The Revolutionary Sage R8

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
Has anyone on this site bought and fished the R8? Is it anything special? How does it compare to the Sage X? What are your thoughts about it?

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Doesn't seem that long ago we were joking about a future with $1,000 mass-produced graphite fly rods.

Well being a thousand dollars only has the purchasing power of about seven hundred these days I'd say they are right in line with the market standard.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm only halfway through the video, but had to point out the massive splash of all the splitshot with one of his backhanded casts. I'm guessing the hip pack is just packed with splitshot?

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just got this in an email.

Yep, it’ll cast your bobber. Throws heavy weights. Mends line. Lands fish. It’s revolutionary!

Wow! LMAO! Sage should win an Oscar for marketing. I'm sure this model is another fine Sage fly rod, but what the hell? I don't have one, but I'm pretty sure I could toss a bobber and split shot with a Shakespeare Wonderrod, solid fiberglass tip and all! The revolutionary part is the revolutionary reach of Sage's advertising.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
$1,050.00 price tag today and a $400.00 repair cost coming when it gets discontinued and replaced with the R8GR in a few year.
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I must admit I would like to (test) cast one. On a good day, with all the stars aligned, my biorhythms running on all eight cylinders, the moon phase appropriate and the tide in - I'm a mediocre caster. For just one day I'd like to be a great caster. Farbank and Sage sure make it seem like the R8 could be the answer.

Last edited:

chief

Carper
Forum Supporter
Loomis has been selling the Asquith for over $1,000 for several years. I don’t remember such a huge outcry when that rod was introduced.

Nobody is forcing you to buy an R8. Personally, I wish I had a fly shop nearby so I could see for myself if the juice is worth the squeeze. I didn't think that was the case when I test drove an Asquith. I will probably feel the same when I eventually test the R8. But I am sure they are nice rods and worth the money to those who can afford the price.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Fly casting is one of the most pleasurable things in life. I love casting any rod I can get my hands on. But it seems like cast before you buy is a thing of the past. Like boxes full of deer and elk hair with the price written in sharpie on the skin. Or buying dyed strung saddle hackle by weight. I hate how sanitary and barcoded fly fishing has become. I wish Sage the best of luck with their new product though.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Asquith saltwater rods are worth the price, excellent fly rods. This new Sage R8 though???

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Seeing this type of new rod advertising makes me thankful I got into the fly fishing business when I did and even more grateful that I chose to get out when I did. Seems like the next step will be offering identical rods in a number of different pastel hues to be complimented by contrasting puffies and matching hoodies.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Maybe Sage will let me trade in my new Sage X (whose reel seat butt section fell off fishing last Monday) for one of these revolutionary new flyrods.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Maybe Sage will let me trade in my new Sage X (whose reel seat butt section fell off fishing last Monday) for one of these revolutionary new flyrods.
The big question is...does it have a new revolutionary reel seat with revolutionary adhesive?:unsure:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
The big question is...does it have a new revolutionary reel seat with revolutionary adhesive?:unsure:
You mean they actually use more than a small glob of adhesive (enough to cover the entire rosewood shaft under the butt cap)?

That would indeed be revolutionary! 🤣