Things you know now that you wish you did back then

cedarslug

Steelhead
You, yes you! You're probably a competent angler now! Those years of whacking through brush, losing your flies to casting knots, and falling in the river made you the angler you are now today.

But what about back then? Back when you first started out fly fishing. You were probably some pathetic try hard that failed and failed over again, until you tried something new and found success. Or maybe you were the kid in the back of the class that was too shy to ask questions, and always left in behind. Well here's your chance to help out those novices, beginners, and n00bz. More importantly, this is your opportunity to admit something that you wish you had known back then.

I'll start...

Wading Safety

We're lucky to have numerous freestone streams and rivers in the PNW. We're also fortunate to have access to coastal water and beaches. That being said, rocks can be slippery here, and sneaker waves can quietly take you out. Take out those dang earbuds, and be aware of your surroundings. Wade cautiously through water, bring a wading staff, and take smaller steps. Polarized glasses will help you see bottom. And if you can't see bottom, assume each step is going end well. Careful of bigger rocks that may look tempting for your foot to land, but are often times have the smoothest of surfaces. Make sure your waders are cinched up correctly, so when you do fall, you are keeping excess water from pouring into your waders. Lastly, don't cast and move at the same time! Stay planted and cast - you're neither that coordinated nor athletic.

TL;DR

• Bring polarized glasses
• Use wading staff
• Watch out for slippery stuff
• Smaller steps
• Cinch and secure up those waders
• No casting and moving

Styskal

Smolt
If it's your true passion, your religion, and what keeps you connected don't miss an opportunity to go fishing. It's just one day less in your life you will fish. They can add up fast.

Fish with what you can afford and make it work to the best of your ability. Never fall for the next greatest line or rod to help mask your ability as a caster or fishermen. It won't. Always take time to notice the important things. Birds, otters,sea lions, the water ouzel,eagles. You will feel more connected if you do this and you will become more keen of your surroundings. Never be in a hurry to get to the place you want to fish. Get there early and take your time or get there late and relax. Either way enjoy your time on the water.

Chris Bellows

Steelhead
Not specific to fly fishing since mistakes while learning are what make learning exciting but I sure wish I had gotten my shit together with health and fitness when I was learning. The ability to spend more time on the water fishing with less breaks and being able to cover more ground on your feet will increase your learning curve more than anything. An extra hour a day of fishing (or more) adds up to a ton of fishing time, especially if your fishing days are limited due to work or family.

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
When I first started fishing I messed around tying and fishing a lot of flies that just weren't very productive for me. I still like messing around with new patterns and carry lots of different flies but have maybe 6 or 8 favorite patterns that I have learned get the job done most of the time.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
When I first started fishing I messed around tying and fishing a lot of flies that just weren't very productive for me. I still like messing around with new patterns and carry lots of different flies but have maybe 6 or 8 favorite patterns that I have learned get the job done most of the time.
Absolutely! In olden times presentation was almost completely dwarfed by pattern (matching the hatch).

I remember, as a kid, agonizing over getting those damn classic Coachman wings 'just right', and getting very discouraged how rapidly they got torn up by trout and simply being fished. Then I discovered that the trout didn't give shit about those perfectly symmetrical white duck quill wings.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not specific to fly fishing since mistakes while learning are what make learning exciting but I sure wish I had gotten my shit together with health and fitness when I was learning. The ability to spend more time on the water fishing with less breaks and being able to cover more ground on your feet will increase your learning curve more than anything. An extra hour a day of fishing (or more) adds up to a ton of fishing time, especially if your fishing days are limited due to work or family.

There's also the just going. Being relentless. I used to drive two hours to fish an hour after a reasonably long hike in then back out after work. On paper it didn't add up. However, you tell me where I can hook half a dozen steelhead in that hour of fishing within the state. It was a magic two weeks and I paid in sweat and lack of sleep. I was rewarded handsomely. I guess the moral is when it's good get it. It might not be good again like that for a while so fish, and fish often when you can. You have to be driven to get the experiences on the water that make you learn and be better at it. You have to want it.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
There’s more to life than fishing. Still learning that lesson myself as a guy in his 40’s with no kids and minimal responsibilities beyond work. I have to remind myself sometimes that hanging out doing “nothing” with my wife on a Sunday might seem like a waste of a good day on the water but it’s not. My guess is someday as it’s all about to end, I’ll regret not having more of those “nothing” days more than I’ll regret missing out on an average day on the water.

If you don’t feel that way, time to find a divorce lawyer. Or marry a partner that fishes :).

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Don’t chase reports
Point the bow at the obstacle and row away.
I'm so glad I was told "point or look at what you don't want to hit" by a old drift boat guy before I ever rowed a boat.

I would add this for floating...if you haven't seen the part of the river that you want to float, haven't asked the local shop about it or haven't at least checked it out on Google maps...don't float it! Start with boring, slow water and work your way up.

For fishing I would just say fish hard, but keep it fun. Beginners will all go through the struggle phase, then the finally catching fish phase and eventually into the numbers & size phase. This is the phase that takes the longest to "overcome". We all love numbers right? It's tough driving 4 or 5 hours, camping and fishing 2 or 3 days and only catching a few fish...if you make it about the numbers. I'm glad my numbers phase was when I was young. I still fish as hard or harder than anyone I know, but I also take time to enjoy dippers, ducks, otters, other people, buddies, boats, a new line or whatever. It's not a busted trip if you catch 1 or 2 "he's about 10 inches I think". It will make the days or trips when you do slay them even more fun.

And yet at almost 71 I still am having a hard time leaving my work completely. This amazes me, but I will find out this summer what retiring is all about. I have a 10 year old grandson who is counting on me.
Seems like a trip to RMNP to fish the Big Thompson should be in your future with him! Did it last year with 8yo granddaughter and she did great!

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Seems like a trip to RMNP to fish the Big Thompson should be in your future with him! Did it last year with 8yo granddaughter and she did great!
Interesting you mention RMNP, because we have great friends from Rochester, NY who have retired in Ft. Collins and every time we visit we drive up along the Big Thompson and on to the Park. Might be on the horizon with our grandson.

I wish I had been told at the beginning that for the first few years of this sport “fly fishing” is actually code for “you don’t catch many fish”. It does get better though! And it’s almost always beautiful scenery.