The unfishing report

A week ago Friday, Mrs. Salmo and I departed for Florida, bound initially for Key West, a place I'd never been before. The Alaska airlines flight was a major screw up. I'm reasonable and don't mind putting up with delays due to weather or mechanical issues. Those things happen. But when they have everyone board the airplane, finally leave the gate, then make a couple laps around the North terminal, finally announcing that we are returning to the gate because the pilots have "timed out," so a new pilot crew needs to replace them. They announced that the replacement crew is at the gate and waiting for us. Once we're at the gate, they announce that everyone needs to deplane because the replacement crew really hasn't even arrived at the airport yet. The upshot: we finally depart 3 1/2 hours later than originally scheduled. Food vouchers to airport vendors and free drinks once we reboard are a nice - and necessary - touch, but not complete mitigation IMO. But that's it for now.

Our plan was to fly into Ft. Meyers, spend the night, and take the ferry, or water taxi, down to Key West. I'm glad we did, but I wouldn't do that again. Shortly after leaving Marcos Island there's nothing to see but open ocean (Florida Bay) all around until we approach the Dry Tortugas and then Key West. Key West is a small town totally driven by tourism, and pretty damn expensive. I'm pretty sure the flavor has changed a lot since Jimmy Buffet began his guitar picking career there.

My impressions: the CHICKENS! The damn feral chickens are everywhere! Two on the porch when we arrived at our B&B. They hang around the breakfast tables waiting for visitors to drop food scraps. They wander around the dining areas of the open air restaurants (which is most of them), and they hop on chairs and even tables when they're not occupied by customers. And those table tops don't get washed off every time before the next customers are seated there. Now I don't hate chickens. They have their place, like in a chicken coop. Not where I live and eat! So where did all these chickens come from? The story goes that the Cuban immigrants were very fond of cock fighting and kept a lot of birds for that purpose. Around 1970 or shortly thereafter, Key West banned cock fighting. So instead of killing and eating the birds, the Cubans simply released their birds, in retaliation for the ban apparently. And now they are everywhere on the small island. And according to one tour guide, you may be fined up to $500 for killing one of these chickens, which I was glad to learn because my automatic reaction to chickens that annoy me is to wring their necks. (I have a history of raising chickens and working at a chicken ranch when I was in high school.)

The weather was warm, like 80 degrees, so it was tee shirt, shorts, and flip flops weather. Duval Street is great for people watching and it reminds me of Bourbon Street in New Orleans. So I noticed that the first 3 girls (females under 40 are girls to me) wearing cutoff jean were cut low enough, or was that high enough, that the bottoms of their butt cheeks were exposed. Three in a row! Was that a coincidence? Or is that a contemporary fashion statement that I wasn't up to speed on? Seems funny in hindsight considering that while we were having lunch at a beach side restaurant, the girls walking by in bikinis had 100% of their butt cheeks exposed. Drat! What can I say? Maybe I'm getting old, but when I was young, bikinis still left something to the imagination. Not so much now.

Lots of excellent restaurants and we ate a lot of local seafood. Conch ceviche, conch fritters, lobster mac n cheese, yellowtail snapper - which is the best fish species I tried, mahi mahi, and grouper. The best restaurants were in the $$$ group; I think we got a pizza one night (when we needed a reprieve from seafood) where the price was $$. And you find some of the best restaurants in unexpected places. Like Oceans 305 in an Islamorada RV park. Or Square Grouper in a boat yard. This was a high end restaurant with the parking lot surrounded by large storage racks of many dozens of boats, some of them pretty high end too, with those multiple large HP outboard engines. Ah, but we ate well.

This was supposed to be a fishing report, but as you can see from the thread title, it isn't. Oh, we had planned to fish and made arrangements with a guide out of Islamorada. It got a little breezy on Tuesday. The guide called and said the wind was forecast at 30 mph for Wednesday and Thursday, so all fishing trips were cancelled. There were still small craft warnings on Friday, although we saw some small boats wandering out of the canals in Cape Coral that day. So thanks to Hurricane Nicole I never strung up a rod on this trip. Even though Nicole mainly hit Florida north of Miami, there was enough wind down south to make boating and fishing impractical and impossible.

