The original knife thread.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a feeling I will always be adding. However, even though my RAT 5 came very close to being perfect I wanted to try another blade this salmon season. I just wanted something a bit smaller, lighter, and is not prone to rust like the RAT 5. Good lord I learned a lot about high carbon steel, and to keep that sucker oiled, and out of the leather sheath for long periods of time. Total rust magnet.
My company gifted me a 100.00 dollar amazon gift card, and decided to spend it on the ESEE-4 Stainless. I did have to run it through my work sharp, and gave the edge a mirror's edge at 5,000 grit. It dispatched my first swung steelhead very well. I cuts open the belly wonderfully.
1708560283714.png

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Oh yeah, what are the blades you love?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I've always had an interest in knives and a few years ago started adding more and more knives to the collection.

In general I'm a folder guy. I'm not a big fan of wearing a fixed blade for most scenarios. (Although some of the pocket sheath fixed blades are starting to appeal to me more and more.)

I carry a folder on me pretty much always. My biological father always believed that a man should just have a knife on him at all times and I guess that stuck.

If money were no object Id have many more knives than the current collection of 30 or so. Unfortunately I am also a fly fisherman so I already have one expensive hobby lol.

My current EDC when I'm just running around town or at home is a Pro Tech Malibu. I love the flipper action on this knife and the button lock is fantastic. Super fun to fidget with. Very slicy but not a blade that feels like it will break if I need to use it a bit more seriously. Flat out disappears in the pocket.

1000002937-01.jpeg

When I'm on the water I carry one of two knives made by Quiet Carry. I'm a big, big fan of this company and their designs.

My first QC knife was a Drift. I love everything about this knife. It's the perfect size for an EDC. Butter smooth action and carries so well in the pocket. Best of all it is built to be completlety corrosion free both the blade and the rest of the knife. I've carried this thing on the salt hundreds of days and not a spec of corrosion. The Vanax steel is wonderful.

20221215_104657.jpg

This year QC came out with a larger version called the Drift OC. I loved the Drift enough that I had to order one and do not regret it. It's significantly larger, but doesn't feel like it in the pocket. LC200 steel and also designed around being corrosion proof. Only thing I would change about this knife is adding a thumb stud. I'm not the biggest fan of the thumb hole for deployment, but it's not a huge deal. I've carried this one every day Ive spent on the water since June and again zero corrosion to be found. I'd be hard pressed to choose just one of these knives if I had to. This thing will cut plug a herring quite well also lol

20240221_184138.jpg

When I anticipate needing a serious knife to do some heavy duty work I typically grab this Hinderer XM-18. 3.5. Just a beast of a knife made by Rick Hinderer that is a bit heavier than I like for general EDC use but is a serious tool that will handle anything I could possibly put it through.

1000002935-01.jpeg

The other large, serious knife I tend to reach for is this Spartan Harsay. Another absolute beast of a knife that is also just cool as hell. I like it so much that I finally sold my similarly sized Chris Reeves Sebenza 31 as this was the blade I always chose over it anyway.

20240221_184104.jpg

I have a whole pile of other knives in the collection but I reckon if I had to pair my collection down to a few these would be the ones I'd keep.

Knives are cool!

Last edited:

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I know a knife maker I've been wanting a knife from. Served with 1SFG, where my 2 BILs served in. This was a planned retirement gift to myself. He makes everything, including the kydex sheath. He's a fly fisherman to boot.

Wasn't looking for anything fancy or blinged out. Wanted a simple blade with an angle good for all around use (kitchen work if needed, chopping, dressing catch, etc). Really happy with it. Just picked it up last week.

Made by RO Knives in Roy, WA if you're curious.
1000015494.jpg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
possessions have never meant much to me, consider 99% just stuff...not this knife.
Hand made from a mill saw blade by my dear friend (RIP) Capt Al Guest, gifted when I earned my 60 ton license in the early 70's and signed on to the 65' I ran. The sheath, made by his wife, was set up cross draw, so if working on tangled lines a quick draw and slice was always available.
IMG_20240225_105513587.jpg

Chadk

Life of the Party
I love show and tell. I've collected many over the years. Most are nothing special, but a few are sentimental. My grandpa's old fillet knife is one. The deer handle knife made by a local guy that was an anniversary present. My Swiss army knife a client gave me as company swag about 30 years ago. A benchmade my son got ne for father's day. The hatchet another son got me. The spider spiderco my daughter gave me....

1000008791.jpg1000008790.jpg1000008789.jpg1000008787.jpg1000008786.jpg1000008785.jpg

The folding Kershaw- my friend made the leather sheath. The kbar is my workhorse when camping.

Attachments

• 1000008788.jpg
    1000008788.jpg
    952.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
One of the many small multi tool/ knives I can carry daily in my NPE employment. Gerber Armbar, black edition. Gerber has a reputation for being hard to sharpen and stay that way. This one is no different.

Attachments

• 20240316_131409.jpg
    20240316_131409.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 2

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
But, my long term favorite knife is this one. Made by the late James "Kelley" Hagwood @ 1990. It's been with me on multiple overseas jobs and goes with me on camping trips. He also made the "Holster" as he called it.

Attachments

• 20240316_131046.jpg
    20240316_131046.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 15