The Mole Crab - A Tough One to Imitate

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Mole Crab (Emerita sp.) is also known as Sand Crab or Sand Flea. As far as I can tell, there aren't many fly patterns trying to imitate this common beach forage. Even the ones that do, don't do a good job of replicating the hard shell of this crab. Commonly found in the surf zone of beaches, the Mole Crab is a favorite forage for Pompano and other target species that ply the surf zone of beaches. They are particularly important during spawning when the crabs hold masses of eggs on their abdomen. They are small, usually less than 1.5", compact, can't swim well and are designed to withstand pounding surf when they are not buried in the sand.
Mole Crab.jpg Mole Crab wEggs.jpg

Since I try and spend a few days plying the beaches from Venice to Cortez when I visit Florida in the spring and fall, I thought I'd give a Mole Crab pattern a try using press-on nails to replicate the hard shell. I am still experimenting with various materials and tying techniques but here are a few of the initial attempts.
P2270070.JPGP2270071.JPGP2270072.JPGP2270073.JPGP2270074.JPGP2270075.JPG

I think the use of medium cactus chenille for the underside is probably the best of the bunch (1st three flies). Dubbing and Polar Chenille don't work as well in my estimation. The one aspect I am pleased with is the use of either Web Wing or Thin Skin under the press-on nail to create a detailed pattern for the shell. We'll see if they manage to fool anything in a month or so.

Last edited:

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
Do you coat the mallard flank with any sort of silicone just to extend the life of it?
Do you coat the mallard flank with any sort of silicone just to extend the life of it?
I just put some varnish on my fingers and pulled the feathers through. Feather Tough or Daves Flexament would work too or SHHN. I like Mike's use of the fingernails. I bought a box of assorted sizes in WalMart but never got around to using them. Probably much more durable.

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
The Mole Crab (Emerita sp.) is also known as Sand Crab or Sand Flea. As far as I can tell, there aren't many fly patterns trying to imitate this common beach forage. Even the ones that do, don't do a good job of replicating the hard shell of this crab. Commonly found in the surf zone of beaches, the Mole Crab is a favorite forage for Pompano and other target species that ply the surf zone of beaches. They are particularly important during spawning when the crabs hole masses of eggs on their abdomen. They are small, usually less than 1.5", compact, can't swim well and are designed to withstand pounding surf when they are not buried in the sand.
View attachment 105081 View attachment 105080

Since I try and spend a few days plying the beaches from Venice to Cortez when I visit Florida in the spring and fall, I thought I'd give a Mole Crab pattern a try using press-on nails to replicate the hard shell. I am still experimenting with various materials and tying techniques but here are a few of the initial attempts.
View attachment 105074View attachment 105075View attachment 105076View attachment 105077View attachment 105078View attachment 105079

I think the use of medium cactus chenille for the underside is probably the best of the bunch (1st three flies). Dubbing and Polar Chenille don't work as well in my estimation. The one aspect I am pleased with is the use of either Web Wing or Thin Skin under the press-on nail to create a detailed pattern for the shell. We'll see if they manage to fool anything in a month or so.
I’d eat it…