The most anticipated hatch of the year

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Scrolling through old photos, I can't help but think about June in the Northern Rockies. Still a bit of snow on the peaks, skies are blue, grass is green, days are long, and the rivers are dropping.

DSC_6465.jpg

DSC_3148.jpg

DSC_3346.jpg

001(98).jpg

And of course, the arrival of the most anticipated hatch of the year.

DSC_6385.jpg

DSC_6395.jpg

15C12D73-00BB-43A3-9D07-802781C20979_zpszxaoe4gd.jpg

6CF7E571_1C62_473F_831B_060A0D2283DE_FullSizeRender.jpg

This hatch is as good a chance as you will get all year to catch a quality trout on a dry.

9A1D21BB_0DF3_4969_917C_9A3785E44A1B_IMG_6420.HEIC

001(113).jpg

15ae4fea-6d14-4d1a-b3ca-8ead3fcbf3bd_zps3a3dtjjz.jpg

333F7AD9-219B-4BA4-A12F-B79110B922BA_zpsam3tgcwm.jpg

I'll chase this thing for a month starting in Idaho and finishing in the YNP. Thankfully, she understands and usually wants to get in on some of the action.

DSC_6341.jpg

You got a hatch/season that you most look forward to?

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Scrolling through old photos, I can't help but think about June in the Northern Rockies. Still a bit of snow on the peaks, skies are blue, grass is green, days are long, and the rivers are dropping.

DSC_6465.jpg

DSC_3148.jpg

DSC_3346.jpg

001(98).jpg

And of course, the arrival of the most anticipated hatch of the year.

DSC_6385.jpg

DSC_6395.jpg

15C12D73-00BB-43A3-9D07-802781C20979_zpszxaoe4gd.jpg

6CF7E571_1C62_473F_831B_060A0D2283DE_FullSizeRender.jpg

This hatch is as good a chance as you will get all year to catch a quality trout on a dry.

9A1D21BB_0DF3_4969_917C_9A3785E44A1B_IMG_6420.HEIC

001(113).jpg

15ae4fea-6d14-4d1a-b3ca-8ead3fcbf3bd_zps3a3dtjjz.jpg

333F7AD9-219B-4BA4-A12F-B79110B922BA_zpsam3tgcwm.jpg

I'll chase this thing for a month starting in Idaho and finishing in the YNP. Thankfully, she understands and usually wants to get in on some of the action.

DSC_6341.jpg

You got a hatch/season that you most look forward to?
Someday. Someday.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I only found one spot on the Yakima where I could get takers on Skwalas super fun that one spot :)

One of my favorites is the March Brown hatch in Western Montana. Hatches can be thick but seeing noses on top in winter is really fun.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
In Australia, my dad and I would drive about 16 hours to fish the Kosciuszko dun hatch. We don't get a lot of big aquatic insects and they're the biggest mayflies we get; roughly size 8 and thicc. The fishing can be amazing. @Wadin' Boot probably knows what I'm talking about.

1643663069039.jpeg

Since moving to 'Merica, I haven't had an opportunity to properly chase the big hatches. We caught the start of the October caddis action, on the Naches, when my wife and I were camping there in 2020. That was a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
In Australia, my dad and I would drive about 16 hours to fish the Kosciuszko dun hatch. We don't get a lot of big aquatic insects and they're the biggest mayflies we get; roughly size 8 and thicc. The fishing can be amazing. @Wadin' Boot probably knows what I'm talking about.

View attachment 1368

Since moving to 'Merica, I haven't had an opportunity to properly chase the big hatches. We caught the start of the October caddis action, on the Naches, when my wife and I were camping there in 2020. That was a lot of fun.
If I get the raft out for the Mother's day caddis hatch this year on the yak I'll holler at ya. Not sure if you'll have time w/ the newborn and all, but it's one of the bigger local hatches - it can be quite prolific.

We can write a trip report afterwards about how I convinced you that euronymphing is for losers. 😆

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
If I get the raft out for the Mother's day caddis hatch this year on the yak I'll holler at ya. Not sure if you'll have time w/ the newborn and all, but it's one of the bigger local hatches - it can be quite prolific.

