Rod Building The Rod Building Thread

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just a headsup:
I used a dark thread trim band under lighter wraps, burying it before doing one more band at the end. It didn't show through until I put the finish on the wrap...now a varicose vein as a reminder not to do it again....hopefully posting this saves others from making the same mistake.

rod wrap v vein.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just a headsup:
I used a dark thread trim band under lighter wraps, burying it before doing one more band at the end. It didn't show through until I put the finish on the wrap...now a varicose vein as a reminder not to do it again....hopefully posting this saves others from making the same mistake.

View attachment 111644
Thanks for the heads up!

Just a headsup:

View attachment 111644
Just looks like a build "style" element. I have seen this done on purpose. You can even use it instead of the alignment dot.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
What do you guys do to mark/sign your rods? My first build, I didn't write anything on it. But this one I'm working on now (just mounted the cork and taped the guides), I'd at least like to get the rod blank name on it.

thanks!
tim

Divad

Whitefish
What do you guys do to mark/sign your rods? My first build, I didn't write anything on it. But this one I'm working on now (just mounted the cork and taped the guides), I'd at least like to get the rod blank name on it.

thanks!
tim
I first bought custom labels online, then I bought a calligraphy pen. Tried all the tips and found one I liked from the kit. Then lightly sanded down the tip to not be so sharp and use Testors Silver Paint. If you get other colors they don’t flow correctly and you’ll have to mix in thinners. The silver and gold flow really nice on one of these pens.

https://a.co/d/ilTR7hs

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Mark my rods? I’m more like this

IMG_1138.jpeg

On another topic: Do any of you have a source for eva upper grips? I want one like on the right (a little less than an inch OD) but I can only find the ones on the left.

IMG_1283.jpeg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Mark my rods? I’m more like this

View attachment 112475

On another topic: Do any of you have a source for eva upper grips? I want one like on the right (a little less than an inch OD) but I can only find the ones on the left.

View attachment 112476
Hmmpgh, a lot of help you are.

One thing I’m learning about with clear wraps. Make sure your hands and wrapping area is really clean. Any marks on the thread will show up once epoxied.

Divad

Whitefish
@mcswny I also grabbed some of the Liquidtex Acrylic paint for nib/dip pens the other day to try out from a recommendation. The Testors is some awesome stuff, I’ve done two labels with it. It does require acetone to remove and if you’re doing a painted blank that’s a no go unless you get it perfect on the first try.

Granted most blanks are not painted, and it doesn’t effect colored fiberglass rods at all or raw graphite.

I grabbed one of the Epson label printers too 🙄 comes today. I only have 1/2in thick white lettering on clear tape so far, but will probably get silver on clear as well in 1/2in. If you want one of those labels done I’ll snail mail you one.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I put the tag ends on the same side as the guides. I also put a tiny (micro) dot of krazy glue where the tag ends cross before trimming.

Btw: That is a cool colour combo..

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Same as Steve. Dot of Sally’s.