In Islamorada the closest we got to any fish was Robbie's Marina, where they feed tarpon and other fish that hang around the docks. We saw a few tarpon and nurse sharks north of 50 pounds cruising there. I glimpsed a couple of other fish zooming around there but wasn't able to identify them. It turns out that feeding the tarpon is sketchy (you can buy a bucket of bait fish for $4.50) because the damn pelicans that hang out on the dock will steal your bait fish. They are quite aggressive and will bite! I could learn to hate pelicans more than chickens lurking in restaurants. I was nearly tempted to string up a fly rod and try casting from the docks since the area was fairly well protected from the wind. But I think it's frowned upon if not prohibited. An interesting thing about the area and marinas in particular is the boats! There are thousands of boats. And not just a few flats skiffs powered by a single outboard motor. But scads of boats for heading out on the blue water, powered by two, three, and even four large outboards. It isn't the least bit uncommon to see boats with three or four 300 HP motors, and a few with four 400 HP outboards. I can't believe the number of boats we saw that would be priced as high as the value of my house. Simply amazing! There is a lot of money in south Florida.

We visited a friend and former co-worker in Cape Coral. There has been a lot of clean up since Hurricane Ian blew through, but the amount of damage is very extensive. My friend's boat got tipped with the bow down in the water on the boat lift, but was otherwise undamaged. He was extremely lucky. Across the canal was a boat sitting in someone's back yard that will need to be moved back into the water. Somehow. We saw boats that were listing, sunk, and even sitting in a median strip of an arterial street. At least that one is accessible to load on a trailer and move back wherever it's supposed to be. And it's troubling to see so many homes with roofs covered with blue tarps. FEMA puts numbers on some of the tarps, which we interpreted as a priority system for which ones the contractors should repair first and so on down the line. We saw how a lot of the newer homes are constructed with the yard built up a few feet where the house floor plan footprint is. Those are the ones that didn't get water inside. We met a guy at the airport whose house was not built those 3 or 4 feet higher. He got 2 feet of water in his house and 3 feet in the garage. So everything sitting on the floor was destroyed, along with the bottom 2 feet of the walls, baseboards, and moulding, sheetrock, and insulation, etc. A total mess, and he can't live in the house for who knows how long. It will be a year or two before a lot of the area is put back together. And some of it never will. Not everyone has flood and hurricane insurance. I think a lot of people were hit so hard economically that they just walked away from damaged and destroyed homes to start over somehow, as best they can.

I even took a few pictures. If I get them uploaded to my computer I might add some to this unfishing report. Of course there were no photos of fish this trip. Maybe another time.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Well it sounds like you at least caught a view :cool:

I sell in a tourist area all summer and I can say the trend the last few years has been the 'shorts' you described, well basically how much material can you cut off to make them into a denim thong. Also no bras, and pierced naughty bits with the tightest clothes possible. Not sure how the next generation is going to try to outdo these ladies, I guess we'll all be nude...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing your adventure, birthday trip without fishing. Next time, a term all anglers are familiar with

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Sorry you did not get to enjoy Charlie showing you the back country that makes the Keys a truly special place although it sounds like you got to see some of Key West's well known back country. Key West has long been known for scanty or in some cases non-existent attire.

Xoxo

Somehow this seemed funny to me @Salmo_g :

“Now I don't hate chickens.”

Sorry your trip wasn’t better. This does kind of remind me of why i hate traveling. And lord, anything touristy place that reminds me of Bourbon Street is a no-go for me. (In New Orleans, i much prefer Frenchman Street which we discovered about four years ago in April, which is about the best time to go there, weather wise!

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Used to fish tournaments out of the Keys with friends back in the late 80's and 90's. Key West was a lot of fun back then. Still a tourist trap but the crowds were way less. At this point, I'd just prefer to hit the various islands in the Bahamas. We used to make the quick run out of Miami over to Bimini to fish and dive for lobsters. Fished mainly in the islands beyond but the fishing is/was good around Bimini as well. Now that I'm fly fishing, that area is a renwed interest for me.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hope you grabbed a cold one at the Green Parrot!

