NFR They weren’t kidding auto insurance

Non-fishing related

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Time to renew auto insurance…. Watch out!

Last year for the year of 2023 it was $2690.00 for 3 autos. 2020 outback, 16’ pilot and a 06’ civic.

No tickets or accidents.

Pemco went to a 6 month policy. (We use to pay lump sum for the year and save a few bucks. For 6 months and same cars it was $2593.00. 😳. Huh? This can’t be right.

So our annual went from $2690.00 to $5186.00.

Been trying to get hold of my insurance agent for 8 days now but can’t. 🤔
Called Pemco directly. Yep. Told due to the number of auto thefts, increase in car parts and labor, and mostly due to the number of uninsured drivers out there that have gotten into accidents Pemco had to raise their rates. I told the gal there’s gonna be a lot more uninsured drivers now. She laughed. What to do?

I then went back and of course I never read an email from Pemco back from late February about their need to raise their rates 40%. 😮….. the state approved yada yada ….. 40% my ) )

Time to sell a couple reels and rods. Eliminate a trip. (Jk)

Last edited:

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Still pays to shop around every couple years. I just renewed through Progressive a couple weeks back for $600 per 6 months. 3 cars, 2017 Nissan, 2017 Mazda, 2005 Saab. I also have my homeowners and boat insurance through Progressive.

Before Progressive I had Esurance, and before Esurance I had State Farm. The switch from State Farm to Esurance at the time saved me over $1000 a year.

RCF

Life of the Party
Our insurance went up 25.1%. 4 vehicles ( '23 Crosstrek, '17 Rav4, '09 Honda and '06 Ridgeline) and 4 drivers, two of which are under 30 years old. Full coverage at max amounts of coverage due to PUP insurance requirements. We pay a little bit less than your family does. We bundle everything together...

You may want to look into going through an insurance broker that has access to companies the public does not have access to or know about...

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Still pays to shop around every couple years. I just renewed through Progressive a couple weeks back for $600 per 6 months. 3 cars, 2017 Nissan, 2017 Mazda, 2005 Saab. I also have my homeowners and boat insurance through Progressive.

Before Progressive I had Esurance, and before Esurance I had State Farm. The switch from State Farm to Esurance at the time saved me over $1000 a year.
I was with Allstate when I moved to Washington, for both renters and car insurance. Then, when my son got a beater car, we reupped with AAA for a family plan. It turns out that AAA has a partnership with Progressive, so we switched to Progressive and saved a bundle.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Over the past year I know of more than a handful who have been in an accident with an uninsured driver. How does an insurance company reclaim money from an uninsured driver who has little to no money?

Flymph

Steelhead
The Insurance mega-complex is one of the biggest corporate greed outfits on the planet. As mentioned earlier, shop around "every year" and ask for discounts they won't tell you about. During the pandemic they raked in billions while fewer were not driving and less accidents. They sent me a complimentary $17.60 - - WOW, could they afford it after banking an extra bundle of billions!

Shad

Life of the Party

Over the past year I know of more than a handful who have been in an accident with an uninsured driver. How does an insurance company reclaim money from an uninsured driver who has little to no money?
They don't, which is precisely why those who ARE insured have to pay more to stay that way.

Insurance companies are for-profit businesses. When they stop making more off premiums than they pay out in claims for more than a few months, they fail.

My sister lives in Florida, where they don't require drivers to carry any auto insurance. As a result, people who want insurance have to pay huge premiums to keep the insurers solvent. It also explains why at least 50% of the billboard ads you see while driving on busy Florida highways are for accident injury lawyers.

And yeah, there's a reason Gronk is trying so hard to get in with USAA. If you are serving or are the first generation offspring of someone who did, you should go with them. They aren't the cheapest, but they are close, and they have an outstanding record of paying claims in full versus other providers.

Divad

Whitefish
They don't, which is precisely why those who ARE insured have to pay more to stay that way.

Insurance companies are for-profit businesses. When they stop making more off premiums than they pay out in claims for more than a few months, they fail.

My sister lives in Florida, where they don't require drivers to carry any auto insurance. As a result, people who want insurance have to pay huge premiums to keep the insurers solvent. It also explains why at least 50% of the billboard ads you see while driving on busy Florida highways are for accident injury lawyers.

And yeah, there's a reason Gronk is trying so hard to get in with USAA. If you are serving or are the first generation offspring of someone who did, you should go with them. They aren't the cheapest, but they are close, and they have an outstanding record of paying claims in full versus other providers.
When I shopped around in the fall they were still the cheapest for me. USAA seems to reward safe drivers more maybe? I have never had an accident that was my fault and haven’t had a ticket in 8yrs. I’ve been told sometimes the smaller/local insurance companies do a good job matching them.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In the past I have shopped around for different carriers. Pemco has always been competitive, maybe not the cheapest but in ballpark range. I have not had to use them much but we were burgarlized 13-14 years ago, have had a couple not us fault accidents and a few chipped windows. I have never had a problem with them regarding a claim…. Easy peasy process. I have heard horror stories about some other insurance companies including All State. Getting dropped, long drawn out processings, or having to go to certain garages to have a car worked, cheapest parts available you pay difference for OEM parts, etc. So I’m willing to pay a bit more for less haggle…. If that makes sense… but not a couple grand more. 🤕

I’ll get this satisfied some how but it was more of a message of warning to others out there that the insurance spike is real. Have a soon to be 16 year old in a few months too. 🤔

But thanks for a couple of good avenues to check out.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Alluded to parts…
I had a neighbor tell it was because of Tesla’s replacement parts; particularly the cost of windshields.

RCF

Life of the Party

I just compared my 2023 - 2024 Uninsured Rates to 2024 - 2025 Uninsured Rates. They almost doubled!

In addition, almost 40% of the total car insurance increase was due to Uninsured Insurance coverage. People can blame labor wages, price of car parts and supply chain issues but Uninsured Rates have a bigger impact than I understood...

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

I've been with Progressive for 15yrs. I've shopped around every few years and still haven't found anything better. They haven't jacked my rates up at all.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
If you are a Costco member they offer insurance through Connect, American Family Insurance. I pay $2360/year for 3 vehicles in California. Excellent service and claims experience.
Good call, Robert. I switched from Farmers to Connect after Farmers jacked up our home owners/auto policies by 78.4%. We had no claims with Farmers, no tickets and I don't think my age drove up costs. The agent we worked with has since dropped Farmers. Dealing with Connect has been easy (no claims, just questions); they answer the phone.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
After serving 2 USAF enlistments I had a 38 year IT career; over 2/3 of it with a regional health insurance provider. A few years before I retired the company was rated highly by a consumer rating organization. Then the CEO told employees he wanted the company to reach USAA's Customer Service and Satisfaction level.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
for fellow vet's, USAA for cars and houses cannot be beat. All insurance is being driven up, however, by the cost in parts and labor.
Yep I’m a USAA fan. Homes and autos over the years have also been with USAA. Even there, unfortunately, policy costs for auto and home are going up pretty substantially. When I called to discuss (“ been with you for decades and outside of some windshield replacements not a single claim….why the premium increase?”) I appreciated their honesty. Basically they said that the premium increases are nationwide and driven by much higher repair costs, and generally high claims at a macro level.

I am choosing to blame it on bad drivers in Florida, crashing vehicles into hurricane floodwaters. Just feels right.