Thoughts on Costa Rica?

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My family is planning a trip for next Summer. Summer is our option between July and August.

I of course want to fish, but I don’t 100% need to fly fish. If you know me, I’m not a fish snob, I just live catching fish.

I’m open to ideas as to where to stay, what to fish for, what to experience beyond fishing, etc…

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
My family is planning a trip for next Summer. Summer is our option between July and August.

I of course want to fish, but I don’t 100% need to fly fish. If you know me, I’m not a fish snob, I just live catching fish.

I’m open to ideas as to where to stay, what to fish for, what to experience beyond fishing, etc…
Talk to @Scott Salzer

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I have been to Costa Rica 5-6 times. I’m heading back next March as well. We really love it there. I’ve never fished though, surprisingly. It’s all about wildlife photography when we go. I’ll fish some one of these trips.

If you want some info on cool spots for wildlife, let me know. We generally rent a car an move around to different National Parks and reserves. I don’t have any secrets, just cool spots that have paid off for us.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
My kid went to school down there for while and I fell in love with it while visiting her. Ever since,we go down for a week or two every year.

The country is ecologically very diverse. We go mainly for the beach and surfing so spend most of our time in Guanacaste in the NW which is drier.

The time you are going is the rainy season so plan accordingly. If you are going to be on the coasts, plan for wet jungle conditions. The dry season alings more with our winter which is why we tend to go in February - also smaller, low key surf for a broken old longboarder.

gpt

Smolt
stayed at crocodile bay lodge. a well run operation. 3 days of off shore for pacific sails, hooked and billed 7 on flies, the crew was awesome and knew their business. 2 days of inshore and wife landed a very large rooster fish. hooked and was cut off by a Wahoo of about 100#s, i have never seen line come off a reel that fast, just amazing experience. eco tour entering the national park up a dried up river bed, that was exciting. macaws, howler monkeys, leaf cutter ants, and on and on. our drivers mom was village healer so every now and then he would pull over and harvest what she had asked him to look for. a great schooling of traditional remedies. got to eat ants and fresh coconuts. we only stayed on the Pacific side so i don't know anything about the East side of the country. a great place to visit, fish or just hang out.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Yeah the fer- de -lance, or barba amarilla as it is called in other parts of central america are bad ass and not to be fu*ked with, they would rather kill you than slither away.
I did not think I could still move that fast...
😲

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Not that aggressive, but super stealthy and fast striking, fairly common, and while not the most lethal venom, the smaller ones are more dangerous due to higher venom concentrations.
They got some big ass fangs...

Irritable and fast-moving it is also regarded as being more excitable and unpredictable.

They are called the ultimate pit viper for a reason.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Why people got to be so fixated and worried about snakes?

Me, I’d count myself lucky to encounter any of the snakes.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Well just head off into some heavy brush and rustle around a bit, you know, make a bit of a ruckus in the bush and tromp around where you cant see your foot in front of you.
You can find them easily that way.
:)