Thoughts on Costa Rica?

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
If it is a family trip, I am a +1 on the suggestion above from another member - consider Guanacaste.

Again, if in family mode Papagayo peninsula area might be worth a look. If you want to splurge you can post up at the Four Seasons. Somewhat less expensive there is a Hyatt Andaz located just up the bay from the marina….and the fishing near the marina can be really good if you just want to nab a kayak and work around there. Both hotels will have lots of options to hire a boat if you want to fish near/offshore as well. Both have their own private beaches on property you can also fish from (or just walk over to and hop on a boat). Both have good food options, lots of ways to do side trips, etc. etc. Renting a house in that area is also an option if that is your preferred way to travel.

Papagayo peninsula not my favorite option when I am going solo, with a focus on surfing all day every day with a side of surfing (have to nab a boat or take fairly long drive to get to surf), but for “family mode,” or for folks who don’t surf it is worth looking into.

Wherever you go, have fun and respect the locals. Pura vida!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Why people got to be so fixated and worried about snakes?

Me, I’d count myself lucky to encounter any of the snakes.
Fer de lance is no joke…back in the ‘90’s I did a multi day camp raft trip on the Pacuare river we made sure to toss our sleeping backs and check inside our shoes before getting in them…

gpt

Smolt
our local guide had a big stick made out of i don't know what, but as we walked he would tap that stick to make some sounds. never saw a snake or the special frogs he kept looking for. i have not seen or heard any snakes since the times when we would fish too late on the free flowing snake r. below Wawi. staying down there after the sun goes over the rim was never a good idea as the rattlers would come up onto the RR tracks for some warmth. all of that is of course under water now.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah the fer- de -lance, or barba amarilla as it is called in other parts of central america are bad ass and not to be fu*ked with, they would rather kill you than slither away.
I did not think I could still move that fast...
😲

Totally rad sports car name or rocket bike.

Not that aggressive, but super stealthy and fast striking, fairly common, and while not the most lethal venom, the smaller ones are more dangerous due to higher venom concentrations.
They got some big ass fangs...

Irritable and fast-moving it is also regarded as being more excitable and unpredictable.

They are called the ultimate pit viper for a reason.

For the above reasons. You know the agile quickness and venom part.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Fish a lot. No snakes on the boat.
We went up to Tikal in Guatemala, did a tour in the evening to watch the sunset from the pyramids. On the way back about six of us walking with a guide with headlights, he pulls up short. Stops us and shows us a little snake, probably 14-16" long, I'm sure if he hadn't stopped us one of us would have stepped on it. It looked like forest litter, blended in real well. He told us the little ones can't control their venom, jus shoot their whole load into you.
Coming from the PNW I don't have snakes on my radar very well. I guess I feel lucky to live here because of that.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well just head off into some heavy brush and rustle around a bit, you know, make a bit of a ruckus in the bush and tromp around where you cant see your foot in front of you.
You can find them easily that way.
:)
Why would I do that? I’d love to see snakes on my trip, I think snakes are amazing, but I don’t feel that I need to risk my life to do it.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Selvatura Paque in Monteverde has a herpatarium and guided walks where you can see lots of wildlife, and is very family friendly I hear.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Selvatura Paque in Monteverde has a herpatarium and guided walks where you can see lots of wildlife, and is very family friendly I hear.

Herpatarium…is that where one gets herpes?

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Get yer herp on....
;)

My fer de lance story involves taking a dump at the edge of the jungle, next to the Kurinwas river in Nicaragua...
No details needed, as the setting pretty much sets up the punchline.

I still had moves...
🤣 🤣