It's amazing how much that place changes when the cruise ships come in. Kind of quaint when they ain't...

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hope you grabbed a cold one at the Green Parrot!

It's amazing how much that place changes when the cruise ships come in. Kind of quaint when they ain't...
I meant to add that there was a different massive Carnival cruise ship moored at the dock each day. Considering how huge those ships are, I expected to see a lot more "cruise" people around town than I did.

Oh yeah, might have been a bit cheezy, but on the last day in Key West we decided to grab lunch in the original Margaritaville cafe. It's really not very big. And of course I ordered the "cheeseburger in paradise." It was really good. And a perfect margarita, just the essentials with no added sweeteners or flavorings, no salt and on the rocks. I dare say, it might have been the best margarita I ever drank.

I don't intend to visit Key West again, but I sure would like to return to Islamorada. I had no idea that there what appears to be hundreds of miles of mangrove flats in the vicinity, just begging to be fished. No wonder there is a large fishing fleet, the area is that big.

Last edited:

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
I enjoyed the drive to Key West from my parents' house. It liked driving over the bridges, especially 7 mile bridge. I spent a little bit of time on Big Pine Key and made stop at Bahia Honda. The latter memorable for walking past a topless female snorkeler on her way to rinse off at the outdoor showers at the park.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I enjoyed the drive to Key West from my parents' house. It liked driving over the bridges, especially 7 mile bridge. I spent a little bit of time on Big Pine Key and made stop at Bahia Honda. The latter memorable for walking past a topless female snorkeler on her way to rinse off at the outdoor showers at the park.

I agree, very enjoyable drive.
Those little Key Deer are fun to see on Big Pine.
SF

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Diego Garcia has a chicken problem like that. Problem is, they're considered property of The Crown. Kick, kill, or injure one, you're headed to jail at minimum.

Hem

Life of the Party
I have commented in past threads about my time in the Keys when I was a young man. A FF nut at a young age in New England, my mind wandered to more exciting opportunity, since back then the trout fishing was marginal in Western Massachusetts. Some of the fabled streams were pretty much above my skill set anyway.
I locked in on saltwater fly fishing as something I had to try. I was fascinated with beach fishing and catching bluefish while they were blitzing on the edge. Chopping teeth capable of removing fingers was glamorous. Never had the opportunity.
I also somehow locked in on flats fishing, in particular in the Keys. Jeez, it was hard enough to drive 100 miles to the Salt in Massachusetts, with little money or a reliable vehicle.
A year off in college to travel. Triangulation from Massachusetts to Alaska to Montana to the Keys and back for my final year at the original Zoo..Zooms. This in a car that the dealer indicated might last 95k miles. I hit the road with 95 or 96 k.
Anyway , made it to Florida in early February. I started off finding construction work in Key Largo, and tent camped for two months at a run down marina where the only in and out boat traffic was drug runners. The manager advised me to arm myself.
I had no clue about the fishing. Zero. But I was there to figure it out. Late March I started exploring further South, looking for better work and fishing opportunity.
This is when destiny intervened. I walked in to an architect/ General contractors office on Lower Matecumbe to ask about work. Just happened to be wearing a shirt that had a big dry fly on the front with the statement " I'm hooked on fly fishing".
The owner saw the shirt and started grilling me, asking my story. We became immediate friends after sharing stories of fishing specific pools on the Madison in the wade section.
He hired me, found me a house on the ocean to caretake, and took me on as a son that loved fishing as much as he and his wife. They lived on Sunset drive. Waterfront on one of the few clear sand beaches in the middle Keys. We could spot bones from the deck and it was here I caught my very first. Back then bones were generally larger, we averaged fish in the 8 lb class. It was heaven. Many trips in the back country, fishing for bones, redfish, shark, tarpon, snook,barracuda, and permit. Never caught a permit, though.
Off shore we would scour weed lines for dolphin and others. But I also spent alot of my free time sniffing the coastline solo for bones...having the flexibility to take advantage of the absolute best fishing tides and conditions. I connected with a 12lb bone at night under a full moon on the clear sand beach inches from the bank. Bunch of weed snarled in loose line at my feet when he ran..😬
Anyway, whats the point? Guess none, other than I felt like telling a story. The next few years I would return to wander around from shore. Caught fish, but nothing like when I briefly lived there. I have no idea what the quality of fishing is like there now. I know the fishery fell on hard times in the late nineties. But there is plenty of accessible water on foot for the adventurous. Make a point of wading the Sunset drive beach. If the water is turbulent fish for snook down by the Getty at the south end. Im sure the square groupers are long gone. Key West a good place to loosen up the collar and burn some brain cells.

