The start of Topwater 2024😝

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Ventured out yesterday with slim hopes. It was colder then anticipated, windy and overcast. My ponds I found out were super low due to the fact they haven't even turned the irrigation water on yet! I had decided to bring an indicator rod, a slow sink and a popper rod (11wt @Josh😃). Because of the low water and weeds I quickly realized the popper was the only way to go. The first pond was pitiful so I headed to a point I caught them on last year:

1000009418-01.jpeg

Just about the time I was about to give up my popper seemed to swirl and then exploded in a blowup! On the board with a solid 17 incher!
1000009413-01.jpeg

1000009415-01.jpeg

I missed one or two more off the point and then it slowed down. At least some fish were active. I had to work my way through 100 yards of muck to get to the next pond. Usually I can kick and fish my way there.
1000009419-01.jpeg

The next pond was also very low and shallow. Where were the bass? I decide to dangle the transducer on the Garmin in the water for a temp check. I didn't leave it hooked up because it would have got caught in weeds and muck. New low temp for topwater!
1000009426-01.jpeg

About this time my popper which was just floating in the middle of the pond as I got a reading just got exploded on🥳

a66f2f32-71eb-47c7-b117-efcc469381dd-1_all_40892-01.jpeg

Ok now it's time to get serious. It was really interesting exploring these ponds with low water. The fish were generally out a ways from shore because next to shore was usually so shallow. My day really picked up steam:

1000009428-01.jpeg

I started crushing:
1000009431-01.jpeg

And crushing:
1000009436-01.jpeg

Only used one fly all day. Before:
1000008047-02.jpeg

And after:

1000009434-01.jpeg

Fish of the day was around 18 inches:

1000009433-01.jpeg

If you had told me 5 years ago I would be catching top water fish with 51 degree water temps I would have laughed at you. I probably ended with over 25 to hand. My theory is shallow mud pond bass will not say no to a meal over their head. I honestly wonder if I can can catch them on top after ice off...

Until next time:
a66f2f32-71eb-47c7-b117-efcc469381dd-1_all_40896-01.jpeg

Hell yeah! 🍻
Billy

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I was so stoked for you (and jealous) to see these photos coming in yesterday when you were out on the water. Very awesome.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Ventured out yesterday with slim hopes. It was colder then anticipated, windy and overcast. My ponds I found out were super low due to the fact they haven't even turned the irrigation water on yet! I had decided to bring an indicator rod, a slow sink and a popper rod (11wt @Josh😃). Because of the low water and weeds I quickly realized the popper was the only way to go. The first pond was pitiful so I headed to a point I caught them on last year:

View attachment 110070

Just about the time I was about to give up my popper seemed to swirl and then exploded in a blowup! On the board with a solid 17 incher!
View attachment 110068

View attachment 110069

I missed one or two more off the point and then it slowed down. At least some fish were active. I had to work my way through 100 yards of muck to get to the next pond. Usually I can kick and fish my way there.
View attachment 110071

The next pond was also very low and shallow. Where were the bass? I decide to dangle the transducer on the Garmin in the water for a temp check. I didn't leave it hooked up because it would have got caught in weeds and muck. New low temp for topwater!
View attachment 110073

About this time my popper which was just floating in the middle of the pond as I got a reading just got exploded on🥳

View attachment 110072

Ok now it's time to get serious. It was really interesting exploring these ponds with low water. The fish were generally out a ways from shore because next to shore was usually so shallow. My day really picked up steam:

View attachment 110074

I started crushing:
View attachment 110075

And crushing:
View attachment 110077

Only used one fly all day. Before:
View attachment 110082

And after:

View attachment 110078

Fish of the day was around 18 inches:

View attachment 110076

If you had told me 5 years ago I would be catching top water fish with 51 degree water temps I would have laughed at you. I probably ended with over 25 to hand. My theory is shallow mud pond bass will not say no to a meal over their head. I honestly wonder if I can can catch them on top after ice off...

Until next time:
View attachment 110079

Hell yeah! 🍻
Billy

Love the shit eating grin included with your reports. Shows the love you have for that fishery. Jealous, as well. I wish eastern WA was just a bit closer for me.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve never caught that many bass in one day back when I was fishing spinning gear and poppers in bass lakes on the east coast in my teens…

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
To the forum members looking at @Billy's post (and you're spot on @jasmillo about his grin), Billy phoned me yesterday on his way to pick up Liam; dude was rattling on a mile a minute! Talk about stoked!! Well done, sir!! Top water next year at ice off.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Son! Well do.
Percentage wise, what have you found as far as which hook is the most successful regarding hook-up ratio on your poppers, front or rear?
SF

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Son! Well do.
Percentage wise, what have you found as far as which hook is the most successful regarding hook-up ratio on your poppers, front or rear?
SF
Probably 5 to 10 percent tail hook. But I feel like it keeps them buttoned more having 2 hooks....

I should graph out front hook verses back or both hooks.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Well done sir!!!

Back in my gear fishing days I could usually get some top water LMB in late February (wet side of the mountains). The most consistent were shallow back waters and channels. I would think your ponds would fish at ice out. Might have to slow down some but would not be shocked if you find a fish or two to take the chill off on a winter day!

Looking forward to your report on those early season reports!

Curt

RCF

Life of the Party
I am not a warm water fisherman. I like trout fishing. Just where I am at. I have had warm water fishing people over to fish locally. They had a lot of fun catching bass and crappie---> good sized ones too.... While I am still a trout guy, I may need to expand my horizons. Either that or invite more warm water fisher people over. BTW catfish, very elusive, reside in the lake also. Decisions, decisions...

Islander

Life of the Party
I’ve never targeted bass with a fly rod (used to do local tournaments way back in my younger days). Seeing Billy’s reports has got me interested. There is a small lake in town that has bass in it…….🤔

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
It's a love and obsession🤠
I was so stoked after reading your post @Billy that on a break between meetings today I ran over to a local pond, strung up a rod, and started scouting for bass.

Still pretty early for this spot and topwater wasn’t working (water temp was low 50s) so I switched to a crayfish pattern and started twitching it. Boom! On the board in 2024! Ok I admit just a little guy, but he had a big heart.

I missed a nice fish a few minutes later - got excited and took it right out of his mouth as he was trying to inhale the fly.

Wooohooo! If fishing had a stat sheet like a basketball game, Billy had the assist on this.

IMG_2776.jpeg

Last edited: