Wonderful people, food, fishing, did I say food? Would love to go back and spend two more weeks at the Puyehue Lodge, at the base of said Volcano. Sundays feast and the hot springs were to die for. Remember hauling the boats up the river and drifting back down and hoping for good weather when we hit the boca as we had to row to the military outpost and be delivered back to the lodge by a soldier in a US made M151a o/d vehicle. This is what Ruta 215 looked like in the Andes coming from Junin de Los Andes Argentina to Puyehue in ‘86, I think. It’s paved now and the cattle aren’t free range any more I believe. Road was slippery as snot when wet. Thanks!
IMG_1910.jpeg

SSPey

loco alto!
I spent a lot of time in the 90s doing field research in Chile, all way down to TDF. The photos of Torres del Paine recall a night when the wind was so strong that it ripped our tent to literal shreds. Sure makes fly casting fun.

It’s incredible how well salmonids have colonized, everywhere. From thin blue lines in the mountains to remote estuaries nowhere near roads, they all held familiar fish. I ate what I could. The streams aren’t nearly as productive as Montana (very nutrient poor systems), but there’s quality fishing available given the low pressure and generally friendly access

Last edited:

muknuk

Smolt
Ah, @muknuk , the memories. Remember your posts from the old site. Lots of good memories.
Two of us would fly to Santiago in the 80&90s spend a week with a friend there then drive to Orsorno and fish the rivers from Rio Gol Gol south to Coyhaique area. Wonderful people, food, fishing, did I say food? Would love to go back and spend two more weeks at the Puyehue Lodge, at the base of said Volcano. Sundays feast and the hot springs were to die for. Remember hauling the boats up the river and drifting back down and hoping for good weather when we hit the boca as we had to row to the military outpost and be delivered back to the lodge by a soldier in a US made M151a o/d vehicle. This is what Ruta 215 looked like in the Andes coming from Junin de Los Andes Argentina to Puyehue in ‘86, I think. It’s paved now and the cattle aren’t free range any more I believe. Road was slippery as snot when wet. Thanks!
View attachment 96856
Legendary time to be visiting Chile! My first visit was only in 2000 to Argentina before the economic collapse.