Shad

Life of the Party
I took a trip to the Keys last spring (Spring Break, no less, which was surprisingly not all that insane). We stayed at a crazy expensive but very nice condo on the bay side of Marathon with a private boat slip, and we rented a 24-ft. Center console for the week to go fishing/snorkeling/etc.

I figured this should be a trip of a lifetime, with all those cool, different types of fishing out the back door, so I spent a bunch of time tying shrimp, Clousers, toads, crabs... everything that anyone on YouTube said had caught them a fish before. I set up my 8-wt. with a saltwater line and spent a bunch of money at the fly shop (probably a good thing; if I wasn't spending all that money, I think Bjorn would have banned me from his shop, as many times and ways as I bugged him before that trip LOL). I also packed a spinning outfit and bought a new, bigger reel for going after "the big ones," which I paired with a new, one-piece rod once I got to Florida.

It was a really nice week, all things considered, but the fishing was kind of a bust. We had booked a guide for our first day, to try to get a feel for what we could do with the boat we had and maybe learn a few "tricks", but like @Salmo_g , we got foiled by wind, and the guide had to cancel. When the weather was good, we drifted over pieces of structure we found on a local fishing map, and we did catch some fish, but it was mostly juvenile bonnetheads, smallish jacks and the like. It was cool to watch the variety of stuff that would show up in the chum slick, and we did catch a small cobia right behind the boat, which was cool. I
caught a nice snook off the dock behind the condo (on a live shrimp), and that was cool.

Folks who fish a lot down there will tell you that you need three different boats to do it all. You need that 30-foot, triple-powered offshore boat Salmo mentioned, plus a 24-26 foot center console for reef and other nearshore fishing, and a flats skiff for the backcountry mangrove stuff. We had the middle-of-the-road option; the center console. It was a very seaworthy boat, and it probably would have been serviceable offshore, but we never found out, because my brother-in-law is a notorious puker; he got sick while we were anchored up in 3-4 foot wind waves while snorkeling (which was very cool; lots of yellowtail and barracuda swimming around on the shallow reefs). That kept us mostly bay side, and that limited our fishing. We tried the tidal tarpon thing at the 7-mile Bridge one day, but it was pretty windy, and we didn't have a clue what we were doing.

We did Key West one day, mostly because we wanted to see the Hemingway house, and we had a fun day there, chickens, cats with odd numbers of toes, and all. I did notice that the fishing habitat around Key West looked amazing. Back country stuff everywhere, right off the island.

Boating/fishing the salt is not easy on the wallet. Fuel costs about $7/gallon, and even a "small" boat burns at least a gallon every 3 miles (most more than that). Everything about it is expensive; even blocks of chum. I bet the average sport boat that fishes the Gulf Stream spends close to what it costs to fish with a guide for a day. If I had the money, though, I'd be out there...a lot.

The fishing I enjoyed most was the shallow mangrove stuff. We couldn't do much of that in the boat we had; it couldn't go shallower than about 2 feet, but the navigation canals and cuts offered some opportunity. It's a blast casting to and watching stuff chase your fly out of the mangroves. All I managed to hook were mangrove snapper, but it was fun fishing. It's crazy how fast they wanted the fly moving. It took me a while to figure that out, but once I did, the action was fast and fun.

I want to go back and fish with guides for a day or three. Maybe one day in the backcountry, one day chasing tarpon/permit, and one day offshore....