We can write a trip report afterwards about how I convinced you that euronymphing is for losers. 😆

Not a newborn. But here's my, at the time, 5 month old strapped to my chest while fishing in N. California.IMG_3886.JPG

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter

That would be very cool. Thanks for the offer. If I explain the significance of the event, the ball and chain might even let me go. 😇

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Do you see a pretty significant distribution of timing based on elevation? Or is it pretty consistent based on time of year (regardless of elevation)?
Have seen the biggest emergences in the westside high lakes of 2,500 feet to 4,000 feet elevation in the second half of June and the first part of July. The lake where I took the picture is 3,700 feet high and there was a huge hatch on June 22. Seemed like every fish in the lake was looking up. If you look closely at the pic you can see several swirls and rings at the far end of the lake and a mayfly in the foreground.
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 2.21.58 PM.png

I think the emergences are later at high elevation lakes. Am used to seeing callibaetis all summer at the high lakes but seldom a heavy enough hatch to prompt selective feeding.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Have seen the biggest emergences in the westside high lakes of 2,500 feet to 4,000 feet elevation in the second half of June and the first part of July...
I think the emergences are later at high elevation lakes. Am used to seeing callibaetis all summer at the high lakes but seldom a heavy enough hatch to prompt selective feeding.
^^^^
Looking up, not very selective, and often coming in nearshore for the hatch where they can be reached with a roll cast (when no backcast room), and even a Tenkara rod with level line, especially when there is a nearshore shelf below scree-talus field. A conventional fly line makes enough disturbance on a calm surface to scatter nearby fish, but they will often come back to take the fly if I'm willing to wait. A T-rod level line cast has no line disturbance. Only the fly plops onto the water and is like a dinner bell to the fish. Keep a muted & low profile above the crystal clear water and they will come.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
A conventional fly line makes enough disturbance on a calm surface to scatter nearby fish, but they will often come back to take the fly if I'm willing to wait. A T-rod level line cast has no line disturbance. Only the fly plops onto the water and is like a dinner bell to the fish. Keep a muted & low profile above the crystal clear water and they will come.

I have often wondered about Tenkara, on lakes. How does Tenkara casting work, when there's no back cast room? Do you just bow and arrow cast? Also, how long of a rod do you use and how far can you cast?

My favorite way to fish tiny creeks is with a long rod and no fly line. Basically Tenkara, with a reel. It's ridiculously stealthy and effective. Using a fly line just spooks all the fish.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
^^^^
Looking up, not very selective, and often coming in nearshore for the hatch where they can be reached with a roll cast (when no backcast room), and even a Tenkara rod with level line, especially when there is a nearshore shelf below scree-talus field. A conventional fly line makes enough disturbance on a calm surface to scatter nearby fish, but they will often come back to take the fly if I'm willing to wait. A T-rod level line cast has no line disturbance. Only the fly plops onto the water and is like a dinner bell to the fish. Keep a muted & low profile above the crystal clear water and they will come.
I've seen the tenkara guys struggle on marl bottomed or muddy high lakes with gentle sloping shores. They can't cast far enough to get over fish. Agree that tenkara is effective at high lakes steep banks when fish are close to shore. I had just dropped my pack on the wooded shores of a high lake last summer when a fish rose in the shallow water almost at my feet. I roll casted maybe 10 feet of line and took this fish without getting my feet wet.
F3E48A23-5599-451B-8B6E-8A4D875E99D4_1_105_c.jpeg

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I've seen the tenkara guys struggle on marl bottomed or muddy high lakes with gentle sloping shores.
(y)+1 = me
I tried to describe my ideal high lake "Tenkara" rod scenario. Fishing in deeper water off logs also works but at my age I don't feel comfortable walking out on logs over deep water. Also my 17' "Keiryu" rod and a 17' level line can easily make a 28' tight line fly first presentation.

Honestly my experience is the same as mentioned by anglers at the Trail Blazers - High Lakers forum that the most successful method of fishing high lakes is gear; (ul) spinning rod and & spinners, though I prefer, and am successful with a 1/32 oz classic red & white Daredevel spoon, replacing the treble hook with a single barbless.

Next most effective for me has been a fishing a fly with a (ul) spinning rod and a Double X (formerly Rainbow Plastics) 1/8 ounce (chartreuse) Torpedo Float (solid, not water-fillable).

After that, and my overall favorite, is fly fishing with either a western fly rod or Tenkara rod from my Wilderness Lite Backpacker Pro float tube. My entire kit for a western rod & reel including pump, waders, fins & PFD weighs right at 10 lbs and takes up 1000 cu in of pack volume. I've taken that kit up through the High Divide into Seven Lakes Basin & Upper Foss Lakes for 4 day trips, and numerous one day trips of 2-4 miles.

A Tenkara variation saves a pound or so and a couple hundred cu in but line management and fish control while floating is harder than using a western fly rod & reel. Next time I'm going to try a short line and fish Keiryu style.

Last edited:

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
One of my favorites is the March Brown hatch in Western Montana.

As hit or miss as salmon flies can be, seems whenever I get into March browns the fish are on 'em.

I'm a high lakes guy so for me it's callibaetis.

I got introduced to gulpers this year on Hebgen. Way harder than most people make it out to be but super fun.